Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' passing numbers keep dropping

[size=13pt]Minnesota Vikings' passing numbers keep dropping[/size]

Frerotte putting up fewer yards; receivers making fewer big plays

By Sean Jensen
    [email protected]

Updated: 11/25/2008 12:30:40 AM CST

The Vikings' passing offense has declined in each of the four games since Gus Frerotte passed for a season-high 298 yards against the Chicago Bears.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ragz is offline GM

Re: Vikings' passing numbers keep dropping

the link wouldnt open up for me.
    but i've seen the numbers.
    i'm sure its just another coincidence and has nothing to do with childress.
    i mean why would 30 some odd games of numbers such as these be reflective of his offense as compared to the handfull of decent games we've had with 5 different qbs?
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Can't get it to open either but I don't really need to........

As teams have watched tape they have figured out where ole Gussy boy is gonna be based on his mobility and they have just crashed to that spot.

Even though Gus still has the arm to go deep, we are almost back to the point we were with BJ.
    Teams just need to load it up, and come after him and play the short passes because they know were to get after him at.

(not sure if that makes sense after I typed it but don't know how to say it better).
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ragz is offline GM

"Marrdro" wrote:

As teams have watched tape they have figured out where ole Gussy boy is gonna be based on his mobility and they have just crashed to that spot.

Even though Gus still has the arm to go deep, we are almost back to the point we were with BJ.
    Teams just need to load it up, and come after him and play the short passes because they know were to get after him at.

(not sure if that makes sense after I typed it but don't know how to say it better).

yup yup, and its probably why a couple of his short passes ended up going for big gains earlier on cuz they were coming.
    but they were doing that from the beginning.
    only difference now is hes not getting the balls there, or not even throwing them and taking sacks.
    i dont think they had to watch a whole lot of film, plus i dont really feel like hes been under tremendous pressure.
    i think our line has done a good job of giving him time, he just has held the ball to long on alot of the shots hes taken.

i get the feeling that childress gave the old we are better off punting then turning the ball over speech, and now dumping 2 yard passes on 3rd and ten is our offensive game plan.
    doenst sound like a bad idea, but most teams need to score points offensively if they are gonna win so it will probably catch up to us much like it did at the end of last year, and beginning of this year.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    the link wouldnt open up for me.
    Try it again you two. They moved the article location so I corrected the link.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

yup yup, and its probably why a couple of his short passes ended up going for big gains earlier on cuz they were coming.
    only difference now is hes not getting the balls there, or not even throwing them and taking sacks.
    i dont think they had to watch a whole lot of film, plus i dont really feel like hes been under tremendous pressure.
    i think our line has done a good job of giving him time, he just has held the ball to long on alot of the shots hes taken.

i get the feeling that childress gave the old we are better off punting then turning the ball over speech, and now dumping 2 yard passes on 3rd and ten is our offensive game plan.
    doenst sound like a bad idea, but most teams need to score points offensively if they are gonna win so it will probably catch up to us much like it did at the end of last year, and beginning of this year.

Here's one of those topics that ragz and I agree on.

I think its a three headed monster.

1:
    Childress blows goats and his KAO is actually a SAO....this is nothing we didn't already know.

2:
    Gus has been less accurate each week, missing guys by a lOT.

3:
    The receivers aren't seperating.
    We've had this problem for years - ever since Moss was traded.
    Our receivers have a tough time seperating from the coverage.
    While other teams players can seem to find holes in the opposing zones, our guys can't.
    And while other teams receivers can run routes that break defenders off of coverage, ours never do.
    One of the sacks versus Jacksonville, the announcers called it a coverage sack (The picture never showed the receivers, just Gus going down)...but based on who was announcing, I'm taking his word for it.

And when is the last time anyone saw one of our receivers go in motion to avoid being bumped at the line?

Bottom line, our receivers don't get open.
    When they do, Gus can't hit them like he did earlier.
    And Childress is a flooptard.

That's three tough obstacles to overcome.

Caine

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Caine" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

1:
    Childress blows goats and his KAO is actually a SAO....this is nothing we didn't already know.

2:

3:
    While other teams players can seem to find holes in the opposing zones, our guys can't.
    And while other teams receivers can run routes that break defenders off of coverage, ours never do.
    One of the sacks versus Jacksonville, the announcers called it a coverage sack (The picture never showed the receivers, just Gus going down)...but based on who was announcing, I'm taking his word for it.

And when is the last time anyone saw one of our receivers go in motion to avoid being bumped at the line?

Caine
    The problem is and always has been the wrong personnel for his offense since he took over and that is still killing the team.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

What I find interesting is that our passing numbers are in no way correlated to our wins.
    It's basically a crapshoot whether Gus puts up 300 and 3 tds or if he throws for 150 and 2 ints.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

1:

2:

3:

Caine
    The problem is and always has been the wrong personnel for his offense since he took over and that is still killing the team.
    I can only agree with the QB portion of this.
    Everyone else at the skilled positions seem to work very well in the WCO.
    Hence they are getting YAC.
    I haven't seen one long TD to where it was a flat out bomb.
    Everyone of them were because of YAC.
    That is what the WCO is all about.

As far as blaming Childress and the rest of the FO, I will revert back to the QB sistuation.
    That and the fact that Caine is correct in we don't see allot of motion is part of the problem.
    You cannot blame the lack of offense for Chilly being a flooptard or anything else you want to call him.
    His offense was working very well for several weeks.
    Marrdro made a good point in that teams studied films to see Gus' stregnths and now they are taking that away.
    The fact that Gus started rolling out a little tells me they did try to adjust.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be one of Gus' strong points.

As many of you know I have been backing Childress up.
    Not because I like the guy or think he is a great HC but mainly because of the fact I do not know (nor does anyone on this site) allot of material behind the scenes.
    I will say this.
    The game against the Bears this week should give me a good indication in my feelings and thoughts towards Childress.
    I say that because it is the most important game since he has been here and I want to see how he and the team responds to the challenge.
    I may be singing a whole different tune next week but for now I stand with my thoughts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

All they have to do is send a delayed blitz up the middle and he is toast.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast