Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71
  1. #1
    Rochesterdave is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3

    Vikings Pass defense

    Please tell me if our pass defense is going to be any better than the past 10 years. Buy the looks of the first game against Seattle looks like the same old, same old. Any thoughts on how it will be this year ?

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    Welcome to the site my friend.

    Post well and post often.

    As to your question I guess it comes down to a difference of opinion on here based on your feelings about the Cover 2 Scheme.
    Some kindof feel like it is a glorified version of the prevent defense.
    And we all know that any self respecting football fan doesn't like the prevent at all.
    ;D

    Long story short, our biggest issue last year with respect to our pass defense was centered on the fact that we couldn't get any decent pressure on the QB without bringing a LB or two.
    That caused a hole in the short underneath routes allowing opposing QB's to pick us to pieces with short dinks/dunks.

    With the addition of JA and the movement of Ray to LDE it appears we will be able to improve our pass rush from the front 4 and bring a bit more pressure without using LB'rs which ultimately exposes our CB's.

    All pure speculation at this point as I don't think we saw anything out of our Defense in the Seachickens game to make a honest assesment because we all know the Chiller doens't show his hand in pre-season and we were missing a couple of key players (Phat Pat/M-will) for that game.

    IMHO our pass defense will be better this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    remember, its preaseason.
    I don't take much value in waht I see first preseason game.
    If the 3rd game comes and we still can't stop anyone, then I would start to be concerned, but I think we will do much better, as long as we stop with the injuries.
    Madieu Williams hurts us, and we can't afford to have Ray Edwards hurt at all.
    But all we can do really is wait and see, and speculate.

  4. #4
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    Pre-season just doesn't have the intensity of regular season and it makes it very hard to take the results seriously.

    I agree with Marr that our biggest issue in pass defense last year was with the push from our front 4.
    If they can maintain decent pressure, you should see a much improved pass defense.
    However, because of the strength of our run defense, look for the pass defense to still be the area most teams go after.
    I would still expect to see a fair amount of passing yards put up against us, but hopefully drives will stall faster and even fewer points will be scored on us.

    Madieu is a very important part of our defense as IBP points out.
    If the front 4 gets the pressure we are expecting, I think you will see a little more ball hawking in our secondary as well, which may not sit well with a lot of PP.O'ers.
    However, its Leslie Frazier's MO and falls in line with great range guys like Madieu and Tyrell.

  5. #5
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    Vikings' D was tied at 11th for the least # of pts given up per game.
    The whole pass coverage thing that everyone likes to whine about isn't nearly as much as a problem as people like to make it out to be.
    Room for improvement?
    Of course.
    The theoretically better pass rush should help.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    "Rochesterdave" wrote:
    Please tell me if our pass defense is going to be any better than the past 10 years. Buy the looks of the first game against Seattle looks like the same old, same old. Any thoughts on how it will be this year ?
    Well, mainly, Dave, I always try to remember that 3 quarters of that game were played by players who either are backups or who won't be on the roster this season.

    So, of course, the Seattle game was meaningless.

    Indianapolis is 2-14 in their last 16 pre-season games.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #7
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    I didn't even see the game, but:

    a. It is pre-season
    b. Seattle has one of the best passing attacks in the NFL

    Also, Brad basically admitted that he was playing "vanilla zone" to see weaknesses.

    i.e. no blitzes, etc.

    One thing I have noticed is that we don't jam enough on the LOS in the Cover 2. One reason we drafted bigger corners was to jam the receivers on the line. We need to get better at that.

    On the other hand, the positives:
    - Antwoine Winfield
    - Our tackling in general in the secondary
    - Sharper and his INTs

    I am confident about this aspect of our game, this year.

    The real weakness won't be in the seconary, it will be at linebacker.

  8. #8
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    I think it depends on how many injuries we have. Two years ago we lost some key guys and I think that hurt us. Last year we were healthier but still suffered. This year we added talent but lost a few guys alreeady and have a few more dinged up. If we can get the guys back who are dinged and don't lose anybody else we might be better. Lose a few more guys and we might be worse.

  9. #9
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,533

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I didn't even see the game, but:

    a. It is pre-season
    b. Seattle has one of the best passing attacks in the NFL

    Also, Brad basically admitted that he was playing "vanilla zone" to see weaknesses.

    i.e. no blitzes, etc.

    One thing I have noticed is that we don't jam enough on the LOS in the Cover 2. One reason we drafted bigger corners was to jam the receivers on the line. We need to get better at that.

    On the other hand, the positives:
    - Antwoine Winfield
    - Our tackling in general in the secondary
    - Sharper and his INTs

    I am confident about this aspect of our game, this year.

    The real weakness won't be in the seconary, it will be at linebacker.
    No way... our weakness is definitely at Corner. I watched McCauley, Griffen and Winfield get smoked enough last year to know better than to blame it on the LB corps... who did a pretty damn good job.

    Winfield is overrated.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  10. #10
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings Pass defense

    "C" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I didn't even see the game, but:

    a. It is pre-season
    b. Seattle has one of the best passing attacks in the NFL

    Also, Brad basically admitted that he was playing "vanilla zone" to see weaknesses.

    i.e. no blitzes, etc.

    One thing I have noticed is that we don't jam enough on the LOS in the Cover 2. One reason we drafted bigger corners was to jam the receivers on the line. We need to get better at that.

    On the other hand, the positives:
    - Antwoine Winfield
    - Our tackling in general in the secondary
    - Sharper and his INTs

    I am confident about this aspect of our game, this year.

    The real weakness won't be in the seconary, it will be at linebacker.
    No way... our weakness is definitely at Corner. I watched McCauley, Griffen and Winfield get smoked enough last year to know better than to blame it on the LB corps... who did a pretty damn good job.

    Winfield is overrated.
    Agreed.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. anyone worried about our pass defense?
    By hawaiianvike21 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
  2. Pass Defense
    By Schutz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
  3. Why does everyone rip our pass defense ?
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
  4. Vikings weigh pass defense alternatives
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 12:50 AM
  5. vikings #1 pass defense???
    By TheAnimal93 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •