singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings 'Ponder' passing problems vs. Lions

Vikings 'Ponder' passing problems vs. Lions - chicagotribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    A few key notes from the article....

Harassed and hurried, the Florida State product has looked like a rookie again ever since, failing to recognize things pre-snap and undergoing a complete breakdown in mechanics.
    "One thing I need to continue is to keep stepping up in the pocket and not flushing left or right, but keep moving forward."

The problem is Ponder has been saying that for weeks now. He recognizes the issues but sliding in the pocket or stepping up while displaying at least passable fundamentals is an innate ability which can't be taught. When the bullets start flying, Ponder regresses to what's natural to him, and his default settings are just not conducive to solid quarterback play at the NFL level.
    That's what I keep wondering. Poor mechanics have been part of the issue for weeks now. Both Ponder, Frazier & even some outside critics have said it can be fixed, yet we see nothing on the field in terms of progress that shows it is being fixed/addressed. The latter bolded part is what we end up seeing.

Musgrave began losing confidence in Ponder and the second-year starter has thrown all eight of his interceptions in the last five games. Overall, the Vikings have 12 turnovers in those five contests and almost all of them are directly related to Ponder, who has been making extremely poor decisions, particularly when he's out of the pocket trying to extend plays.
    Lack of protection is obviously part of the problem. Indecisiveness, poor mechanics & poor decisions compound that problem, especially when the blitz is on. Every team from this point forward will be bringing it now that we've been exposed, but there's been very little progress, if any, being made to counter it.

If it means setting AD's ass on the bench on passing downs like we did routinely when Taylor was here to have a better blocker in there, then by all means do it. I'd much rather see them fix AD's pass blocking skills than do that, but the coaches have failed to address it in the past 6 years & I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Ponder apologists point to a lack of separation from Minnesota's pedestrian wide receiver group, but the "All-22" coaches film tells a different story. Time and time again, the opposition is sticking eight or even nine in the box to stop Peterson and Ponder has been unable or unwilling to take advantage of play-action. He simply doesn't have the confidence to grip it and rip it.
    This reflects what Harvin has been saying & perhaps why he blew up last week out of frustration. Contrary to popular belief here, receivers are getting open, but Ponder, for whatever reason, refuses to take advantage of it. Perhaps in fear of turning it over because there's not a mile of separation.
    Last edited by singersp; 11-10-2012 at 09:21 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Wow....we should probably draft a LT in the first round to solidify the pass protection and enhance the offense.

What's that? We already did that?

Oh.

Crap.

Guess that was a bullshit idea.

Caine

PS: I love taht they're now calling them "Ponder Apologists"...wonder where they got that term from?

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Well, he needs to live up to his hype

I've said it before 2 rockets 3 noodles his shoulder is bad
    Reminds
    me of Pennington
    None

Starting to remind me of Tony Danza.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    I'll call your Danza and raise you a Robert Carradine.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    If it goes bad the first half tomorrow, which is likely, I think we will see Webb in the second half.

WWBGD