Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings - Opening the mailbag - July 2, 2007

This is pretty much a response to a little bit of everything everbody said.

I would not consider Childress a QB guru and have never heard anybody really imply that, even by press (extensive track record, yes).
    McNabb is endowed with great physical skills, and in the very least Chili didn't mess him up.
    TJack has a similar skill set and he should (hopefully) develop as well.

We can't assume that Chili is completely responsible for the success of McNabb, but like I said the most important detail is, that the knowledge and experience is there.

Reid is a pretty authoritarian HC, I would not say it was Childress inability to playcall but instead Reid's unwillingness.
    Does anybody know if Reid's OC before Childress had play calling abilities? I doubt it.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

It seemed like the Eagle's season was over until Reid handed the play calling duties over to Marty Mornhinweg last season.
    The same Marty that once coached the Lions.
    After that they ran off 5 consecutive wins and won their wild card game.
    They then lost by 3 to the saints.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Billy" wrote:

I would not consider Childress a QB guru and have never heard anybody really imply that, even by press (extensive track record, yes).
    McNabb is endowed with great physical skills, and in the very least Chili didn't mess him up.

We can't assume that Chili is completely responsible for the success of McNabb, but like I said the most important detail is, that the knowledge and experience is there.

Reid is a pretty authoritarian HC, I would not say it was Childress inability to playcall but instead Reid's unwillingness.
    Does anybody know if Reid's OC before Childress had play calling abilities? I doubt it.
    We would be fools to think that way...

Reid helped groom some guy named Favre, a bum named Hasselback, and some injury prone nobody they call McNabb.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Billy" wrote:

The answer is NO...NONE of Reid's OCs had play-calling authority.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

We would be fools to think that way...

Reid helped groom some guy named Favre, a bum named Hasselback, and some injury prone nobody they call McNabb.
    LOL, yeah of course Chili wasn't the only influence.
    I should have said "largely responsible".

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Where are our young quarterbacks going to get their mentoring? We have no veteran quarterback to help them.
    --KLA, Las Cruces

Wobschall: Quarterbacks, especially young ones, receive their mentoring from the quarterbacks coach and, in the Vikings case, the head coach. Both Head Coach Brad Childress and quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers have extensive experience and impressive track records in working with young quarterbacks. Childress worked closely with Donovan McNabb as he blossomed into an NFL star with the Eagles and Rogers worked with McNabb when he was at Syracuse.
    I also am of the ilk that believe coaches coach and players play after being coached by the coaches, not after being coached by the aging veteran player.

Additionally, I could be labeled as a homer for this however, Rodgers is awesome

;D
    Big loss to the Hokey Nation when he left.
    Great find/pickup for the Vikes and our young QB's.

I also sometimes wonder if he and not B-chill had the greatest impact on McNabbs development.
    :

http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/rogers.html

Rogers is no stranger to the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Brooklyn, N.Y., native is a 1974 graduate of the College of William & Mary and began his coaching career as an assistant coach at Bayside High School in Virginia Beach from 1974-76. At William & Mary, he was a three-year letterman as a linebacker and earned a degree in physical education. He earned a master's in physical education from Ohio State in 1978.
    http://www.realfootball365.com/colle...ies120106.html

So why haven't any of the other QB's Childress mentored done anything? I.E. Mike McMahon.

The only one ever mentioned is McNabb. That's just one QB. Could the same thing be said about Peyton Mannings coach?

What other successful QB has Rodgers coached? I'm not into college football that much.

Personally I think their success with McNabb had a lot to do with him being a gifted athelete & they just tweaked & refined him.

When you start with a piece of pooh, no matter how you mold it, it's still a piece of pooh.
    So what are you trying to say?
    That the QB coach has nothing to do with the development of the QB?

:
    There are alot of QB coaches out there in the NFL today that can't use a name like McNabb on thier resume and they are still coaching.

Focus back onto Rodgers.......

27 years of coaching.
    Granted it was at the college level but still pretty impressive stuff in the 2 articles I gave.

My assesment from watching the Hokies is that he appears he gets the most he can out of the talent he is given.
    Hopefully, as one of the articles mentions, he will suceed at the next level

Kindof along the lines of ......
    If given better poo to work with he will hopefully turn them into better turds under his guidance at the next level.
    ;D

Under Rogers' watchful eye, Tech quarterback Bryan Randall became the Hokies' all-time leader in passing yards, touchdown passes and total offense. In 2004, Randall was named the Player of the Year in the Atlantic Coast Conference, as well as the league's top offensive player.
    In 1999, Rogers coached a Notre Dame offense that broke the school single-season record for total passing yards, completions and attempts.
    What I'm saying basically is I'm not ready to call Childress a QB guru until he has success with one or two more QB's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12