Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Instead of having a true go-to receiver, the team has taken the “wide receiver-by-committee” approach, with mixed results at best
    The Vikings have yet to fully recover from the loss the Moss and the level of production and fear he brought to the offense.
    I'll be so happy when sports writers and fans figure out that we aren't still trying to replace Moss.
    Hell, for that matter, we aren't trying to get a "True Number 1 Reciever" at all and are looking to solidify a WR Corp that is a reciever by committe concept.

    I know its hard to comprehend for those that loved to see Moss deep every throw, but those days are gone and will never return under this staffs offensive scheme.

    Ball control, dink and dunk with a occasional deep ball to stretch the defense/keep them honest approach to the passing game is what we will see for many years to come.

    :

    Name a great offense...and I can give you QB with a go-to guy.
    I don't want a great offense.
    We had that in the past.
    I want a superbowl victory.
    Give me Tampa Bay or a Baltimore offense than can win in January and Feburary.
    I will toast to that.
    We have a good offense that needs TJ to step up to be great. We have 3 go to guys in Rice, Berrian, and Wade.

  2. #12
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "El" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

    Ball control, dink and dunk with a occasional deep ball to stretch the defense/keep them honest approach to the passing game is what we will see for many years to come.

    :
    Roger that,Hunter,roger that.
    Totally concur... play the game San Fran did in the Montana era... control the ball, move down the field like a machine... don't get stuck in 3rd and long... demoralize the opposing "D"... dominate time of possession.


    None of the quick strike days of Moss, where the Vikes "D" is on the field all the time and are exhausted by the 4th quarter.
    "D" gets the 3 and out... "O" has a 7 to 12 play scoring drive.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  3. #13
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "gagarr" wrote:
    "El" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

    Ball control, dink and dunk with a occasional deep ball to stretch the defense/keep them honest approach to the passing game is what we will see for many years to come.

    :
    Roger that,Hunter,roger that.
    Totally concur... play the game San Fran did in the Montana era... control the ball, move down the field like a machine... don't get stuck in 3rd and long... demoralize the opposing "D"... dominate time of possession.


    None of the quick strike days of Moss, where the Vikes "D" is on the field all the time and are exhausted by the 4th quarter.
    "D" gets the 3 and out... "O" has a 7 to 12 play scoring drive.

    There was no "Tampa 2" back then....which is designed to stop the WCO.

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Instead of having a true go-to receiver, the team has taken the “wide receiver-by-committee” approach, with mixed results at best
    The Vikings have yet to fully recover from the loss the Moss and the level of production and fear he brought to the offense.
    I'll be so happy when sports writers and fans figure out that we aren't still trying to replace Moss.
    Hell, for that matter, we aren't trying to get a "True Number 1 Reciever" at all and are looking to solidify a WR Corp that is a reciever by committe concept.

    I know its hard to comprehend for those that loved to see Moss deep every throw, but those days are gone and will never return under this staffs offensive scheme.

    Ball control, dink and dunk with a occasional deep ball to stretch the defense/keep them honest approach to the passing game is what we will see for many years to come.

    :

    Name a great offense...and I can give you QB with a go-to guy.
    Name a great offense....and I will give you several go-to-guys.


    Truth of the matter is, great offenses aren't great because of one guy.
    They have balance and can attack your weakness from several different options.

    Show me an offense that has one go-to-guy and I will show you a team that isn't consistent, especially when they face a defense that can take that one threat away.

    Moss - Raiders........Shitty (Randy was the only playmaker)
    Moss - Patriots........Record setting.
    (Myriad of playmakers)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "Chazz" wrote:
    There was no "Tampa 2" back then....which is designed to stop the WCO.
    Very nice post Chazz.


    Even though there was no such thing as the Tampa 2 back then, D-cords were messing around with how to stop the WCO and you did see some versions of what would become the T2.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #16
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    There was no "Tampa 2" back then....which is designed to stop the WCO.
    Very nice post Chazz.


    Even though there was no such thing as the Tampa 2 back then, D-cords were messing around with how to stop the WCO and you did see some versions of what would become the T2.
    The WCO has evolved too. The young WR's we have in Allison, and Rice will contribute big time this year. The addition of Berrian will raise the level of play in the whole group. Berrian, and Allison will stretch the field, and Wade and Rice will get separation. I think Rice will be another Cris Carter for us. He is big, can body up on someone and is a little faster than Carter was. Another key to success is Shiancoe and Tapeh getting down the seam, or out in the flat. Put this all together and our whole recieving game will be better this year.

  7. #17
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    Why is Berrian not regarded as a #1 receiver?

    - He was the #1 receiver in Chicago.
    - He had 17 more catches than our best receiver last year.
    - Among receivers, he was top 20 in catches. Everyone above, except for Shaun McDonald, is a #1 receiver. Players such as Boldin, Ward, Bowe, and Buress were below him.
    - 22 In Receiving yards among receivers. Higher than Greg Jennings and Lee Evans.
    - There are 32 teams in the NFL. Not all of them (Vikings, Titans, Jaguars) had #1 guys, but Berrian is above the cut line.

    Is Berrian an elite, game changing receiver? No, but I believe there is a distinction between that and being a #1 WR, which Berrian is. In any event, he is a major upgrade for us. We did not have a #1 WR last year. We have one now.

    I expect 70 catches, 900 yards, and 5 TDs. That's what he had last year, when he was the only weapon on the offense.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  8. #18
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "V" wrote:
    Why is Berrian not regarded as a #1 receiver?

    - He was the #1 receiver in Chicago.
    - He had 17 more catches than our best receiver last year.
    - Among receivers, he was top 20 in catches. Everyone above, except for Shaun McDonald, is a #1 receiver. Players such as Boldin, Ward, Bowe, and Buress were below him.
    - 22 In Receiving yards among receivers. Higher than Greg Jennings and Lee Evans.
    - There are 32 teams in the NFL. Not all of them (Vikings, Titans, Jaguars) had #1 guys, but Berrian is above the cut line.

    Is Berrian an elite, game changing receiver? No, but I believe there is a distinction between that and being a #1 WR, which Berrian is. In any event, he is a major upgrade for us. We did not have a #1 WR last year. We have one now.

    I expect 70 catches, 900 yards, and 5 TDs. That's what he had last year, when he was the only weapon on the offense.
    I think those numbers are easily reachable. In 16 games, that averages 4.375 catches and 56.25 yards per. Is that enough to move the safety out of the box? I think it will be.
    And if he does get 70+ catches,
    I actually think his numbers will be closer to 1000yards (averaging 14.5 yards per catch as opposed to 12.8).

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "V" wrote:
    Why is Berrian not regarded as a #1 receiver?

    - He was the #1 receiver in Chicago.
    - He had 17 more catches than our best receiver last year.
    - Among receivers, he was top 20 in catches. Everyone above, except for Shaun McDonald, is a #1 receiver. Players such as Boldin, Ward, Bowe, and Buress were below him.
    - 22 In Receiving yards among receivers. Higher than Greg Jennings and Lee Evans.
    - There are 32 teams in the NFL. Not all of them (Vikings, Titans, Jaguars) had #1 guys, but Berrian is above the cut line.

    Is Berrian an elite, game changing receiver? No, but I believe there is a distinction between that and being a #1 WR, which Berrian is. In any event, he is a major upgrade for us. We did not have a #1 WR last year. We have one now.

    I expect 70 catches, 900 yards, and 5 TDs. That's what he had last year, when he was the only weapon on the offense.
    Again, it backs to what you call a number one reciever.
    Is it the guy who makes the most catches?
    Is it the guy who runs the deep route.
    Is it the guy that will catch the most TDs?

    I agree he is a very nice upgrade and that he will help solidify the WR corp, but again, when talking about a WCO you don't use the term #1, #2 or #3.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    ItalianStallion's Avatar
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,615

    Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Instead of having a true go-to receiver, the team has taken the “wide receiver-by-committee” approach, with mixed results at best
    The Vikings have yet to fully recover from the loss the Moss and the level of production and fear he brought to the offense.
    I'll be so happy when sports writers and fans figure out that we aren't still trying to replace Moss.
    Hell, for that matter, we aren't trying to get a "True Number 1 Reciever" at all and are looking to solidify a WR Corp that is a reciever by committe concept.

    I know its hard to comprehend for those that loved to see Moss deep every throw, but those days are gone and will never return under this staffs offensive scheme.

    Ball control, dink and dunk with a occasional deep ball to stretch the defense/keep them honest approach to the passing game is what we will see for many years to come.

    :

    Name a great offense...and I can give you QB with a go-to guy.
    I don't want a great offense.
    We had that in the past.
    I want a superbowl victory.
    Give me Tampa Bay or a Baltimore offense than can win in January and Feburary.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that those offenses were better in any situation (playoffs, regular season etc.) than the ones we had with Moss.
    Those superbowl wins were all defense.


    I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Positional Analysis: Tight Ends
    By Mr-holland in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 06:51 PM
  2. Vikings Positional Analysis: Running Backs
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 07:42 AM
  3. Will Vikings select another wide receiver?
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 03:08 AM
  4. Vikings sign veteran wide receiver
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 05:31 AM
  5. Jim Souhan - Vikings miss a certain wide receiver
    By Muggsy in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 08:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •