Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    BigBen is offline Training Camp

Vikings offense in the last 6 games

I hear so much in here about the improved vikings defense and all the turnovers they caused in the last 6 games. What really surprises me is that nobody is talking about the problems the vikings offense has had once they got these turnovers. When I looked at this, I couldn't believe the results...this is huge because it has been consistent over these last 6 games.

If we look at interceptions, I think I counted 17 over the last 6 games which is outstanding (granted 5 of them came from a rookie from harvard making his 3rd nfl start).

Rams: 5 int
    Detroit: 3 int (in 2 games)
    Cleveland: 3 int
    Packers: 2 int
    Giants: 4 int

Now to be fair, 2 of these were returned for touchdowns (1 packers, 1 Lions) and 1 against the Lions and Rams was on the last play of the game so we should back those out. That leaves your defense giving your offense the ball 13 times.

In the giants game, the viking offense produced nothing out of the 4 interceptions.

In the Packers game, the other interception not returned for a touchdown resulted in a punt.

In Cleveland, 3 interceptions resulted in 1 touchdown (you started at the cleveland 32) and two punts.

In the 2 Detroit games, 1 interception resulted in a touchdown (you started on their 11)...the other 2 int's were backed out since your offense did not have the opportunity to score.

In the Rams game, the other 4 interceptions resulted in 1 touchdown and 1 field goal and you started both of those on the rams 21 and 28 yard line.

Of the 13 times your offense had the opportunity to do something with the ball after an interception, you scored 3 touchdowns (from the Lions 11, the Rams 21 and the Browns 32 and 1 field goal starting at the rams 28). And this is supposed to being during the time when you are "a different team" and playing great football.

Everybody is talking about how Brad Johnson is the savior of this team but it looks like there is still a lot of problems with them capitalizing off of turnovers...and if the vikings are having problems doing it against the bad defenses, how will they do against the better teams?

Re: Vikings offense in the last 6 games

Great Post Big Ben.

Buuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnnn!

NordicNed is online now Jersey Retired

Good thing I have TWO BOOTS, one for each of your silliness...

As stated before, lace them up and strap it on.......

Your in for a World of Hurt come Sunday.....

PROMISE

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

There's not much they can say to that post Big Ben. That's great work.

smootloot is offline Starter

its all about stopping the other team. if they cant score then they cant win. and who can see the words MOMENTUM written all over an int. its the ability to take one of the picks and put the points on the board. forces the other team to make more risks to get it back. its the quicksand theory. and the other thing is field postition. the way our team plays it makes the other team drive the length of the field which we can all say is really hard.
    "Ron Mexico is here."

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Good thing I have TWO BOOTS, one for each of your silliness...

As stated before, lace them up and strap it on.......

Your in for a World of Hurt come Sunday.....

PROMISE
    hahaha, you tell em Ned. They don't call you pp.o foot up your sillieness for nothing! :lol: Steelers fans, you can do all your smack talking and what not, but that is not gonna help your team beat us on sunday. They will lose to the Vikings.

BigBen is offline Training Camp

I also didn't mention the 61yd kickoff return against the Rams that also resulted in a field goal.

I get the impression that the vikings have difficulty if there offense is playing on a long field, is this true (just looking for a serious and honest discussion about your offense)?

eastcoastvikes is offline Starter

Now lets be fair here... you ask your offense to capitalize on the posessions you are mentioning where you start in the other teams territory. Some of those interceptions (about half) gave the Vikings the ball on their own 20 or worse... it is not reasonable to ask them to score a td on every drive they start from there. In the Giants game Sharper returned a pick for a TD and they missed a FG on one pick.. again around a 50% clip of the opportunity for points. Also not factored in is that in the Cleveland game there were also 2 fumbles that the offense cashed in on. That would make 19 turnovers and 9 scores, with two ending in knees. Therefore 9 scores out of 17 opportunities to score... not quite so bad when you consider that many where they did not cash in started from their own side of their 20. Just further proof that stats can be misleading.

Sig courtesy of josdin00

smootloot is offline Starter

nice post east coast. its good to see someone smart from the east coast.
    "Ron Mexico is here."

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

When Big Ben & his hurt thumb has to start passing because we have shut down your running game and we pick him for 3 int's and 2 are for TD's. Our offense will not have to do that much in our win against your beloved team!

Even tho you beat the Bears your team has still lost 3 out of your last 4 and we will start your team on another losing streak!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast