Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings offense not ready for Monday Night Football

[size=13pt]Vikings offense not ready for Monday Night Football? [/size]

By Jason Logan
    Sun, Sep 10, 2006

It was definitely time for a change in Minnesota.

After Randy-gate, Daunte’s defection, Tice’s termination and of course the ‘Love Boat’ scandal, new head coach Brad Childress has a clean slate to help pull the Vikings out of their embarrassing rut.

But change is not with out its troubles. The kind of troubles that have Minnesota set as a 4 ½-point underdog for Monday’s season opener against the Washington Redskins.

“The biggest factor hurting the Vikings is their offense,” says Chris, an oddsmaker for . “Especially with their offensive line and wide receivers.”

The Vikings spent most of their offseason money trying to patch holes in the offensive line after giving up 54 sacks last year. Minnesota’s biggest acquisition was guard Steve Hutchinson from Seattle, who lines up with other o-line standouts Matt Birk and Bryant McKinnie. The Vikings protection is full of talent, but may be without direction for the first game of the season.

“I think they could struggle early with new systems,” says Scott Rickenbach of Covers Experts. “It takes a while for an offensive line to jell. They will be better in the long run, but [Minnesota] will take a while. They are a possible early fade.”

The man behind the line may also have his troubles on Monday night. Quarterback Brad Johnson, who turns 38 next week, is running Childress’ version of the West Coast offense without a legitimate receiving threat.

"With what we`re doing right now, I would say [Johnson is] very comfortable with it," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell told the Washington Post. "We`re just trying to clean up little things."

Minnesota has a mess to mop up at wide receiver. Only two of the Vikings top receivers from last season are actually at that position, giving the first spot on the wideout depth chart to either Travis Taylor or Marcus Robinson. Minnesota’s thinness at receiver will put more pressure on Johnson to look for tight end Jermaine Wiggins and running backs Mewelde Moore and Chester Taylor.

“I do think Johnson can do well, but at the same time [the Vikings] lack the ability to stretch the field,” says Rickenbach. “Short passes and dump offs will only work for so long and then teams will key on that.”

The Vikings seem fine with their current roster and have faith in the aging Johnson, who is the only quarterback to complete 60 percent of his passes for 10 straight years.

"He puts you in situations where he`s not going to gamble," Wiggins told reporters. "He`s not going to give the game away. He`s just one of those leaders, one of those great character guys. I think that`s the most important thing to winning is having a collective group of guys who can make plays instead of just having one guy that people can focus on."

Oddsmakers are not sharing the Vikings’ optimism, setting one of the lowest totals (36 ½) on the Week 1 board for their debut Monday night.

Share your thoughts on this article in the Covers posting forum.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Gift is offline Coordinator

Re: Vikings offense not ready for Monday Night Football

we will find out tomorrow, can't wait... :P

http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

offensive line? you mean that offensive like that has 2 probowlers, along with a guy that just earned a monster 7 year deal?
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

i couldnt care what they say oddsmakers and so called "football experts" are hardly ever right!and most of them dont even know wtf they are talking about!

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I can't wait until we don't have to put up with anymore speculation after tomorrow night.
    All the questions will be answered soon.
    SKOL VIKES!
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

fungus83 is offline Training Camp

I'm not even going to say anything about this article. It doesn't even deserve criticism it's that bad. I know I can be biased to the Vikings, but this guy is an idiot.

Twinkings83 is offline Training Camp

I dont give too much into articles like this.. Im just excited to see the purple on monday for 4 full quarters...
    Who knows what we will produce.. LETS GO PURPLE..
    If we get smoked and only score 3 points maybe i will agree..
    Still way to early for that crap.

Im excited. Footballs back!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i have never wanted a monday so badly. the start of the questions are answered.
    We're bringing purple back.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Who is this pinhead and what is Covers.com anyways an online beating preview site?

He didn't happen to mention that the Skins changed their offense too and have looked terrible in the preseason, so we will see tonight what team has the bigger mess.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

apparently hes never heard of Troy Williamson if he thinks we dont have someone who can stretch the field. Its so dumb how contradicting "experts" can be. The Vikes 1st team pretty much killed everyone in the preseason yet they get no credit. The Redskins get killed by every team in the preseason but they are still the favorites and excuses are made left and right for them. The Vikes will thoroughly handle the Redskins tonight but still it will be called a fluke for them. The Vikes will be underrated until they make the playoffs...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast