Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

There are different ways you can run the 2 TE sets also and having that formation doesn't necessarily indicate the the offense is WCO.

For instance, they use it to a degree in Pittsburgh and when Denny Green got here we also ran it in a hybrid version that actually tried to combine the Walsh and the Gibbs syatems. ( The Gibbs model is the one nearest and dearest to my heart with AP running behind the counter like Riggins did.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091507
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091504
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091499
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091498
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091494
    I'd rather it look alot like the game right after Zygi sent the Chiller packing
    Wish I still had my game notes........Trust me, we ran alot of 22 sets.
    not saying we didn't.

However, you can call two very different games using only a handfull of formations.

IMO, that game was our best offensive game as far as playcalling goes.
    Are you talking about the game after we sent PatsRandy packing and the Noodle set a personal best in passing?

That was a hell of a game, with alot of 22 sets and all the nobodies at WR chipping in huge yards to include BB and Cam. AD even had a monster day banging it inside as well as in the passing game.

NFL Game Center

Like it or not, thats the KAO. Same thing we see out of the Pats now, by the by.
    No, the one after Chilly got canned and Bevell was 100% in charge of the offense. I don't recall who that was against, Redskins maybe?

We did this weird thing where we played to our strengths, doing play action, rollouts, etc. Ways to get Favre time to get the ball to an open receiver. It wasn't a huge offensive production, but the playcalling was pretty good that game, and it was more of what we needed to be doing.
    Same thing happened in that game, same sets, same plays etc. just a bit more running with Gerhart handling the load.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091512
    not saying we didn't.

However, you can call two very different games using only a handfull of formations.

Are you talking about the game after we sent PatsRandy packing and the Noodle set a personal best in passing?

That was a hell of a game, with alot of 22 sets and all the nobodies at WR chipping in huge yards to include BB and Cam. AD even had a monster day banging it inside as well as in the passing game.

NFL Game Center

Like it or not, thats the KAO. Same thing we see out of the Pats now, by the by.
    No, the one after Chilly got canned and Bevell was 100% in charge of the offense. I don't recall who that was against, Redskins maybe?

We did this weird thing where we played to our strengths, doing play action, rollouts, etc. Ways to get Favre time to get the ball to an open receiver. It wasn't a huge offensive production, but the playcalling was pretty good that game, and it was more of what we needed to be doing.
    Same thing happened in that game, same sets, same plays etc. just a bit more running with Gerhart handling the load.
    I'm not saying it didn't. It is possible we can agree on the occasional thing

I just liked the playcalling that game. We played to our strengths, and did what we had to do to win.

You have to admit, that Favre scramble to seal the win was awesome. One of my favorite games of last year.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Our team as a whole may not be that old, but our core guys are getting up there. Rebuilding might be too strong of a word. How about "re tooling"

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1091514
    Our team as a whole may not be that old, but our core guys are getting up there. Rebuilding might be too strong of a word. How about "re tooling"
    How ya been my friend. Long time, very little chat......

To your point, what core guys are we loosing?

Pat? He doesnt' really give us anything great anymore. Leber? Definately can be upgraded. Tahi? We don't even use a FB really. Hussain? Definately a loss IMHO. Finally coming into his own (Prime example of how long it takes some players to get it) and needs to be resigned.

Williams, Pat DT 15 - Younger replacement
    Longwell, Ryan K 15 - Younger replacement
    Sheppard, Lito DB 10 - Replacement already on roster
    Leber, Ben LB 10 - Replacement already on roster + Rook
    Ramsey, Patrick QB 9 - Younger replacement
    Walker, Frank DB 9 - Replacement already on roster
    Lewis, Greg WR 9 - Replacement already on roster
    Cook, Ryan T 6 - Younger replacement
    Jackson, Tarvaris QB 6 - ?? Younger Player
    Tahi, Naufahu RB 6 - Replacment already on roster
    Baskett, Hank WR 6 - ?? Replacement already on roster
    Evans, Fred NT 6 - ?? Could be a vet
    Frampton, Eric DB 5 - Younger replacement
    Abdullah, Husain DB 4 - Needs to be resigned
    Henderson, Erin LB 4 - Could be Lebers replacement/resign
    Johnson, Tyrell DB 4 - Younger replacement
    Young, Albert RB 3 - Replacement already on roster
    = 127 years divided by 17 = 7.47 years average
    (bold = starter that needs to be replace)
    With 52 players already signed, 4 or 5 that need to be resigned, I don't think we are really "Rebuilding" nor are we that old.
    Now if I were to plug in the guys that got tagged......Well, a hole nuther discussion comes into the mix, but for right now, we aren't loosing anyone that can't be replaced.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091513
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091512
    not saying we didn't.

NFL Game Center

I'm not saying it didn't. It is possible we can agree on the occasional thing

I just liked the playcalling that game. We played to our strengths, and did what we had to do to win.

You have to admit, that Favre scramble to seal the win was awesome. One of my favorite games of last year.
    How boring is it to say "I agree". Of course I agree, but the follow-on discussion has to be had my friend. It just has to.......:P

As exciting as you found that game, it was still, at its heart, the same scheme we have always run, with a few exceptions were we were slinging it all over the place.

Besides, you know that my biggest beef against the Noodle this year was his ankle and how it limited him when it came to rollouts/bootlegs. In 2009 he was moving all over the place. Heck he even threw a few blocks (illegal ones).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12