Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings’ Offensive Outlook

[size=18px]Vikings’ Offensive Outlook [/size]

By: Scout.com
    Date: Jul 1, 2006

Been away from Vikingsland since Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl? Here’s a recap of what went on the last five month and how things are shaping up on offense with a new coaching staff, a new scheme and a number of new players.

The Vikings' offensive outlook entering training camp:

The Vikings, who entered free agency with an NFL-high $31 million in salary-cap space, elected to make their biggest splash by giving record money to Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson. Hutchinson signed a seven-year, $49 million contract that included $16 million in guaranteed cash to play alongside left tackle Bryant McKinnie and center Matt Birk.

That trio will be expected to open up plenty of holes for running back Chester Taylor, who bolted from a backup role in Baltimore to sign a four-year, $14.1 million contract that calls for $5.6 million guaranteed. Taylor's addition bumps Mewelde Moore to a backup role.

Taylor's lead blocker will be another new addition, fullback Tony Richardson. The veteran left Kansas City after 11 seasons to fill a position the Vikings rarely used in the offensive scheme employed by former coach Mike Tice.

Brad Childress, hired to replace Tice in January, also brought in three players from his former team, the Philadelphia Eagles. Artis Hicks was acquired in a draft-weekend trade and will enter training camp as the starting right guard. Receiver Billy McMullen also was obtained in a trade and will compete for a spot on the roster. Veteran Mike McMahon, meanwhile, left Philadelphia to sign with the Vikings as a free agent and will serve as the backup to Brad Johnson. McMahon's tenure with the Vikings might be short.

Tarvaris Jackson was taken in the second round of the April draft and will spend this season learning. If the Alabama State product proves to be a quick study, he could move up the depth chart in quick fashion.

One player who won't have to worry about competition is kicker Ryan Longwell, another of the team's free-agent investments. The longtime Green Bay Packers kicker received a five-year, $10 million contract that contained a $3 million signing bonus. Longwell holds several Packers team records, including career scoring (1,054) and field goals made (226).

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Football is played in pads. We've got some shorts All-Americans out here and we'll see if they can play with those hats on come a month or so." -- Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, who is looking forward to training camp.

Vikings’ Offensive Outlook

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings’ Offensive Outlook

I'll be honest with you all,

I've been a Viking Fan for something like almost 40 years.....I'm very excited about all these changes on our offense and the new coaches we now have in place....

Coaches, with exception to Childress, are all young and hungry to prove. Childress himself, now has the chance to call the shots, and I think he is going to fill his role nicely for us..

With our new O line, as long as the play and jell well together, I think even I could run for a 1,000 yards this season... I'de prefer to run to the left side, very hard and behind those behemoths.....

With a WCO type O, I see our recievers doing very well, I really think K.Rob will shine along with Travis T.....Troy should also be one to watch coming off his rookie season which I thought he was under used and tested way to much..

I feel Chester Taylor and MM will be just fine and produce thru-out the season, espeicaly with TR at fullback next to them.....Our TE's are fine, with good hands and knowing how to find the seems and laying some wood when asked to...

I know QB is a big question for all, but I have a ton of faith and belive in Brad 100%.....He's a leader and knows how to play the game within his limits.....With a good line and weapons around him, he is just as dangerous as any of the big named QB's...

This is going to be an exciting season for sure...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Since this is going to be an exciting season & you being a new season ticket holder & all, how many games are you coming up for Ned?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Same here Ned! I look at every postion we have...and think to myself...we have a d@mn good well rounded team. I think in previous years we excelled on offense and alot of us our stuck in those days. The days of the "All Star" is gone. The days of "Team first" is here.Childress reminds me of a younger more mild-tempered Bill Cower. Like him or love him ( I happen to love Cower) Cower and his Steelers are a well rounded team. I really truly beleive that the 07/08 season is really our time to shine...but I think we'll see a taste of whats to come in 06/07. I cant wait to see our boys Monday night against the Skins.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

This is about the time where the offseason really takes effect and ticks you off. I want the season to be here now. Soon enough it will be TC and again I will be caught waiting for this team to get on the field. Really sounds like we have a good team overall at every position except for maybe linebacker. Can't wait.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"VikingNed" wrote:

I've been a Viking Fan for something like almost 40 years.....I'm very excited about all these changes on our offense and the new coaches we now have in place....

Coaches, with exception to Childress, are all young and hungry to prove. Childress himself, now has the chance to call the shots, and I think he is going to fill his role nicely for us..

With our new O line, as long as the play and jell well together, I think even I could run for a 1,000 yards this season... I'de prefer to run to the left side, very hard and behind those behemoths.....

With a WCO type O, I see our recievers doing very well, I really think K.Rob will shine along with Travis T.....Troy should also be one to watch coming off his rookie season which I thought he was under used and tested way to much..

I feel Chester Taylor and MM will be just fine and produce thru-out the season, espeicaly with TR at fullback next to them.....Our TE's are fine, with good hands and knowing how to find the seems and laying some wood when asked to...

I know QB is a big question for all, but I have a ton of faith and belive in Brad 100%.....He's a leader and knows how to play the game within his limits.....With a good line and weapons around him, he is just as dangerous as any of the big named QB's...

Lost me on that...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"Braddock" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:

Lost me on that...
    I think he means Tice used TWill on special teams but really under used him as a WR. They brought him because of his speed then rarely put him in a position to use it on offense.

WWBGD

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Ah. i see
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I'm excited about all the possiblities, I hope everyone clicks.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"VikingNed" wrote:

AMEN!!!

Finally pumping some positive feedback about johnson.. way to lift the sirits.. save that.. copy and paste in any thread that needs cheering up this offseason!
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast