Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings offensive line: Right wants added might

I find no comfort in that article.If Hicks and/or Cook suck again this year, it won't matter how good anyone else is. We will be in for another year of offensive ineptitude. And believe me when I say, I am as big of off season purple shaded optomist as there is. But a line that can't block will turn a lot of fans into realists in a hurry.
    I wanted them to draft a left guard in the third round. So I would be delighted to see them pick up a veteran before the season.
    I mean, isn't that how we got Hicks?
    We can and need to do better.
    I want to win.
    You have a chance with inexperience at a lot of positions if the line is solid.
    If the line isn't solid you end up with what Culpepper faced his last year here. Misery!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I wanted them to draft a left guard in the third round. So I would be delighted to see them pick up a veteran before the season.
    We swapped our 4th round pick (109th ) for the Eagles 4th (127th) & gave them our 6th round for Hicks in last years draft.

With the 127th selection we took Ray Edwards, which so far appears the best part of that trade.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:

We swapped our 4th round pick (109th ) for the Eagles 4th (127th) & gave them our 6th round for Hicks in last years draft.

With the 127th selection we took Ray Edwards, which so far appears the best part of that trade.
    Thanks Singer. I couldn't remember the details and was obviously to lazy to look them up.
    I'm thinking Edwards is by far the best part of that deal.

During the 2006 draft the Eagles traded the 4th and 6th round

selections acquired from the Vikings (#115 and #185 overall) to

the Packers for their 4th round selection (#109 overall)
    With the 109th pick they took wide receiver Jason Avant from Michigan.

The following players were taken between Avant and Edwards.
    110 Cleveland Leon Williams ILB Miami
    111 Baltimore Demetrius Williams WR Oregon
    112 Cleveland Isaac Sowells G Indiana
    113 St. Louis Victor Adeyanju DE Indiana
    114 Miami Joe Toledo T Washington
    115 Green Bay Will Blackmon CB Boston College
    116 Tennessee Stephen Tulloch MLB North Carolina State
    117 N.Y. Jets Leon Washington RB Florida State
    118 New England Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
    119 Denver Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
    120 Chicago Jamar Williams MLB Arizona State
    121 Carolina Nate Salley DB Ohio State
    122 Tampa Bay Alan Zemaitis CB Penn State
    123 Cincinnati Domata Peko DT Michigan State
    124 N.Y. Giants Barry Cofield NT Northwestern
    125 Dallas Skyler Green WR Louisiana State
    126 Denver Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville

I'm happy with Edwards.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville

I wonder if this kid is really smart?

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

8-6-07 Monday. Quote from KFAN
    Anthony Herrera replaced Artis Hicks as the starting right guard today, and Marcus Johnson took a few reps at right tackle in place of Ryan Cook. By the end of practice, Herrera and Cook were slotted in with the first team offensive line.

Go Herrera!

Dilfer

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Anthony Herrera replaced Artis Hicks as the starting right guard today, and Marcus Johnson took a few reps at right tackle in place of Ryan Cook. By the end of practice, Herrera and Cook were slotted in with the first team offensive line.

Go Herrera!
    IMO that means Hicks is sucking, as expected. Hopefully Herrera will make the most of the opportunity, because we need him to step up big. I have no faith in Hicks.

From what I understand Johnson and Cook have been back and forth throughout camp. There was a little talk of Bollinger and Jackson feeling pressure during the scrimmage, but not enough to make me worry.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

the whole line, but especially that right side is so important to us being able to do anything on offense this year that if they can't sort it out, then i'm gonna break something.
    and if detroit with their shitty offensive line gets things figured out cuz of the free agents they brought in i'm gonna really snap.

it just scares you that if they over-estimated the likelihood of these guys improving on the line, how far off base are they about their other estimations at positions that look thin, qb, wr, de?
    i wish i could watch the practices just so i can judge for myself instead of listening to 8 varying opinions about the same exact practices.
    damn my lack of patience
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

no way..

first of all.. this article was GOOD! it talked about a part of the team that is pivatol, the line. it is the foundation that builds a successful or unsuccessful offense.

this article talked about the position battle at the right side.. and competition breeds improvment.. this was the best article i've read in a month.

it also gave me confidence that the right side knows they stunk and that they needed to improve.

we will have a strong right side next year.. this article says competition at the spot..

therefor i see vast imrpovment, with who ever they start
    i m better than you, so just give up...

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

Go Herrera!

Not bad news. I'd surely like Herrera to step up his game. He is violent enough to be a good G in the NFL.

Hicks does look more like a versatile back up, that can fill in at multiple positions along the line.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    the whole line, but especially that right side is so important to us being able to do anything on offense this year that if they can't sort it out, then i'm gonna break something.
    and if detroit with their shitty offensive line gets things figured out cuz of the free agents they brought in i'm gonna really snap.

it just scares you that if they over-estimated the likelihood of these guys improving on the line, how far off base are they about their other estimations at positions that look thin, qb, wr, de?
    i wish i could watch the practices just so i can judge for myself instead of listening to 8 varying opinions about the same exact practices.
    damn my lack of patience
    IMO the left side tackle is the most important, as anyone getting around McKinnie (and they often do) have a shot at the QB from his blind said. At least if they are coming from the right side, he sees them coming.

They need to use a FB more often to pick up anyone getting around McKinnie.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast