singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings & Packers fan loyalty ranked

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Interesting.

The Packers and Vikings both ranked in the middle of the field. Green Bay was No. 14, while Minnesota was No. 18.

Their other NFC North division foes, the Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions, finished No. 7 and No. 28, respectively.
    If you listen to a Packer fan tell it, they are the most loyal fans in the NFL, while the Vikings fans sway in the wind like willows...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I've seen 4 or 5 other such articles. All seem to have us at the bottom or near the bottom of their lists.

Not surprising though. I've always contended that our fan base isn't as strong as some think.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

drakkar is offline Rookie
    You mean all those Packer fans that became Jets fans then Vikings fans and now are back to being Packer "fans".

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Having lived in Wisconsin for about 3 decades, I can HONESTLY say that the Packer fan base was almost non-existent in the 70's and 80's. It grew when Majkowski was there, then took off when Favre started winning games.

While the season tickets may have remained sold-out in Green Bay, the truth is that the southwest and south central parts of the state wound up being heavily Viking and Bear influenced. Packtards often point to their decades long season ticket waits as a barometer of their fan base loyalty. I find that to be only a small indicator.

Truth is, if you look at the survey results, the successful teams were at the top, and the unsuccessful ones were at the bottom. It's a simple fact that fans don't follow losers, and come flooding back when they win again. While the survey tried to account for more than winning and losing, the fat remains that those two play a HUGE role.

The odd effect, however, is how some perennial losing teams wind up with a substantial fan base, almost in spite of their lack of success. The Cleveland Browns are one example. in Baseball, the Chicago Cubs are another.

But interesting nonetheless.

Caine

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    One thing this does not consider is that Packer fans generally have to take a road trip to their stadium. No other team has its stadium so far away from its metro population and wealthy suburban areas. Packer fans have a lot going for them on the idiot scale, but they do win points for that.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Having lived in Wisconsin for about 3 decades, I can HONESTLY say that the Packer fan base was almost non-existent in the 70's and 80's. It grew when Majkowski was there, then took off when Favre started winning games.
    Yeah I was going to say, it's easy to be loyal when you go from 1 HoF QB to another. Lets do this study when the Packers go from a TJack type QB to a Ponder type QB. And on the other hand the Vikings have done nothing but frustrate their fan base for the past 35 years, if not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkar View Post
    You mean all those Packer fans that became Jets fans then Vikings fans and now are back to being Packer "fans".
    Ha, you must know my brother. He did exactly that. Bought a Jets hat and jersey when Favre went there and then a Vikings jersey when he came here. Now he's once again a Packer fan.