[size=13pt]Now, real work begins[/size]

Pass rusher, offensive playmakers top team's wish list

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings - Now, real work begins

4. KEEP CHILDRESS IN CHECK

It doesn't appear as if anyone at Winter Park has the clout to challenge Childress. In running the offense, Childress clearly frustrated his players with his "My way or the highway" approach, and indications are that his offensive assistants were "yes" men. In other football moves, Childress determined what players came and went. One of the team's tackiest moves was telling wide receiver Marcus Robinson that he would be released on Christmas Eve and then not releasing him until the day after Christmas.

Omnipotent coaches/executives rarely work in the NFL, regardless of name and experience, because ego eventually gets the best of anyone with that much power. But someone needs to rein in Childress.

It appears most of the organization is accountable to him. But who is holding him accountable?
    Wilf aleady stated he will not hire a GM & that he backs Childress all the way. With his assistants being "yes men", that means there will be no one keeping Childress in check.

Little Hitler has complete control of his regime.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

3. GET TWO PLAYMAKERS BECAUSE ONE MAY NOT BE ENOUGH

Someone could get hurt, or someone could be a flop. But running back Chester Taylor and whoever starts at quarterback next season need help.

With more than $23 million in salary cap space, the Vikings have the means to compete for anyone in free agency. The pool of receivers is shallow and unimpressive. But there are a couple of receivers who could be available via trade, such as Oakland's Jerry Porter. He is big and fast, and he has big-play abilities.
    The problem with that is, based on what we have seen, Childress doesn't understand the term big play. We always knew that his offense was going to be a more conservative one compared to what we were used to but even one like that needs big plays on occasions. If we go for someone like Porter then it could be a sign that Childress may be loosening the shackles a little. However I'm concerned that we get a big-play receiver and then don't use him properly

Tight end also is a possibility, with the most attractive option being Daniel Graham of the New England Patriots. He is the type of player Childress loves: versatile and tough.
    And why a TE? we have a very good one with Wiggins but he wasn't used to anything near what he is capable of. Like the above statement about a big play WR, why get a new TE when you've not made use of the one that you currently have.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"AngloVike" wrote:

And why a TE? we have a very good one with Wiggins but he wasn't used to anything near what he is capable of. Like the above statement about a big play WR, why get a new TE when you've not made use of the one that you currently have.
    We need a faster TE in this system who can stretch the field with YAC. Wiggins or Kleinsasser cannot do that.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:

We need a faster TE in this system who can stretch the field with YAC. Wiggins or Kleinsasser cannot do that.
    Yeah. Wiggy is cool, and used to have reliable hands, but he's slooooooowwwwwww.

And he had quite a few drops this season, just like everyone else on the Vikes squad.
    -Sno

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    That's a little harsh, don't you think?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"AngloVike" wrote:
    The problem with that is, based on what we have seen, Childress doesn't understand the term big play. We always knew that his offense was going to be a more conservative one compared to what we were used to but even one like that needs big plays on occasions. If we go for someone like Porter then it could be a sign that Childress may be loosening the shackles a little. However I'm concerned that we get a big-play receiver and then don't use him properly
    He understood the big play pretty well in Philly.
    As the OC, he didn't call the plays, but he did draw them up.
    And the deep route or deep slant to TO was definitely on there.

I think very few big plays were called this year because of the talent on our O.
    At first we started calling them.
    Remember the Washington and Carolina games.
    We had several deep passes in both.
    But then as it became apparent that BJ didn't have the arm strength, and our main deep threat (TWill) didn't have the hands, we stopped.

When TJ took over as QB, Childress tried a few deep calls again, but again TWill couldn't catch them.

Next year, if we get some kind of threat that can open up the field, we will see more deep passes.
    I think that will be Childress's number one priority in the offseason.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

bearitall Guest

GET A PASS-RUSHING DEFENSIVE END

Who knows how many pieces away the Vikings are on offense? But the eighth-rated defense was one capable pass rusher from being a top-three unit.

I am with this one all the way.
    Let's complete the defense first.

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    That's a little harsh, don't you think?

=Z=
    It's obvious to me you didn't see the [size=12pt]Childress' restrictions chase out Joe Senser[/size] thread.

"Bleedspurple" wrote:

I was talking to two Vikings alumni the other day (I work with a company that is a sponsor of the Vikes), and they were telling me about how the entire team hates Childress.
    I guess Brad limits the time alumni can be around the team and hang down at Winter Park.

Needless to say this alumni was telling me he was talking to Brad Johnson last week and how low morale was, and it was aimed at the coach and not their record.
    The alumni and the team have nicknamed Childress "Little Hitler"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"bearitall" wrote:
    GET A PASS-RUSHING DEFENSIVE END

Who knows how many pieces away the Vikings are on offense? But the eighth-rated defense was one capable pass rusher from being a top-three unit.

I am with this one all the way.
    Let's complete the defense first.

No no no... With Erasmus James coming back, and if they resign Darrion Scott, we will be fine at DE.. We need help desperately on offense.. Lets face it, our offense is offensive.. Offense first..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast