Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings O-line more of a concern than Jackson?

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    in the first article the dude kinda scared me, bringing up what happened to the rams last year, and he has a very good point. Our depth is pretty bad, maybe not bad, but unproven, we have Hicks and some guys who dont have much or any experience playing in the NFL. I actually agree with him that it is a bigger concern than Tjack, cause lets say BMac gets suspended for a couple games, and Hutch gets a hurt, we would have Hicks and, maybe Jon Sullivan starting on the left side, and that worries me. I still dont understand why we didnt take Carl Nicks in the 6th rd.
    I still think about this all the time. We should have picked him.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=46373.msg805546;topicseen#new

Make up your mind dudes, is the OL a strength or a weakness?
    Kind of amusing having the articles posted at the same time.

Every team in the NFL is subject to huge impacts by key injuries.
    You can't have a lock on every position including depth.
    If key injuries happen, they happen.
    No one is giving us a championship this year, a lot of things have to line up to make it happen.
    For us, and every team.
    You just have to hope they don't happen and deal with it the best you can when it does, just don't expect the same level of play when your star players get hurt.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    It has been for 2 seasons. Going into this season is no different
    A huge overstatement. To be more worried about the OL than Jackson is ludicrous.

I will admit depth is lacking but still not very worried.
    What is actually ludicrous is to continually contend that there is nothing wrong with an OL that had had Johnson,
    Holcolm, Bollinger, and Jackson all under center and has consistently produced the same results. Pressure from the ends by underwhelming pass blocking at the OT position that creates an environment where the QB has no time to get set, make reads or get in any sort of a comfort zone. I am sure when Bollinger came in that game and got sacked 3 consecutive times and never got a chance to set his feet, that the problem was his and the line did nothing wrong. I disagree.

That is 100% on the OL.

You will also notice that the time you state in another post that the line started doing well and put us on a winning streak was also the time we went to a 2 TE formation much more often where we kept the TE's in to bail out the OT's and buy the QB a little more time. When the line can pass block without keeping in extra blockers to help out those who cannot do their job by themselves we will have a much better passing game whether the QB is Jackson, Frerrotte, Booty, Farve, mcNabb or whoever the flavor of the day is.

If the line cannot block without extra help, it doesn't matter who is under center, just like it hasn't so far, because nobody will be successful.
    If Johnson, Bollinger, Holcomb, and Jackson were actually good quarterbacks, but the OL was holding them back, I could understand your point. It simply wasn't the case. Just as much as the OL suffered, our QBs looked completely lost back there. We've argued about this many times this offseason and we both know where we stand.

I can understand concerns about the OL, but am I more worried about them than TJ? Hell No. Get a QB who can beat the blitz (gasp!) or call an audible when he sees one, or scramble to evade a collapsing pocket instead of jumping straight up in the air. Those are some of the things that make good QBs good, and none of our past four QBs had those qualities.

Sure we saw a lot of our Tackles getting beat by edge rushers. We also saw a lot of coverage sacks, and a lot of confusion by our quarterbacks. I'm not going to ignore one because the other exists.

For the record, I have admitted that our OL play isn't perfect, but I simply believe those problems won't be an issue if we see improved play from Jackson and WRs who can make plays.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

While we are not perfect along the oline I did like the improvement in play from Childress's first season to his second season. With the addition of Herrerra and Cook who essentially finished there rookie season's, there was good improvement. Not only in the overall play but individual play. Cook looked much better than his rookie season which is expected and the coaches were able to control Herrerra's fysty personallty in order to bring him down to a poised mentallity. I thought that we started seeing far less pentalties especailly during our winning streak where all the peices seemed to come together. IMO McKinnie had his best overall season while Hutchison played better than his previous. Matt Birk had some solid games but I havn't liked how the pocket has held up or the way the middle has calapst so often.

I think its true that the extreme youth at QB topped with a very average crop of WR's put extra pressure on the offensive line. Of course the predictability never helped them either, when a Defense can know what is coming it never makes easy for the Lineman. I think that like V said with improved play from the QB and WR's we are bound to make the Olineman's job easier.

Some like to say we have average WR's but I think average will be surpassed with solid play. I think that Berrian is gonna do his thing and continue to improve his overall game like he's shown in previous years. I also think that Sidney Rice a key to the equation and I can't say it enough, we won every game he contributed in last year. He needs to stay healthy and reliable for Tarvaris. The thing about Rice is he's only 21 more closer to 22 but essentially still a kid who has mass potential mentally and physically. So far he's shown he's a big factor when playing and he has a great work ethic. Berrian has already taken note of this seeing how hard he works.

Last year at seasons start Rice wasn't even in the equation as a starter but in his second year he will be teamed with Berrian as our teams go to guys. Insert Tarvaris Jackson who yet has another year under his belt. I think that the added dimmensions of Berrian and Rice on a full time status will propel Tarvaris's play and his confidence in who is around him. In the end I see the emerging play of Tarvaris, Rice and Berrian as pressure lifters for offensive line and vise versa.

This doesn't mean that our Offensive Line will have it easy, especailly early when teams will challenge our passing game. I think that the addition of Thomas Topah at FB will pay big dividends not only in the running game but as a Pass Blocker in protetcing Tarvaris when he needs that time to get it downfield. Instead of stone hands Williamson, Berrian, Rice, or Allison will be on the other end.

I think that more so this year that last year the acctuall players are beginning to believe in what we are really trying to build. I think that the moral that is very high at this time and it will carry over into the season and that along with additions and more experience will make a very solid offense and I hope to see a consistent one. We have the potential on our offense to be very explosive and as each unit steps up to consitent play we will create one of NFC's top offenses's. More than any individual unit imporving I think we want to see them all improve and become consistent within one, something we never seemed to do last season.

With McKinnie's suspension looming I don't worry too much, I like it that he will be playing the first few weeks, two of which are huge games. This gives our second year LT Chase Johnson more time to prepare. Chase had a very solid colligant carear and we liked him enough to add him last offseason. I think he has good competion to practice with and I don't worry too much about him playing for a game or two, even more in the event of injury. Speaking of injury some here worry but all of our starters have been very durable in there carears decreasing there %'s. I don't expet a loom of injuries along the Oline but I guess it could happen, it could happen anywhere on the team. I think we do our best to condition these guys that way they don't get injured through workout programs and a fluid high paced practice. Alot of our backups along the oline are unproven and unseen but rather than doubting them lets just hope we have made the right decisions.

sh01002 is offline Rookie

I'm not that worried either.
    We're still strong without him.
    Play in my Vikings fantasy football league!
    http://www.rotohog.com/group/nfl/joinleagues/viewleague?leagueid=9025

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    A huge overstatement. To be more worried about the OL than Jackson is ludicrous.

What is actually ludicrous is to continually contend that there is nothing wrong with an OL that had had Johnson,
    Holcolm, Bollinger, and Jackson all under center and has consistently produced the same results. Pressure from the ends by underwhelming pass blocking at the OT position that creates an environment where the QB has no time to get set, make reads or get in any sort of a comfort zone. I am sure when Bollinger came in that game and got sacked 3 consecutive times and never got a chance to set his feet, that the problem was his and the line did nothing wrong. I disagree.

That is 100% on the OL.

You will also notice that the time you state in another post that the line started doing well and put us on a winning streak was also the time we went to a 2 TE formation much more often where we kept the TE's in to bail out the OT's and buy the QB a little more time. When the line can pass block without keeping in extra blockers to help out those who cannot do their job by themselves we will have a much better passing game whether the QB is Jackson, Frerrotte, Booty, Farve, mcNabb or whoever the flavor of the day is.

If the line cannot block without extra help, it doesn't matter who is under center, just like it hasn't so far, because nobody will be successful.
    If Johnson, Bollinger, Holcomb, and Jackson were actually good quarterbacks, but the OL was holding them back, I could understand your point. It simply wasn't the case. Just as much as the OL suffered, our QBs looked completely lost back there. We've argued about this many times this offseason and we both know where we stand.

I can understand concerns about the OL, but am I more worried about them than TJ? Hell No. Get a QB who can beat the blitz (gasp!) or call an audible when he sees one, or scramble to evade a collapsing pocket instead of jumping straight up in the air. Those are some of the things that make good QBs good, and none of our past four QBs had those qualities.

Sure we saw a lot of our Tackles getting beat by edge rushers. We also saw a lot of coverage sacks, and a lot of confusion by our quarterbacks. I'm not going to ignore one because the other exists.

For the record, I have admitted that our OL play isn't perfect, but I simply believe those problems won't be an issue if we see improved play from Jackson and WRs who can make plays.
    So you are saying the the QB's were given ample time to get set, make the reads and then release the ball without a defender in their face enough time to make the play, but that they made the wrong reads, throws etc that any competent NFL qb would make in those situations?

I would enjoy seeing any film of that so that I can make the case for the obvious need to change all of the QB's on the roster and the coaches directly responsible for their selection and development.

Chazz is online now Coordinator

"V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

That is 100% on the OL.

You mean Super-Bowl winning Johnson?? Or throwing for 429 yards against a pittsburg D, Holcomb?? Those guys are the worst ever. They suck!!

tybrones87 is offline Rookie

I hope you aren't trying to tell us that Holcomb and Johnson were great quarterbacks. You can't just pick and choose which games you are going to base a judgment of a player on, you have to look at the whole picture.

Chazz is online now Coordinator

"tybrones87" wrote:
    I hope you aren't trying to tell us that Holcomb and Johnson were great quarterbacks. You can't just pick and choose which games you are going to base a judgment of a player on, you have to look at the whole picture.
    Look at Johnsons whole career then. He has been a very efficient QB since he was our starter the first time. If Brad was unable to move the offense, then something was wrong with the offense.

JPPT1974 is offline Starter

The OL needs to better protect Jackson as Birk can't be there all the time.
    NFL 2013 is Here!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast