Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' pass defense hasn't been the same since Darren Sharper left

Vikings' pass defense hasn't been the same since Darren Sharper left

Big plays and turnovers from the position have been scarce in Minnesota since Darren Sharper recorded 18 interceptions for the Vikings from 2005-08.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_1895713...ce=most_viewed

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    And the WR position hasn't been the same since Moss left.

OTOH that TE position might be the best it has ever been and the RB position without a doubt is the best it has ever been.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I like how the author "Fox Sports" the dates. Anyone who knows anything knows that Sharp didn't really do anything once we went to a Cover 2 scheme. Truth is, he had 9 INT's the year before the scheme change, 9 total in the 3 years he played in the scheme and then a year with 9 when he wasn't in the scheme.

Silly sports hack. He should know that S's that play in our scheme aren't gonna get numbers that he speaks of.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I like how the author "Fox Sports" the dates. Anyone who knows anything knows that Sharp didn't really do anything once we went to a Cover 2 scheme. Truth is, he had 9 INT's the year before the scheme change, 9 total in the 3 years he played in the scheme and then a year with 9 when he wasn't in the scheme.

Silly sports hack. He should know that S's that play in our scheme aren't gonna get numbers that he speaks of.
    Silly Vikings. They should know the secret to getting more turnovers in the secondary is by getting rid of or changing the Cover 2 scheme

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Silly Vikings. They should know the secret to getting more turnovers in the secondary is by getting rid of or changing the Cover 2 scheme
    Not saying that I approve of the Tampa 2, but it's not going anywhere. Tony Dungy invented it, and Leslie Frazier is trying to be exactly like his mentor. We will run the Tampa 2 for as long as he's here.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Or, if they stay with the scheme, is to get pressure on the QB with just your front four.

Whinny's, Hussains INT's and the one dropped by Sanford, all came from the DL forcing the QB into a bad decision.

As I said the ohter day, what the lions DT this weekend and you will see what a cat like that can do to a QB and his decision making process.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Not saying that I approve of the Tampa 2, but it's not going anywhere. Tony Dungy invented it, and Leslie Frazier is trying to be exactly like his mentor. We will run the Tampa 2 for as long as he's here.
    Couldn't agree more.

My biggest letdown this year is that I believed we would see our CB's used in more of a Zone Press look and a different approach to our DL's ability to get pressure.

The Zone Press has been there when it comes to Griff and Cook, but we sure seem to be relying on LB and as we saw last week, S help to pressure the QB.

Some would say that both aspects are a deviation from the Cover 2, which I could go along with, however, it sure doens't seem to work late in the game when they quit doing it and just rush the front 4.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Couldn't agree more.

My biggest letdown this year is that I believed we would see our CB's used in more of a Zone Press look and a different approach to our DL's ability to get pressure.

The Zone Press has been there when it comes to Griff and Cook, but we sure seem to be relying on LB and as we saw last week, S help to pressure the QB.

Some would say that both aspects are a deviation from the Cover 2, which I could go along with, however, it sure doens't seem to work late in the game when they quit doing it and just rush the front 4.
    Part of that conservative philosophy especially with a lead late in the game. It's been in MN longer than I care to remember. Any QB in the league will look good against the Vikings late in a game while trailing. And it's not just a scheme related issue, it is a philosophy of the coaches. We constantly go away from what brought us success early in the game, to just try and hang on and not make mistakes. Which we obviously are not very good at, so why not keep the heat on.

I'm beginning to thing the best chance we have at winning a game is by starting out flat, lulling our opponents to sleep and then cranking it up in the second half. Pretty ridiculous, but don't know how else to account for the amount of energy this team starts with compared to how they look once they have a lead.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

As I said the ohter day, what the lions DT this weekend and you will see what a cat like that can do to a QB and his decision making process.
    I was thinking about Suh today on the way home from job #1.. I'd trade K. Will in his 2nd year for Suh in his 2nd year, 100% of the time.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Or, if they stay with the scheme, is to get pressure on the QB with just your front four.

Whinny's, Hussains INT's and the one dropped by Sanford, all came from the DL forcing the QB into a bad decision.

The Lions have 4 INTs and the Vikings have 3. Once again your logic is flawed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast