singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings OL looking for cohesiveness

It's a critical time for Vikings offensive line, which is looking for cohesiveness in the middle

Left guard Steve Hutchinson is a seven-time Pro Bowler because of his imposing force.

These days inside the Vikings locker room, however, he must lend a soft hand of guidance.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re:Vikings OL looking for cohesiveness

It's been in a state of flux & they have been looking for coehesiveness since 2006 when Childress took over.

In 5 years, Chilly has managed to take them from lousy to average at best, primarily in the passing game, which with a 41 yr. old QB at the helm, needs a lot of improvement.

Slow, mammoth tackles, who cannot contain speed rushers, are a detriment, not an assest.

Childress hasn't figured that out yet.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Think the OL is a concern we all share here.

Sullivan is a big miss, he is undersized at center but towards the back end of the season i thought he played some of his best football in a Vikings jersey.

Losing Hicks is massive as we pretty much have zero depth, DeGeare is just a rookie and doesnt look ready yet from the pre season action I have seen.

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing from the OL is Loadholt's development, i thought he did 'ok' last year as a rookie but with a year under his belt I'm expecting a good year from him.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

singersp wrote:
    It's been in a state of flux & they have been looking for coehesiveness since 2006 when Childress took over.

In 5 years, Chilly has managed to take them from lousy to average at best, primarily in the passing game, which with a 41 yr. old QB at the helm, needs a lot of improvement.

Slow, mammoth tackles, who cannot contain speed rushers, are a detriment, not an assest.

Childress hasn't figured that out yet.
    Childress has a way of imposing schemes that fail to match the talents of his players at times.

Although Marrdro posted a long explanation as to why our jumbos are quick enough to effectively zone block, I don't see it on the field.

Childress and gang are very good at recognizing talent.
    I sometimes question if they are equally as good at utilizing that talent.

Hard to argue with getting within one play of the big dance.
    But there will always be questions until the Vikings win the big one.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Johnson14 wrote:
    Think the OL is a concern we all share here.

Sullivan is a big miss, he is undersized at center but towards the back end of the season i thought he played some of his best football in a Vikings jersey.

Losing Hicks is massive as we pretty much have zero depth, DeGeare is just a rookie and doesnt look ready yet from the pre season action I have seen.

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing from the OL is Loadholt's development, i thought he did 'ok' last year as a rookie but with a year under his belt I'm expecting a good year from him.

We don't even know if/when Sullivan will be back at 100%. I'd like to trade for Hartwig to help stabilize the OL.

Steelers allow veteran center Hartwig to explore trade options
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...