Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Is a Vikings playoff run so far fetched if they beat the Packers?

OK, let me start with that I'm not about to get my hopes up too much at this point.
    This team still appears to be fatally flawed in terms of passing the ball and in terms of defending the pass.
    An even bigger obstacle may be that for a wild card spot, we are three games behind the Lions and Giants.

Yet, let's take a look at the remainder of the Vikings schedule:

@GB
    OAK
    @NYG
    DET
    @SF
    CHI
    WAS
    @DEN

If the Vikings manage to defeat the Packers at Lambeau on Sunday, I only see one game where I think the Vikings will be a decided underdog...that is the one at the Giants.
    Let's look at the Vikings remaining opponents:

Oakland has to come into the Dome, and while many of their losses have been respectable, they too offer little in the way of a passing attack (166 ypg, rank 28th) and their strength (running the ball) plays into the Vikings defensive strength.
    They also allow 152 rushing yards per game, ranking 30th.

Detroit also must come into the Dome.
    The Vikings were mere inches away from beating the Lions at Ford Field with a last second Longwell FG.
    Before last week's outburst against the Broncos, Jon Kitna had gone three straight games without throwing a TD pass.
    To be sure, this is one the Vikings HAVE to win to have any hope of besting the Motor City Kitties for the wild card.
    The Lions did an excellent job of containing AD in the first meeting (66 yards in 20 carries), and the Lions did throw for 393 yards against the Vikings, but they also turned the ball over five times to the Vikings five turnovers (including 4 picks by TJack).
    The Vikings have now gone four straight games without throwing an interception.

San Francisco is miserable with no passing game (133 ypg, rank 32nd), and stopping Frank Gore plays into the Vikings strength.
    Gore only managed 41 yards on 19 carries in last season's contest. The 49ers have only managed to score 104 points, ranking 31st.
    Their rush defense allows 127 ypg, ranking 24th.
    This should be an easy win if the Vikings avoid the turnover bug.

Chicago then visits the Metrodome on Monday Night Football.
    The Bears passing attack can be potent at times, but as we have seen already they can be vulnerable to the run (131 ypg, rank 26th).
    We already beat them at their place, and a better effort at keeping the ball away from Devin Hester and preventing the big play seems like a good recipe for success against the Bears.

Then the Redskins come into the Dome.
    Despite their winning record, they too offer little in the way of a passing attack (181 ypg, rank 26th), and have thrown only 6 TD passes, (5 to the TE and none to the WRs).
    They are one of the better running teams in the league (again, playing into the strength of the Vikings D), but also have one of the better rushing D's in the league (95 ypg, rank 9th).
    This could be a very low scoring game, but it is at least a home game for the Vikings.

Finally, the Vikings travel to Denver for the season finale at Invesco Field.
    The Broncos are the league's worst team at stopping the run (162 ypg) and have allowed 227 points (rank 29th).
    While they can pass the ball (223 ypg, rank 12th), that doesn't seem to translate into points as they have only tallied 126 pts (rank 28th).
    Because of their defensive ineptitude against the run, teams must not attempt to pass too much against the Broncos.
    Denver only allows 195 ypg passing (rank 8th), yet they have only 13 sacks and 6 interceptions, and allow a 47% 3rd down conversion ratio.
    Given the likelihood of inclement weather in Denver in late December, this looks like a game where the Vikings should keep pounding the rock and pound the Broncos into submission.

Oh, I almost forgot...need to look at the Lions schedule here.
    Their final eight games are:

@ARZ
    NYG
    GB
    @MIN
    DAL
    @SD
    KC
    @GB

Road games against the Packers, Vikings and Chargers won't be easy, nor will home games against the Giants, Cowboys and Packers.
    Heck, even the Chiefs game may be tough.
    If we can assume the Vikings will beat the Lions, then we have to find perhaps three more losses for the Lions in the remaining schedule.
    I think it's very possible.

There's my analysis.
    With a win over the Packers Sunday (long shot, but that's what I thought about the first Bears game and the Chargers game as well), the Vikings could well utilize their strengths to go 7-1 in the second half of the season.
    I'm not saying it will be easy, but I can picture it as a possibility.
    It all starts this Sunday in Green Bay.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Is a Vikings playoff run so far fetched if they beat the Packers?

Very nice analysis my friend.

Simply put, did anyone (I picked them in the Football pool) think the Vikes were gonna beat SD?

Any given Sunday (Sometime Mon/Thur/Sat) my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

DeCoteau1 is offline Rookie

You know I was just telling myself the same thing we may be able to win out but the giants always seem to beat us the rest of the season will be intresting

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Let's just take one game at a time. We need to beat the Packers! We also need to play with some consistency on offense. I am not seeing that. Big reason is the multiple QBs we are playing with. I think we will learn a lot after this big road game vs a good football team. We need whoever is starting at QB to play well. I would like to see Bollinger start and play the whole game.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"DeCoteau1" wrote:
    You know I was just telling myself the same thing we may be able to win out but the giants always seem to beat us the rest of the season will be intresting

I believe if you look up our games we've played at the Meadowlands, during the regular season for the past 10 years, you might just be suprised how many of the games we won...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"marstc09" wrote:
    We need whoever is starting at QB to play well. I would like to see Bollinger start and play the whole game.
    I don't disagree with your first statement.
    However, I am thinking that I want to see TJack start and play for the simple reason that he is more mobile than Bollinger.
    Bollinger has been sacked 4 times in 28 pass attempts this season, Jackson only 5 times in 115 attempts.
    Kampman, KGB and Corey Williams have 20.5 sacks between them this season.
    To be sure, the Vikings will need to keep third down distances short, the line and backs will have to protect the QB at all costs, and the QB will have to avoid turning the ball over while making the plays that are there for the taking.
    Outside of the horrible game against the Lions, TJack has only turned the ball over once this season.
    The Packers D is very fast and very opportunistic.
    It will take a great game by the Vikings to win this one.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"purplepat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    We need whoever is starting at QB to play well. I would like to see Bollinger start and play the whole game.
    I don't disagree with your first statement.
    However, I am thinking that I want to see TJack start and play for the simple reason that he is more mobile than Bollinger.
    Bollinger has been sacked 4 times in 28 pass attempts this season, Jackson only 5 times in 115 attempts.
    Kampman, KGB and Corey Williams have 20.5 sacks between them this season.
    To be sure, the Vikings will need to keep third down distances short, the line and backs will have to protect the QB at all costs, and the QB will have to avoid turning the ball over while making the plays that are there for the taking.
    Outside of the horrible game against the Lions, TJack has only turned the ball over once this season.
    The Packers D is very fast and very opportunistic.
    It will take a great game by the Vikings to win this one.

nice post agree 100%

Thanks josdin00

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

It's too early to look at other teams' schedule. If we go 6-2, and 3-0 against our division, we'll get in.

Let's beat the pack and go from there. All division games from he on out are must-win.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ACMEAaron is offline Waterboy

So all it takes is a win over a very inconsistent Chargers team, and Viking fans are talking playoffs.

There are two reasons the Vikings won't make the playoffs. I'll list them here:

1. Brad Childress is the Head Coach

and

2. Brad Childress is the Head Coach

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/any-time-i-can-point-out/

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Good job Purplepat...

Nobody in the league can run against the Vikes, Larry Johnson couldn't and LT couldn't, thus any team relying on there running game is going to have to pass.
    Unfortunately, that has been the Vikes Achilles heal, except this last Sunday.

Was it the DB's saying "Damn!, Winfield is out we need to step up"?
    if so I hope it proved to the rest of them they can be better.
    If they play like they did against SD every game, then the playoffs are possible.
    OR
    Was it the blitzing putting pressure?

As you said, consistant respectable QB play is needed.
    They don't need to be anything but enough of a threat to keep 8 men out of the box and LB's to think about the TE running the flat.
    I watched the game again on Tivo and the LB's ignored Shiancoe (as did TJ) concentrating on the run.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast