Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings/Packers Playoff game...upon further review

I got that game on DVD. I'll cherish it for the rest of my life the same way those momos from greenbay cherish vince lombardi that died 300 years ago.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

ive been waiting for the tape for that game. i cant wait to watch it agian. ill have more input then.

GBMiah is offline Rookie

All of our DB's were out of place all year. Watching Packer games all year, I can safely say that Slowik's extremely complicated scheme had a significant amount to do with that. I wouldnt read to much in Randy's TD's, for one, it doesnt matter how good you are because its Randy freakin Moss. But alot of our "out of position" problems had alot to do with Slowik's scheme. Sharper played hurt alot this year, injuries that would normally be treated with a sitting, but he was asked to play atleast Part time in several games and still managed to record 4 int's and 3 Defensive TD's
    Inhale it. Savor it. Drink with your eyes and taste with every fiber of your flesh, revelations come through experience.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

One point I wanted to make was that some of the people who looked really good in that game won't be here. Moss, Claiborn, Russel, and now we have sharper, who didn't look good. I know we have made a lot of moves in the offseason, and i think we are a better team, but watching this game keeps me level-headed when I think about next year.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Hmm, dont look good for darren sharper now that you brought all of this up. I can almost guarantee that he will be injured again this year and have to play through injury.

But the main thing is how good will he now that he can be in position more with a better secondary to cover for him. Also wonder how he'll fit in cottrells schemes compared to green bay's.

Lots of questions and possibilities but i dont see sharper filling the expectations everyone has for him.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"briboy75" wrote:
    I watched the Vikings/Packers playoff game last night. I know its not new news, but I thought I'd post my comments here since there haven't been any signings and there is only so much draft talk worth reading.

I tried to focus on Darren Sharper, and the players that won't be starting for us next year.

I think this was the best game the Vikings played all year last year, and one of my favorite games to watch.

Favorite moment: When the announcers stated that green bay looked "shell shocked" when being down 17-0.

Darren Sharper: I know he had to cover for how bad the rest of GBs defense is..especially Carrol, but he flat-out sucked in this game. It was his missed tackle that allowed Moe to score on the opening drive. Also on both of Randys TD (especially the first one) he was either out of position, or the packers were not expecting the Vikings to pass to Randy. He had bad angles both times and may have been able to make a play if he was a little closer. I hope he plays better for us, then he did in that game in GB.

Randy Moss: The dude kicked a$$ in this game. harris is not a bad corner, but He made him look like Robert Tate...with a broken ankle... in a wheel chair...tied to a rock...on ice.

Claiborn: He played very well. He sacked Favre on GBs first drive causing them to go 3 and out. He seemed to be all over the field making plays.

Winfield: Excellent game, interception, couple broken passses, nice stops in the running game.

Russel: Also played well. Interception, nearly 2. A couple of nice hits.

The defense in general played well. Chavous was out. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

EJ: He was the only defensive player I think consistantly played poorly in this game. He gave up multipe big plays be being out of position.

Running backs: Bennett clearly looked much better than Smith in this game. Moe looked good, until he was injured. Moore fumbled on a punt return (at least we recovered it) I don't think any of them got as many yards on the ground as Daunte, who had an amazing game.

Offensive line: Pass protection was very good. Daunte had all day. Run support was not as good. Seemed like they were penalized too much.

Morton Anderson: Slipped on a field goal attempt. It was considered a block and recovery by GB. Also we punted in what would have been a field goal attempt for most kickers. I think it would have been from 46 yards. We need a new kicker!

Favre: One of the worst games I can remember him playing. I believe he threw 4 interceptions. He also threw an illegal forward underhand pass into the endzone.. he was way past the line of scrimage. It a viking caught it, it would have been an interception. The announces laughted it off.. only becuase it was favre. Also Joshtone made a late hit on Bubba Franks. There was some pushing after that. Farve was throwing punches as Offord. No penalties for that. There was for Johnstones late hit though.

Anyway. I enjoyed watching the game again. Anybody have any comments to add?
    What I heard from this is we made a mistake letting Randy go and Sharper was a bad pick up. Plus, we had a kicker that should have never been signed to the team last year.

Or

Some of the guys we had in our secondary weren't doing as bad as we made them out, cause they have been covering for EJ and others, like Sharper may have been doing on the Packers. And that most of our pickups this offseason were made to distract us from being upset about the dismissal of Moss. Plus, we had a kicker that should have never been signed to the team last year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL, Playin Ya'll

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

We were put in so many situations last year that we didn't have the players to help us out. We had to come up with a trick play to compensate for the lack of K, during a playoff game. K was a problem in both playoff games as well as the whole regular season.

If all we drafted next year would be nuggent, it would help us out for next season. All the rest of the draft picks are ones that will help us in the years after. If Tice didn't have to worry about the field position and trying to get the kicker an extra 10 yards, it would make his job decisions a lot easier.

We haven't addressed the K needs and I think we plan on Nuge in the 2nd. We must think we can get him.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

If Daunte had played the way Favre had played in that game the analysists would be be saying he still hasn't matured. If it were Harrington playing the way Favre played, they would be calling for his head.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Judging our players/team on the results of one game is a bit...premature. For us, that was a phenominal game. All the pieces fell into place. For Green Bay, all the pieces fell apart (And they're still looking for them).

Truth is, all season long our Offfense played well. We were able to generate points in most games (Not meaningless 4th quarter "we're down and it's out of reach so they're slacking" points...REAL points). We were able to drive the field.

Our Defense was HORRIBLE. There were bright spots - KWill, Winfield, Claiborne (when he wasn't hurt) - but as a unit, they were crap.

This off season we have done more to rectify our ills than I can remember us EVER doing in any single year. We didn't just bring in FA's...we brought in GOOD FA's. While I'm still not tickled with the Moss trade, I'll wait until after the draft to decide if it was indeed good or bad.

But, back to our Defense. Sharper has been hurt a lot because he's been the ENTIRE secondary. he wasn't able to sit and heal because without him, Green Bay had NO pass defense. Even when they had Makenzie, his last season wasn't that hot (he got beat a LOT that year). I think that Sharper has just gotten the break of his career comming here. He can now play FS...not FS, SS, CBx2, LB, DE.

As for the rest, we'll see. Sitting EJ is a good move IMO. He doesn't seem to "get it". he has all the tools, he just isn't using them. He's no Urlacher, but he could be a Zack Thomas.

All in all, I'm psyched about our team this season. We're fleshing out nicely. A good draft and a little luck in the injury department (as in no more season enders in week 1&2 to critical guys), and we are primed to ROLL.

Caine

MadtownMac is offline Rookie

Someone in the national media actually took time away from Viking-hating for a moment to actually praise what we have done. CNNSI's Peter King wrote this yesterday:
    "I think it's been a long time since anyone has said this -- 30Â years -- maybe longer -- but the Minnesota Vikings have one of the five best cornerback combos (Antoine Winfield-Fred Smoot) in the NFL. And one other thing: If I were them, I'd save the money on Brian Russell and let the Browns have him."
    Amen.
    Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast