Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Vikings Positional Analysis: Tight Ends

Positional Analysis: Tight Ends
    http://min.scout.com/2/754176.html

By John Holler

Posted May 12, 2008

The Vikings have a decent amount of money tied up in the tight end position, which didn’t produce numbers typical of players at the position in a West Coast Offense.

Of all the positions that were deficient for the Vikings in 2007, perhaps the only one that got no attention in the offseason was tight end. While the Vikings made moves – major or minor – to upgrade at defensive end, wide receiver, safety and quarterback, no moves were made at tight end. This came as a surprise to some, since the underachievement at tight end was about as pronounced as any on the team.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings Positional Analysis: Tight Ends

Many of the other teams in the NFL that run the WCO have invested high draft picks or serious free-agent money to bring in a pass-catching tight end that can stretch the defense down the middle seam and open up big-play possibilities for both themselves and others. The Vikings have clearly not been one of those teams.
    I'm not so sure people can see the writing on the wall sometimes.

Maybe, just maybe, we are watching a different form of the WCO with respect to the old way of thinking....
    Pass to setup the run.

As I've said repeatedly, we put a heck of alot more emphasis on running than we do blocking.
    Heck even our WR's seem to be better blockers than pass catchers at times.
    Throw in other indicators like the implementation of a blocking scheme designed to support the run, two stud RB's, extra roster spots used on blocking TE's and FB's and you would think that eventually people (and sportswriters) would get a clue on this.

Even though we are labled as a WCO, the variant that is based on the premise that we will "Run to set up the Pass" relying on play action fakes, short dinks and dunks etc to control ball, eat up the clock all the while keeping our Defense off the field.

Kleinsasser, who was designated as the Vikings’ franchise player just a few years ago under a different offensive scheme, has been reduced to almost a complete non-factor in the Vikings pass offense
    That kindof says it all for me.

:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Even though we are labled as a WCO, the variant that is based on the premise that we will "Run to set up the Pass" relying on play action fakes, short dinks and dunks etc to control ball, eat up the clock all the while keeping our Defense off the field.
    Thats what I've been saying for a while now; we might use a WCO-style playbook, routes, schemes, etc. but our game plan is always exactly opposite of the traditional WCO. We are much more of a 'smashmouth' style offense that just happens to use a WCO playbook.

I think between our amazing ground game, Jackson's maturation and our top-notch defense, I think our main goal every game is going to be to dominate in time of possession so the other team doesn't even get a chance to score.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I look at us like an altered Atlanta. Very run heavy and Vicks primary safety valve was Crumpler. In almost every situation when a developing QB is struggling the team goes out and gets him a TE available for him to check down to. I think we maybe doing Jackson a disservice. In fact Vince was /is struggling so what did Ten do? They went out and go thim said TE.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Pretty sure that Chilly has long term plans for Garrett Mills... call me crazy.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    I agree. We still have not seen him on the field yet except for the last game but I am sure we will this year.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I look at us like an altered Atlanta. Very run heavy and Vicks primary safety valve was Crumpler. In almost every situation when a developing QB is struggling the team goes out and gets him a TE available for him to check down to. I think we maybe doing Jackson a disservice. In fact Vince was /is struggling so what did Ten do? They went out and go thim said TE.
    But that is wrong to think that way.
    Heck just by watching this team play you should now we don't operate like that.

If TJ can't get his first and second read he will/should check down to the back in the flats not a TE especially if there isn't a TE in the route because he is in blocking.

Again, we aren't like a typical WCO that everyone seems to want to try to fit us into.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"C" wrote:
    I agree.........

He is gonna be a hell of a H-back as he is to small to be an everydown TE.
    ;D

Seriously though.
    When he comes into the game as a TE it will be an instant tip off that we are passing because of his size.
    I look to see him used more of a H-back with him lining up in the FB position and then splitting out or catching balls in the flat if he doesn't have to block a LB coming up the middle in a blitz package.

But I dont' see him lining up on the line and helping out a T very much.

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thats what I've been saying for a while now; we might use a WCO-style playbook, routes, schemes, etc. but our game plan is always exactly opposite of the traditional WCO. We are much more of a 'smashmouth' style offense that just happens to use a WCO playbook.

I think between our amazing ground game, Jackson's maturation and our top-notch defense, I think our main goal every game is going to be to dominate in time of possession so the other team doesn't even get a chance to score.
    I almost disagree'd with you in another thread (about the Bears Defense).
    Glad I let it go know.
    ;D

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    But that is wrong to think that way.
    Heck just by watching this team play you should now we don't operate like that.

If TJ can't get his first and second read he will/should check down to the back in the flats not a TE especially if there isn't a TE in the route because he is in blocking.

Again, we aren't like a typical WCO that everyone seems to want to try to fit us into.
    Then why did we spend so much on Shank just to have another blocking TE on the roster?

Unlike this free-agent season, last year the Vikings made very few free-agent signings. Of those, Shiancoe was supposed to be the crown jewel. The Vikings gave Shiancoe a big contract and promised that he would be much more of an offensive threat than he was in his four years with the Giants, where he primarily served as a blocking end opposite Pro Bowler Jeremy Shockey. By any most measures, Shiancoe did not live up to the billing, catching just 27 passes for 323 yards and one touchdown, with almost 25 percent of his season total for yardage coming on one catch.
    Maybe we are primarily a run oriented team, because that is where our strengthand talent lies and not because that's the way Childress' intended for his KAO to operate when he came to Minny.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast