singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings officially out of the picture

Posted on Fri, Dec. 22, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings officially out of the picture[/size]

By Jim Souhan

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Lots of Minnesota Vikings fans are blaming Brad Childress for ruining their team.

Think of how the NFL feels. The Vikings' rookie coach might have ruined their entire network.

The NFL Network held broadcast rights to the Vikings-Packers game Thursday night. Next time, they might opt for NFL Films Vol. 126: Lombardi invents chalk.

With a 9-7 loss in which they managed zero offensive points and three first downs, the Vikings eliminated themselves from playoff contention. CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN, TNT and The Food Channel rejoiced.

Rather than getting a chance to be the worst playoff team in NFL history, the Vikings will settle for finishing fathoms below expectations.

Thursday night, the Vikings offered Tarvaris Jackson as hope personified, and he got spit back in their faces in much the way Fred Smoot got spit out of the Lambeau Stadium stands after his post-touchdown leap.

It's not Jackson's fault. The problem runs much deeper than that.

Those wishing to excuse Childress his first-year coaching foibles have offered current Patriots icon Bill Belichick as an example of a rookie coach who failed in his first step on the road to greatness.

Which is a brilliant perspective, unless you consider the 800 NFL coaches whose first-year failures foreshadowed their ultimate failures.

Belichick was the right-hand man of one of the great coaches in history, Bill Parcells. Belichick ran the defense that dominated Super Bowl XXI and stole Super Bowl XXV.

He proved himself a leader of men, even such challenging men as Lawrence Taylor. Belichick won championships by outthinking other great coaches, and was allowed by Parcells to run the defense as he saw fit.

Since they split, Parcells has won zero Super Bowls. Belichick has won three.

Childress was an offensive coordinator under an offensive coach who called the plays.

Anyone still wishing to compare Childress with Belichick will need to pretend Thursday night never happened, which is what most Vikings fans will try to do.

The Packers, supposedly inspired by Brett Favre's annual last-game-in-Lambeau ruse, meandered like contestants in Monty Python's 100-yard dash for the directionally impaired, and yet they outgained the Vikes, 319-104.

The Vikings committed 10 penalties, dropped a handful of passes, ran third-down routes short of the first-down markers, threw to Mewelde Moore on third-and-long and ran their usual stultifying offense.

The Vikings have regressed steadily since October. Even the hope that should be invested in Jackson needs to be put in a safety deposit box until somebody fixes the offense, which was pathetic in design and function.

The Vikings had a short week to play their foremost rival in a game with playoff implications, and the offense played as if it was Week 2 in Mankato.

At least Childress admitted it.

"I have to take the hit on that," Childress said. "If they can't line up right, obviously I'm not teaching them right."

Which means that today is a good day to be Brad Johnson, or Mike Tice.

With Jackson taking over at quarterback, the offense was supposed to become more explosive. Instead, it imploded against an inferior defense. (The Packers, entering the game, ranked 19th overall and 26th against the pass.)

Somewhere, too, Tice was smiling, realizing he took a less talented team to a 9-7 record a year ago.

Remember, Tice liked throwing the ball past the first-down markers, sometimes even into the end zone.

Jackson's first pass went to Troy Williamson, on third-and-4, for 1 yard.

His first long pass? A beauty to Williamson, who dropped it.

The Vikings managed three first downs, one via the pass.

When the Vikings traded up in the draft to select Jackson in the second round, Childress told us he couldn't wait to see what the kid would do after getting some coaching.

A lot of people can't wait for that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Vikings officially out of the picture

OUCH. That was brutal.

I liked this though...

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Fri, Dec. 22, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings officially out of the picture[/size]

By Jim Souhan

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

Think of how the NFL feels. The Vikings' rookie coach might have ruined their entire network.
    ...as if the Browns-Steelers game didn't do that already? At least the Vikes-Packers game was close.

whoo, no doubt this guy's opinion. This article has pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of my hopes for Childress to turn the offense back around. Pretty much every argument against Childress is in there, and it shot down quite a few arguments for him.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

With Jackson taking over at quarterback, the offense was supposed to become more explosive. Instead, it imploded against an inferior defense. (The Packers, entering the game, ranked 19th overall and 26th against the pass.)
    did any of us say that?!?!?! i dont think we did.. i'm pretty sure we just wanted somebody else in there cause BJ wasnt getting it done. we werent expecting to put up 400 passing yards..
    i m better than you, so just give up...

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Ther are very few of us here that are calling for Childress to be fired.. I am not one of those people..

Like I said before, Childress just needs to learn how to call a game offensively, or hand the reigns over to someone that does.. We will be better next season.. It was all a learning curve this year with the new systems, coaches, and players..

Look for us to have a strong draft, and go hard in FA.. Heres to a better, brighter 2007 season Viking faithful.. Skol Vikings..

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Ther are very few of us here that are calling for Childress to be fired.. I am not one of those people..

Like I said before, Childress just needs to learn how to call a game offensively, or hand the reigns over to someone that does.. We will be better next season.. It was all a learning curve this year with the new systems, coaches, and players..

Look for us to have a strong draft, and go hard in FA.. Heres to a better, brighter 2007 season Viking faithful.. Skol Vikings..
    Agreed. It feels like people here don't trust Childress enough and even go as far as to think he is a dumb person without human logic.

He definitely needs to turn over the playcalling. I could definitely see it happening over the offseason. If you noticed last year as far as FA and draft goes, Childress is fairly good at addressing talent. We got Griffin, Leber, Hutchison, Smith, and Taylor from his talent evaluation. I think those players have worked out pretty well for us including some surprises here and there.

We'll definitely be hitting FA hard again. The guy knows there are huge holes on this team.. he's not incompetent.

His first draft has looked OK so far but the jury is clearly still out on it. We'll see how he does this year.

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

Coming from the STribes most sanctimonious writer, I'd have to say this was Jim Souhan's Pulitzer Prize! :

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    Coming from the STribes most sanctimonious writer, I'd have to say this was Jim Souhan's Pulitzer Prize! :
    I thought he brought up some very valid points. While it's true that despite a lousy first season he could bounce back to become a great coach, the odds of him being a failure are much higher.

So many people think he will be a great coach, but while he was in Philly, he did not call the plays, he had a role much like Derek Bevell has here. Would you hire Darrell Bevell as your next HC?

They say he built QB's, but the only name I know that's associated with him is McNabb. Remember he also had McMahon in both Philly & Minnesota & we all know he is a flop.

I'm not saying he should be let go after one season, but I am not going to put him on the same plane as Bellichek.

All year long we had many 3rd and long passes which were thrown short of the 1st down marker or handed off in hopes of getting it with a run. So many times it failed because the YAC didn't pan out, yet we kept doing it. People like Wiggins who had great success last year were used sparingly this year. IMO, that was a step backwards.

There were a lot of times one could say, "well we did not execute it properly", but given that failure rate, why keep doing it over & over again? Throw just over the first down marker for crying out loud.

The big question is, how many of those plays were as Childress called them vs. how many were QB decisions? A high percentage of the 3rd & long run plays must have come from the bench.

There is no doubt in my mind that a genuine offensive coordinator needs to be brought in here.

He had success with the Badgers, but succeess in your role at the college level, does not equate to success at the pro level, (see Steve Loney) & we have several coaches that were broufgt in from the college level.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"