Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings offensive identity

Hey,

I was thinking about all of the injuries we have had on offense and it seems to me that instead of the KAO, we should name this scheme the "Purple Heart Offense".
    It seems to me that it fits the bill perfectly and can set the tone for years to come. ;D

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Vikings offensive identity

Really it has not been that bad.
    Just TJ and now AD.
    So I really do not think that fits.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Hey other coach" says Brad Childress "We're going to run up the gut like 20 times today, see if you can stop this kick jiggly butt offense!"

That pretty much sums up our offensive identity, oh and also yelling at the other coach "Don't worry about those crazy liberal plays like "play action" and draws, cause you won't see play action and you'll only see draws on 3rd and forever."

Our offense is a joke, I'd rather go back to losing to the Giants and Falcons in the playoffs with the Denny Green era than the lets not win or go to the playoffs Childress era so far.
    I mean for crying out loud, atleast Tice WON a playoff game.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Hey other coach" says Brad Childress "We're going to run up the gut like 20 times today, see if you can stop this kick jiggly butt offense!"

That pretty much sums up our offensive identity, oh and also yelling at the other coach "Don't worry about those crazy liberal plays like "play action" and draws, cause you won't see play action and you'll only see draws on 3rd and forever."

Our offense is a joke, I'd rather go back to losing to the Giants and Falcons in the playoffs with the Denny Green era than the lets not win or go to the playoffs Childress era so far.
    To be honest, with Peterson, Taylor, Kleinsasser, Richardson, Birk, Mckinney, and Hutcinson, no defense should be able to stop our running attack.

I think we have an offensive identity. We run the ball. Thus, if you stop the run, you will beat us.

Yeah, we never us playaction. We didn't use it against KC, or Chicago. Maybe we never tried the playaction because the run wasn't working well enough to set it up. Maybe the Vikings saw a strong safety and LB corps, and tried to attack the defense's weakness instead.

Making harsh criticisms about the entire offensive scheme based on one game is sad IMO. You could have said this comment:

after the San Diego game...minus the sarcasm.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

To be honest, with Peterson, Taylor, Kleinsasser, Richardson, Birk, Mckinney, and Hutcinson, no defense should be able to stop our running attack.

I think we have an offensive identity. We run the ball. Thus, if you stop the run, you will beat us.

Yeah, we never us playaction. We didn't use it against KC, or Chicago. Maybe we never tried the playaction because the run wasn't working well enough to set it up. Maybe the Vikings saw a strong safety and LB corps, and tried to attack the defense's weakness instead.

Making harsh criticisms about the entire offensive scheme based on one game is sad IMO. You could have said this comment:

whats the sense of using play action? its not like our WR corps are going to scare anybody..the D is going to man up..load the box..BAM we're fucked..AGAIN! lol

"V" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

Playaction requires several key elements:

The threat of the run (we have this)
    Good pass blocking (we don't have this)
    A average QB at best (we don't have this)
    A threat at WR (we don't have this)
    An offensive minded coach (we don't have this)

See, it's easy to be a armchair coach and say what we should do and should not do.
    Even though Chilly has yet to have any success I would wager that he and at least some of the coaches around him have a better grasp on the execution than any of us.
    Which means, can't execute what we are uncapable of executing.

Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Just TJ and now AD.
    How about Holcolm and taylor? they missed games. Have none of our WR's or OL missed games this year?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Just TJ and now AD.
    How about Holcolm and taylor? they missed games. Have none of our WR's or OL missed games this year?
    Holcomb?
    Do you really think having him injured hurt this team at all?

And when CT was hurt we still had the best RB is the NFL.

It's not as if Hutch got hurt and we were sucking at that position.

Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Just TJ and now AD.
    Holcomb?
    Do you really think having him injured hurt this team at all?

And when CT was hurt we still had the best RB is the NFL.

It's not as if Hutch got hurt and we were sucking at that position.
    Don't know how any of the injuries have hurt us for sure. Holcolm's may be more substantial that Jackson's for all we really know at this point.

I only brought up the fact that we have had some injuries on offense and the purple heart thing was a little humorous. Nothing more.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Something's got to change.

To win the Super Bowl, a team needs an offense that can run and pass, and a defense that can stop the run and stop the pass. You need multiple stars on both offense and defense. You need excellent special teams play.

Childress has massively improved rushing offense and defense. He has not yet improved the passing game on either side of the ball. There are signs the secondary coverage is coming together, but that's it.

At this point, we have one offensive superstar, AD. Maybe Steve Hutchison also qualifies. Matt Birk is past his prime. On defense, we have KWill. EJ and Greenway look like they might break into stardom at some point. Out of this whole group, when Childress arrived, we had KWill and a struggling EJ, nobody else. Now we have this nice, developing nucleus of talent. We need more stars, but Childress has made progress.

The main problem I am having is I am starting to think that perhaps our offensive scheme would work well in college, but does not have enough deception, stretching the defense, or surprises to overcome a pro defense. Secondly, our pass rush is anemic because KWill doesn't have help in that area.

These thoughts lead me to think that Coach Childress should adjust the offensive scheme. I think the best OC we've had in recent years has been Linehan, and I would like to see him as OC again next year. Alternatively, we should emulate his plays from the 2004 season.

Cheers!

Go Vikings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast