Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Jeremy is offline Starter

Re: Vikings Offense making progress.....

With a safety at the LOS it makes it a lot easier to cover all those short routes. You need complete the deep abll to keep the defense honest. Right now it's the weakest part of the Viking offense. That's why we'll be seeing a lot of that 8 in the box IMO.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: BJ should get a raise

"MensaTice" wrote:
    Again. You are letting personal feelings get in the way of the reality of the situation. He will get a raise and any player in his situation deserves one. The "he signed a contract" argument doesn't work. This is the NFL and this is how it works.
    Who's letting who's feeling get in the way?

When Daunte wanted a raise after his 2004 season, all you heard from people was "Well, he signed a contract. If he's stupid enough to have signed it....tough"

Dauntes base salary that year was $535,000.

Now I like Brad as much as I did DC, but first of all, BJ isn't asking for more money & secondly he signed that contract knowing full well that if Daunte got injured, he'd be the starter.

And that's just what happened.

Now that he's the starter, if he asks for starter money, then it should be structured accordingly & incentive based, just as it was for DC.

If anyone should have ever gotten a raise on the Vikings team for his contributions, it should have been Moe Williams.

Since he's been back in MN his annual salary has been $666,000 with nary a raise.

He had performed well enough to be paid more that & was called upon for extra duty in a RB role when Smith & Bennett were injured.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    It appears you are. :wink: Hey, I'm just talking about how the world works. Is it right or wrong? I really have no opinion on that. But the way this works, he will get a raise because starting QBs don't get paid backup money. Its simple logic.

[color=red]

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"MensaTice" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    It appears you are. :wink: Hey, I'm just talking about how the world works. Is it right or wrong? I really have no opinion on that. But the way this works, he will get a raise because starting QBs don't get paid backup money. Its simple logic.
    It isn't bothering my feelings either way. The question is, "What is considered a fair base salary for a starting QB in the NFL?

$1.25 mil isn't exactly chump change. Here's a link to the QB's salaries in 2004. I don't know why 2005 isn't up yet, but it'll give you an idea by comparison.

USA Today Salary Data Base

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

To address a couple different thoughts in the wandering thread.... Yes, BJ should get a raise, but not a huge one..... Remember, even though he played decent for us last year, he could not get a starting gig with anyone else. This is the only reason that he was a back-up for us.

Brad will do fine this year and maybe next. The only problem is that we should be getting really good about the time he is set to retire. We need to get a capable and young QB this year to start grooming. Someone who can rise the Pine for a year or two and absorb the offense. I would love to see them trade up to get one of the top guys, if the price isn't crazy. After all, Most of our draft picks would be back-ups and wouldn't start at most positions, except maybe the right side of the o-line, LB, and maybe a nickel-back.

Thanks Lotza!

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I get Herschelitus when talking about trading picks. I would like Cutler, but I don't want to ruin our draft in a deep year for one player, especially an unproven one. I'd rather use those picks for need, maybe get Omar in the 2nd, and see what happens. Unless Cutler fell far enough to make him less expensive, pickwise. I don't think he will. I think Vince might, but I don't want him. I'd rather have Omar.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

"HornedHat" wrote:
    I get Herschelitus when talking about trading picks. I would like Cutler, but I don't want to ruin our draft in a deep year for one player, especially an unproven one. I'd rather use those picks for need, maybe get Omar in the 2nd, and see what happens. Unless Cutler fell far enough to make him less expensive, pickwise. I don't think he will. I think Vince might, but I don't want him. I'd rather have Omar.
    I believe the value of our draft just went up pretty well with a number 1 two seconds and two thirds...wow...am i correct on this matter?

Packkill3r is offline Training Camp

"nephilimstorm" wrote:
    "HornedHat" wrote:
    I believe the value of our draft just went up pretty well with a number 1 two seconds and two thirds...wow...am i correct on this matter?
    Yeah, we have 5 picks on the first day, and that is pretty huge. Granted, if we dont match Burlys contract. And, we can get some depth on ouyr roster real quick with those many picks. Cant wait.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I just cant believe the draft is at the end of april this year...i meaning the near end lol

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567