Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings, Ponder coming back to Earth

Minnesota Vikings, Christian Ponder coming back to Earth

Minnesota Vikings, Christian Ponder coming back to Earth - NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ponder has been the king of short tosses this year, completing almost 90 percent of his passes thrown behind the line and almost 65 percent on passes thrown less than 10 yards. But when the Vikings ask Ponder to make plays down the field with his arm, his accuracy and production plummet. Ponder has not even attempted a pass over 30 yards in the air all season
    I hadn't realized Ponder hasn't even attempted a 30+ yarder yet, but outside of Harvin, who do we have that can get that far down field that quickly? Simpson just isn't showing that kind of speed.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Guess it depends on who's stats you use, his espn stats have him 0-1 31-40 yard throw and you can't say that one is yac

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I hadn't realized Ponder hasn't even attempted a 30+ yarder yet, but outside of Harvin, who do we have that can get that far down field that quickly? Simpson just isn't showing that kind of speed.
    Agreed...nor is Burton, Jenkins, or, for that matter, Rudolph. The two rooks from Arkansas going down hurt the plans quite a bit I think. And, Simpson simply hasn't panned out. Many of us have been pointing out that the Vikes need to address the WR position...they still do. This team had deficiencies at virtually every position going into the offseason, Spielman hit on most...but really missed the mark with WRs.

In order for Ponder to be consistently good, he needs help from WRs, like Freeman's pair bailed him out on few less than perfect throws. The fact that Peterson has performed at the level he has is testimony to how special he is. Compare/contrast Peterson to Ponder...our QB simply needs more help. Oh, and he needs to stop making boneheaded short throws to the other team too.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    But we have the cap room and there are players out there who we could bring in to try and get things going. I know he is up there in age but at least give a guy like Burress a shot at seeing if he can help. I would also be open to having Webb or the hyphen master play a series or 2 a half to see if the offense responds any differently with them under center.

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Guess it depends on who's stats you use, his espn stats have him 0-1 31-40 yard throw and you can't say that one is yac
    I thought he had thrown at least one really long one down the right sideline that wasn't caught/went out of bounds.

I'm surprised by the fact that he's only 50% on passes over 10 yards. I thought it was much higher than that.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It is a small sample size.

LOL, looking at the link VG posted, you can look at those stats several different ways. For instance, Ponder's pass completion %, avg yards per pass & QB ratings are higher and interceptions fewer in games that we lose compared to games we won. That would mean the more we lose, the better he gets.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    When defenses take away the short throws and challenge Ponder to drive the ball down the field, the Vikings quarterback fails to deliver.
    There it is...Teams are daring us to throw it deep and taking away the short game. Not sure if its Ponder's arm, lack of a deep threat or a little of both.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    There it is...Teams are daring us to throw it deep and taking away the short game. Not sure if its Ponder's arm, lack of a deep threat or a little of both.
    That is exactly what is happening. Teams are daring him and in the next few games you don't see them attack the deep middle of the field I'd start worrying that the talk of Ponder's weak arm are accurate. The stuff they are running lately just is not going to cut it with the way defenses are shrinking the field on Ponder. We will see what this coaching staff is made of from this point forward. I have a feeling it's going to get really ugly with maybe one win the second half. If that happens you need to really question Frasier being a head guy. All good teams adjust.. Let's see what Les does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast