Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    OK, I haven't checked this in a couple of years, but here goes. Kindof an eye opener.....

    (Caveat - I usually don't do math in public. Forgive me if I goof this as I didn't do it by age, I went by years in the league which differs from this article)

    How to Measure Team Age in the N.F.L. and What It Means for 2010


    Current players under contract. Assumption is that a few of these old dudes won't be with the team next year and a couple of younger ones will.
    Winfield, Antoine DB 13
    Kleinsasser, Jimmy TE 13
    Hutchinson, Steve G 11
    McKinnie, Bryant T 10
    Shiancoe, Visanthe TE 9
    Henderson, E.J. LB 9
    Williams, Kevin DT 9
    Kennedy, Jimmy DT 9
    Allen, Jared DE 8
    Berrian, Bernard WR 8
    Dugan, Jeff TE 8
    Herrera, Anthony G 8
    Williams, Madieu DB 8
    Loeffler, Cullen C 8
    Farwell, Heath LB 7
    Kluwe, Chris P 7
    Camarillo, Greg WR 6
    Edwards, Ray DE 6
    Greenway, Chad LB 6
    Griffin, Cedric DB 6
    Peterson, Adrian RB 5
    Rice, Sidney WR 5
    Robison, Brian DE 5
    Guion, Letroy DT 4
    Sullivan, John C 4
    Allen, Asher DB 3
    Awasom, Adrian DE 3
    Onatolu, Kenny LB 3
    Booker, Lorenzo RB 3
    Brinkley, Jasper LB 3
    Cooper, Jon C 3
    Sanford, Jamarca DB 3
    Harvin, Percy WR 3
    Johnson, Jaymar WR 3
    Loadholt, Phil OT 3
    Olsen, Seth OG 2
    Brown, Patrick T 2
    Castille, Simeon DB 2
    Cook, Chris DB 2
    DeGeare, Chris OG 2
    Webb, Joe QB 2
    Gerhart, Toby RB 2
    Griffen, Everson DE 2
    Iglesias, Juaquin WR 2
    Parks, Cord DB 1
    Bomar, Rhett QB 1
    Brown, Freddie WR 1
    D'Imperio, Ryan LB 1
    Welch, Thomas OT 1
    Sherels, Marcus DB 1
    Johnson, Tremaine DT 1
    Arceneaux, Emmanuel WR 0
    = 247 years divided by 52 players = 4.75 years avg.

    Old dudes that don't need to come back, with a couple of exceptions:

    Williams, Pat DT 15 - Younger replacement
    Longwell, Ryan K 15 - Younger replacement
    Sheppard, Lito DB 10 - Replacement already on roster
    Leber, Ben LB 10 - Replacement already on roster + Rook
    Ramsey, Patrick QB 9 - Younger replacement
    Walker, Frank DB 9 - Replacement already on roster
    Lewis, Greg WR 9 - Replacement already on roster
    Cook, Ryan T 6 - Younger replacement
    Jackson, Tarvaris QB 6 - ?? Younger Player
    Tahi, Naufahu RB 6 - Replacment already on roster
    Baskett, Hank WR 6 - ?? Replacement already on roster
    Evans, Fred NT 6 - ?? Could be a vet
    Frampton, Eric DB 5 - Younger replacement
    Abdullah, Husain DB 4 - Needs to be resigned
    Henderson, Erin LB 4 - Could be Lebers replacement/resign
    Johnson, Tyrell DB 4 - Younger replacement
    Young, Albert RB 3 - Replacement already on roster
    = 127 years divided by 17 = 7.47 years average
    (bold = starter that needs to be replace)
    With 52 players already signed, 4 or 5 that need to be resigned, I don't think we are really "Rebuilding" nor are we that old.

    Thoughts? :dry:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #2
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,782
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    Now I saw something on NFL Total Access this week, either Thursday or Fridays programme which something about the Vikes D or D line being about the 5th oldest in the league - can't remember which though think it may have been the DL.
    As regards rebuilding, I think there is going to be an element of that, especially offensively, where we are going to be playing something different to the 'offense that shall not be named'. To me that means that some players are going as they were supposedly the right fit for that scheme. Now that we're using round holes these square pegs won't fit in :P
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1091489
    Now I saw something on NFL Total Access this week, either Thursday or Fridays programme which something about the Vikes D or D line being about the 5th oldest in the league - can't remember which though think it may have been the DL.
    As regards rebuilding, I think there is going to be an element of that, especially offensively, where we are going to be playing something different to the 'offense that shall not be named'. To me that means that some players are going as they were supposedly the right fit for that scheme. Now that we're using round holes these square pegs won't fit in :P
    Two things, ......

    I, for one, don't think the offense is going to change at all. If it does, it is really only going to change back to the original offense the staff ran "Pre-Noodle".

    What does that mean.....

    a. Alot of 2-2 Sets (2 RB's/2 TE's)
    b. Alot of running (1rst down AD - A gap, left Center - 2nd down AD A gap, right Center, 3rd down AD B gap, right LG).
    c. High percentage passes when the defense allows it.
    d. Recievers catch the ball in stride, in traffic.
    e. YAC if there, get down if it isn't.
    f. 2 or 3 deep shots a game.

    Should look alot like the game right after the Chiller sent Moss packing.

    Second.....Some yutz has been harping that the staff should address the DT position for a couple of years. Instead we keep getting CB's that wield guns instead of a 0 technique pocket collapser that eats up two blockers every down.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    I'd rather it look alot like the game right after Zygi sent the Chiller packing

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091494
    I'd rather it look alot like the game right after Zygi sent the Chiller packing
    Wish I still had my game notes........Trust me, we ran alot of 22 sets.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091498
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091494
    I'd rather it look alot like the game right after Zygi sent the Chiller packing
    Wish I still had my game notes........Trust me, we ran alot of 22 sets.
    not saying we didn't.


    However, you can call two very different games using only a handfull of formations.

    IMO, that game was our best offensive game as far as playcalling goes.

  7. #7
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    The truth of the situation is we have no idea and the staff has no idea what the offense is going to look like because we don't know who our QB or our top WR's are going to be and to make that decision before the roster is complete would be the sort of lunacy we would only expect from the past coach.

    Spielman has been quoted as saying the team is going to get younger and that is a good thing because our roster is one of the older ones in the league.There are some really good opportunities for younger players to get on this roster and make a name for themselves.

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091499
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091498
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091494
    I'd rather it look alot like the game right after Zygi sent the Chiller packing
    Wish I still had my game notes........Trust me, we ran alot of 22 sets.
    not saying we didn't.


    However, you can call two very different games using only a handfull of formations.

    IMO, that game was our best offensive game as far as playcalling goes.
    Are you talking about the game after we sent PatsRandy packing and the Noodle set a personal best in passing?

    That was a hell of a game, with alot of 22 sets and all the nobodies at WR chipping in huge yards to include BB and Cam. AD even had a monster day banging it inside as well as in the passing game.

    NFL Game Center

    Like it or not, thats the KAO. Same thing we see out of the Pats now, by the by.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091500
    The truth of the situation is we have no idea and the staff has no idea what the offense is going to look like because we don't know who our QB or our top WR's are going to be and to make that decision before the roster is complete would be the sort of lunacy we would only expect from the past coach.

    Spielman has been quoted as saying the team is going to get younger and that is a good thing because our roster is one of the older ones in the league.There are some really good opportunities for younger players to get on this roster and make a name for themselves.
    I hear ya on the offense, but I think we can make on heck of a good guess.

    Regardless of the QB, we will see alot of short to intermediate throws cause thats what you see, not only in a WCO (thats what we are going to run) but with a team that has a new QB.

    We are going to see alot of 22 sets, which means alot of running. Again, thats what you see with a team that has a young (and new) QB.

    Will it evolve over the season to see a few more shots deep? Probably, if things start to work.

    But....and this is a big but...If they don't completely overhaul the OL and if they don't move from all the TE's/H-backs we have on the roster to more WR's, we are still going to see the dink dunk offense.

    Just gonna happen.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are the Vikings an Old Team?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091504
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091499
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091498
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091494
    I'd rather it look alot like the game right after Zygi sent the Chiller packing
    Wish I still had my game notes........Trust me, we ran alot of 22 sets.
    not saying we didn't.


    However, you can call two very different games using only a handfull of formations.

    IMO, that game was our best offensive game as far as playcalling goes.
    Are you talking about the game after we sent PatsRandy packing and the Noodle set a personal best in passing?

    That was a hell of a game, with alot of 22 sets and all the nobodies at WR chipping in huge yards to include BB and Cam. AD even had a monster day banging it inside as well as in the passing game.

    NFL Game Center

    Like it or not, thats the KAO. Same thing we see out of the Pats now, by the by.
    No, the one after Chilly got canned and Bevell was 100% in charge of the offense. I don't recall who that was against, Redskins maybe?

    We did this weird thing where we played to our strengths, doing play action, rollouts, etc. Ways to get Favre time to get the ball to an open receiver. It wasn't a huge offensive production, but the playcalling was pretty good that game, and it was more of what we needed to be doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Vikings Team Ever: 1969
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
  2. Vikings Team Report 08/04/08
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 07:28 AM
  3. Vikings Team Report 04/21/08
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
  4. 98 Vikings - Third Best Team ever?
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 05:50 PM
  5. Vikings Most Improved Team in the NFL?
    By beyondmike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 05:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •