Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    eastcoastvikes is offline Starter

Re: Vikings offense in the last 6 games

It's all good Gift, gives me an excuse to do something besides edit my paper lol

Sig courtesy of josdin00

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Well.. BigBen.. good to see a knowledgable fan come and talk. Stats are the best evidence that we have to prove who is the best team. Like the olts don't have the best special teams, but they are undefeated... Not all stats are reflective of the team, but on the whole the are accurate.
    Maybe that's just because I was in deabte for a while, and everything I said in a round had to be backed up with stats and proper justification.

At least you are only bringing up our last 6 games, because with the other 7, our stats wouldnt even look near as good... But thank gooness you arent playing the Vikings from just 6 weeks ago, you are playing the vikings on a 6 game winning streak.

Keep on the stats I say.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

"BigBen" wrote:
    [quote]"vegasvike" wrote:
    "BigBen" wrote:
    That's it guys I'm sold...Sunday they will just have the two coaches meet at the 50 and compare stats then call it a day. :roll:
    Hey Ben this is football not a yugioh card game they are going to go out there and play!!! The steelers are what 21st in passing O but did ben throw a touchdown aainst the #1 D? So if we are going by stats then last week your team should have lost! Now get back to your pokemon game where drago-lizard can't be defeated by aquaplant because his rower ratings aren't as high!
    Now this is the most ridiculous post I have seen. Now I realize I am new here, but I thought this was a football forum where people talked about football (and used facts and stats as a point of reference to their conversation). At least eastcoast and others responded with facts and there was a good football converstation going on. All I brought up was an observation that I made based on results of your past 6 games. Most vikings fans have a lot of football knowledge and seem to enjoy a good respectable discussion on both teams and the upcoming game. Now you on the other hand only show that you are more knowledgeable on pokeman than football.

In the game of football, the coaching staffs will look at past games and tendencies and make observations and a game plan that hopefully will be successful. Sports talk shows and media will do the same for us fans on the upcoming games (you probably just referenced one to come up with those offensive stats you quoted). Even your little home town uses stats and analysis that determine the spreads each week...and yet you come in here and insult me because I take the time to use stats and analysis behind my comments and not just shoot off at the mouth?

Nothing I said was disrespectful and I didn't say that your offense would not move the ball on the steelers. I just enjoy analyzing the games and talking with other fans about the two teams. If you are not looking to do that then why are you here? Sometimes if you don't really have anything meaningful to contribute...then maybe not say anything at all (you will probably look a lot more intelligent that way).
    Well what I was saying is that stats don't win games. If you had any sense then you would have picked that up if stats played such a big part of the game then we would not have beaten the giants and the Ravens would not have beaten you a couple of weeks ago! When it comes down to it heart and play abiltiy wins games not numbers.

So statboy let me know what I messed up on!!

PS almost at 2 mill in pop I don't think that is all too small and that is my big finish with you
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"BigBen" wrote:
    I hear so much in here about the improved vikings defense and all the turnovers they caused in the last 6 games. What really surprises me is that nobody is talking about the problems the vikings offense has had once they got these turnovers. When I looked at this, I couldn't believe the results...this is huge because it has been consistent over these last 6 games.

If we look at interceptions, I think I counted 17 over the last 6 games which is outstanding (granted 5 of them came from a rookie from harvard making his 3rd nfl start).

Rams: 5 int
    Detroit: 3 int (in 2 games)
    Cleveland: 3 int
    Packers: 2 int
    Giants: 4 int

Now to be fair, 2 of these were returned for touchdowns (1 packers, 1 Lions) and 1 against the Lions and Rams was on the last play of the game so we should back those out. That leaves your defense giving your offense the ball 13 times.

In the giants game, the viking offense produced nothing out of the 4 interceptions.

In the Packers game, the other interception not returned for a touchdown resulted in a punt.

In Cleveland, 3 interceptions resulted in 1 touchdown (you started at the cleveland 32) and two punts.

In the 2 Detroit games, 1 interception resulted in a touchdown (you started on their 11)...the other 2 int's were backed out since your offense did not have the opportunity to score.

In the Rams game, the other 4 interceptions resulted in 1 touchdown and 1 field goal and you started both of those on the rams 21 and 28 yard line.

Of the 13 times your offense had the opportunity to do something with the ball after an interception, you scored 3 touchdowns (from the Lions 11, the Rams 21 and the Browns 32 and 1 field goal starting at the rams 28). And this is supposed to being during the time when you are "a different team" and playing great football.

Everybody is talking about how Brad Johnson is the savior of this team but it looks like there is still a lot of problems with them capitalizing off of turnovers...and if the vikings are having problems doing it against the bad defenses, how will they do against the better teams?
    This is a very good post I like ya ben :wink:

What most have us have stated throught the threads here is that our D is vastly improved in defense to what TIMEsteelersfan was saying about our D. In fact, I dont recall anyone saying our offense has really improved that much... we have had more consistancy on offense over the past 6 games but I definately would not consider our offense as amazing and I dont think any of the Vikings would disagree with me there. Our defense has been pretty rock solid in the redzone. We also have 5 of our ints in the redzone. This is why I think our D has become a much better unit

team redzone eff % goal to go eff %
    St Louis 1-4 25% 0-2-0%
    Detroit 1-3 33% 0-1-0%
    Cleveland 1-4-25% 1-2-50%
    Green Bay 0-0 0% 0-0 0% (not sure if this is right but its from NFL.com)
    New York 1-5-20% 1-1-100%

To answer your question the Vikings have put together an average amount of longer drives nothing to write home about. What has been our biggest problem on offense has been penalties (mainly from the offensive line) and sacks.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

carterfan is offline Waterboy

Hey purple dudes !! Just joined and this is my first post. Sorry so lengthly, but I am PUMPED !!

I agree with this post in that our offense has certainly not "driven the stake' in our opponents. However, this is a Brad Johnson offense - not an offense controlled by the gunslingers of the past. Brad is the most confident, and conservative QB in the NFL. This seems weird for all of us Viking fans because we are so used to hoping our defense tries to minimize damage, and letting our offense control the game. Our defense is now controlling the game, and is now doing exactly what they should have been doing all year. Tice predicted that it would take some time for them to jell, and he was right. These new guys were brought in to make the Viking a defensive team !! Something we havn't had since the 'ol Jerry Jones regime. Vikings will beat the Steelers on Sunday, they will make the play-offs, and all the stupid-a55 sports analyists who have been dis'in us all year will have egg smashed all over their faces !!! Yes we will have to continue to fight the uphill battle, and may not make the big show, but wait 'till next year !!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Eastcoast and Bigben are pretty decent posters compared to some of the crap that has hit the board in the last week - cut em some slack. We asked for meaningful conversation/banter - they brought stats, and it's sure better than my coach can beat up your coach....

I agree they should capitalize on more of the turnovers. The counterargument is that many of those may that didn't result in points for us probably saved us 7... (a counterPOINT, not counterFACT).

On a side note, Erasmus has a knack for knocking the living crap out of opposing QB's... Ben's thumb may end up far worse after this game (just a hunch).

I'm looking forward to a very hard-nose football game. Plus, finals are done and I can get drunk as a skunk enjoying it!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

BigBen is offline Training Camp

"Wiggles67" wrote:
    "BigBen" wrote:
    Thanks...good to see most of you vikings fans are also good football fans and like to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of both teams (unlike some who have posted in here).

I almost wish the steelers and vikings played more often...you guys are cool to chat with

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

just remember most fans are blinded by their faith in their team...like me! All I know is that this game is going to be very exciting to watch!
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"BigBen" wrote:
    "Wiggles67" wrote:
    "BigBen" wrote:
    Thanks...good to see most of you vikings fans are also good football fans and like to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of both teams (unlike some who have posted in here).

I almost wish the steelers and vikings played more often...you guys are cool to chat with
    Thanks.

I have a lot of respect for the Steelers organization and a put them high up on the NFL pedestal. The fans are pretty cool too and realistic.

Thanks for coming here. After this weekend, we'll see you guys in 4 years...unless we meet in the Super Bowl.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"BigBen" wrote:
    I hear so much in here about the improved vikings defense and all the turnovers they caused in the last 6 games. What really surprises me is that nobody is talking about the problems the vikings offense has had once they got these turnovers. When I looked at this, I couldn't believe the results...this is huge because it has been consistent over these last 6 games.

If we look at interceptions, I think I counted 17 over the last 6 games which is outstanding (granted 5 of them came from a rookie from harvard making his 3rd nfl start).

Rams: 5 int
    Detroit: 3 int (in 2 games)
    Cleveland: 3 int
    Packers: 2 int
    Giants: 4 int

Now to be fair, 2 of these were returned for touchdowns (1 packers, 1 Lions) and 1 against the Lions and Rams was on the last play of the game so we should back those out. That leaves your defense giving your offense the ball 13 times.

In the giants game, the viking offense produced nothing out of the 4 interceptions.

In the Packers game, the other interception not returned for a touchdown resulted in a punt.

In Cleveland, 3 interceptions resulted in 1 touchdown (you started at the cleveland 32) and two punts.

In the 2 Detroit games, 1 interception resulted in a touchdown (you started on their 11)...the other 2 int's were backed out since your offense did not have the opportunity to score.

In the Rams game, the other 4 interceptions resulted in 1 touchdown and 1 field goal and you started both of those on the rams 21 and 28 yard line.

Of the 13 times your offense had the opportunity to do something with the ball after an interception, you scored 3 touchdowns (from the Lions 11, the Rams 21 and the Browns 32 and 1 field goal starting at the rams 28). And this is supposed to being during the time when you are "a different team" and playing great football.

Everybody is talking about how Brad Johnson is the savior of this team but it looks like there is still a lot of problems with them capitalizing off of turnovers...and if the vikings are having problems doing it against the bad defenses, how will they do against the better teams?
    The main reason that Brad is getting credit for the resurgence is not that he is throwing tons of TDs...it's that he is not making mistakes and turning the ball over..something Pep WAS doing along with his offensive output. The bottom line is that Brad is not LOSING games for us...he is taking what the opposing defenses are giving him and what his supporting cast is giving him the opportunity to do...he doesn't have to be an offensive wizard...just not a gift giver to other defenses. As long as he is steady and relatively mistake-free, he gives us a chance to win every week...including THIS week. I guarantee you that our blowout losses earlier in the year wouldn't have been so lopsided if Brad had been in there...Pep was trying to do way too much and was forcing passes into tight coverage...Brad doesn't do that...he takes the sack or throws it away...this gives us poorer stats...but it also doesn't give the other team the ball with a short field...our offense lives to fight another down! I am very pleased with the results of both our offense and our defense...and think that they will match up very well with the Steelers...it will be a tight game and the team that makes the least mistakes will be the winner of a close game. We think that our team will be that team at the end of the game...mainly due to a direct comparison between Brad and Ben...experience will trump youth in this instance...plus our defensive line will be fired up to get Kevin Williams back plus the fact that Erasmus James is improving every week and is growing into a force on the edge. Your offensive line will have their hands full...and it will definitely be a battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball...the battles that will most likely decide the game. Again, I give our guys the advantage...they are on a roll...and have shown improvement every week with no discernable end in sight. It will be a great game...but the Vikings will prevail! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345