Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings offense finally finds way out of stacked box

When did I say it is always good to run play action ? I merely was saying, we need to do it "often enough". Of course, there are situations when you don't do it.

One situation where you do run it is in the red zone. Bill Walsh always said this. He said, when the defense has its back to the endzone, it is way too easy for linebackers to just run at the running backs (there is nothing behind them in terms of space to make them worry). So Walsh's solution was to run play action. It generally works, too. And yet, I constantly see most NFL teams, when they get down to 2nd and goal from the 4, run straight at the "teeth" of the defense, and it generally doesn't work. When they run play action, they almost always get single or zero coverage.

This "let's win on the line and just knock them back" stuff also mostly fails, because they just add linebackers and then it is your 6 or 7 offensive blockers against their 7 or 8 or 9. But throwing works, and call it finesse or whatever you want, but that is what the 49ers did and they have 4 rings (or is it 5 ?).

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Mr" wrote:
    One trick play is not going to take men out of the box for the rest of the season.

IMO what we're gonna have to do if we ever want to establish the run again is:

Spread it out, 3-4 wide receiver sets, start spreading the ball around the field.
    Use Shiancoe to keep them honest deep by hitting him behind the safeties.
    Then when the safeties are back, we start running the ball.
    If we have 7 in the box, Peterson will be successful.
    With a successful running game, we start running the play action.
    Exactly right. In addition, we will finally be able to run the screen, flair, and draw successfully. It will give more space in the short passing game the west coast offense demands as well.
    A fine example would be what Brady did to our defense 2 years ago. We don't have Brady.But we would be better if we spread them out more.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

What genius thought of the double post route on the Berrian TD.. i know childress wife told him.. theres no way bevel and chilly is that smart.

Nice to see something a little fancy from this team for a change...but now can we open up that play book a little more please?

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"SharperImage" wrote:
    What genius thought of the double post route on the Berrian TD.. i know childress wife told him.. theres no way bevel and chilly is that smart.
    Either somebody screwed up that play, or it was a horrible design.
    Why would you want to run both patterns in the same area?...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

I would love to see a flea flicker with AD, Shank would be guarenteed to be uncovered down field, hell I think BB would end up uncovered down field. The problem is I don't think our OL could protect long enough for that.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:
    AA had to of run the wrong route. But with Childress as HC I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Chazz" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:
    AA had to of run the wrong route. But with Childress as HC I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

According to BB, he (BB) ran the wrong route and shouldn't have been there, but he saw the ball and went after it.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:

According to BB, he (BB) ran the wrong route and shouldn't have been there, but he saw the ball and went after it.
    Yep. It looked retarded but Berrian made a pretty nice adjustment in his route to the ball. It wasn't a well advised throw by Frerotte but it worked out for the best. I guess I'm not complaining.

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:

Right on...I hadn't heard that. I knew that they both should not of been at the same place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast