Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings - Overachievers

[size=13pt]Overachievers[/size]

3/24/2008 11:15:00 AM

By Mike Wobschall
    vikings.com

Certainly the Vikings will be adding (and subtracting) more players between now and the season-opener, but here are four players who, if they overachieve in 2008, can help the Vikings advance to the NFL postseason tournament....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings - Overachievers

I still say Mitchell could turn out the house this year.
    I would be happy with five sacks or so out of any one of our LDE's that are in the rotation this year.

The Vikings would love to see Mitchell appear in all 16 games and notch around five or six sacks.
    I would have thrown Ryan Cook in there as well.
    Big boy has got to get it done with the consistency he showed towards the end of the year last year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

The title of the article/blog is a little misleading.
    It is not about current "overachievers," rather, the content is about a correct premise that in order for teams to over-achieve, they need "overachievers."
    Hence, it should be titled, "Overachievers Needed."
    The four players mentioned have not overachieved yet, however, if they do, the Vikes could go somewhere.
    I wonder how much research the author did into overachievement.
    I just did a quick google and found 30 interesting articles which, if read, could have served him quite well...here's one http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20041210-000001.html

So, to the four...they are not overachievers now, by any stretch.
    If Mitchell was an overachiever, we would not need a LDE, since he has perfect size...as we've discussed ad nauseam.
    Can Williams overachieve, absolutely, he has a chance of a career right in front of him; step up young man.
    If Wade was, he'd have much better numbers.
    I'm not convinced he can come up with the kind of production referenced if Shiancoe and Allison overachieve (as highlighted)...especially with the addition of Berrian.
    The #1 needed overachiever is much more obvious than those 4.....it is Tarvaris Jackson.
    If he overachieves, we have a shot at the Super Bowl.

The premise of the article/blog is fine, except that the author got the names and the title wrong.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MaxVike" wrote:
    It is not about current "overachievers," rather, the content is about a correct premise that in order for teams to over-achieve, they need "overachievers."
    The four players mentioned have not overachieved yet, however, if they do, the Vikes could go somewhere.
    I just did a quick google and found 30 interesting articles which, if read, could have served him quite well...here's one http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20041210-000001.html

If Williams was an overachiever, we would not need a LDE, since he has perfect size...as we've discussed ad nauseam.
    Can Williams overachieve, absolutely, he has a chance of a career right in front of him; step up young man.
    I'm not convinced he can come up with the kind of production referenced if Shiancoe and Allison overachieve (as highlighted)...especially with the addition of Berrian.
    The #1 needed overachiever is much more obvious than those 4.....it is Tarvaris Jackson.

The premise of the article/blog is fine, except that the author got the names and the title wrong.
    Hey, I take Umbrage with that remark!!!!!!!!
    (JK
    ;D)

Very nice post.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

If Williams was an overachiever, we would not need a LDE, since he has perfect size...as we've discussed ad nauseam.

Hey, I take Umbrage with that remark!!!!!!!!
    (JK
    ;D)

Very nice post.
    Thanks Marr.
    I thought it was good discussion...healthy debate.
    And, actually, I think the kid has more in him than he's shown.
    Let's hope he seizes the opportunity.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

???
    Are you talking about Madieu Williams?
    Or, Jayme Mitchell at LDE?
    I'm assuming Mitchell.
    Its a pretty big IF, but IF Mitchell overachieves replacing Udeze, that's the missing cog we've all been worried about, and could go a long way toward this team's overall success.
    The author nailed that one.
    Sounds like we'll be mixing Robison in there too, which might actually end up being a pretty nice rotation.
    That leaves us James and Grigsby backing up Edwards on the Right...which is kind of scary given James' injuries and Otis' lack of experience.
    I'm hoping Edwards learned his lesson, and is now using natural methods to improve his rush...sounds like it with the boxing/training.
    I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, and am looking forward to a good, full third season from him.

Hmm, third?
    That sounds familiar.
    Look at how many young, up and coming players we have right now.
    These guys are going into year three:
    Greenway, Griffin, Cook, TJack, Ray, Gordon, Evans, Mitchell, Tahi, Whitaker, and Mills

Three's a charm at many positions, and we get to keep one of our best DCoordinators in recent history for a second year.
    I like how that side of the ball is stacking up!

And, on the other hand, yeah, I think a much better point would have been TJack's achievments...rather than spreading that duty out over three guys that will need to all catch a moderate amount of balls from TJack in order for our team to be "successful," and a playoff contender.
    Furthermore, although he mentions Berrian several times, he doesn't list the likely no.1 opion at WR, but more depth guys, and BB's over achieving would help improve last year's numbers greatly, since we've already got higher expectations from him...I'd be happy with about what he had last year in the windy city, around 70 receptions, close to 1000 yards and 10 TDs, so OverAchiement to me would be a probowl year with around 100 recpts, 1300+ yds, and TDs in the teens
    ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

You know, all this morning's possitive comments from the players, combined with all the FA additions that have signed here, and what they've had to say so far too has got me thinking...I bet our boys are pretty freaking excited.
    Afterall, they went into Giants Stadium and blew up the home team when nobody picked us to win, and then the Giants won the superbowl.
    You know they're thinking they can do it too, the possibility just got a little closer to home.
    And, believing is a big step on the way to reality
    ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Jayme Mitchell – The 6-6, 285-pound defensive end has good athleticism for his size and has a massage wingspan. Last season he tallied one sack in ten games and in 2006 he played in 13 games while sacking the quarterback three times. Mitchell has the opportunity to continue improving during the offseason in order to step into a more prominent role during the regular season in 2008. Depth is important along the defensive line and Mitchell can help the Vikings in that area. The Vikings would love to see Mitchell appear in all 16 games and notch around five or six sacks.
    I'm glad they added him to their list, i'm a fan of Mitchell's and hope he gets more playing time this coming year.
    I've been saying for a while now that he has the potential to contribute in a significant way on this team, now he better not make me a liar!!!

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    Jayme Mitchell – The 6-6, 285-pound defensive end has good athleticism for his size and has a massage wingspan. Last season he tallied one sack in ten games and in 2006 he played in 13 games while sacking the quarterback three times. Mitchell has the opportunity to continue improving during the offseason in order to step into a more prominent role during the regular season in 2008. Depth is important along the defensive line and Mitchell can help the Vikings in that area. The Vikings would love to see Mitchell appear in all 16 games and notch around five or six sacks.
    I'm glad they added him to their list, i'm a fan of Mitchell's and hope he gets more playing time this coming year.
    I've been saying for a while now that he has the potential to contribute in a significant way on this team, now he better not make me a liar!!!
    Exactly.
    That is why I think we can fill another need with our first pick and pick up a LDE later in the draft.
    Those of you that pay attention to my post know I'm a big proponent of drafting Brian Johnston in the fourth or fifth round.
    He is manimal that will blow up plays in the backfield.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"MaxVike" wrote:

Does this make it more acceptable?

[size=13pt]The Morality of Overachievers[/size]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast