cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Notebook - Greg Blue

[size=9px]Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com[/size]

[size=14px]Eliminating Mistakes[/size]

We're all humans, so we make mistakes. That's how the saying goes anyway. Well, NFL coaches likely don't pay much attention to cute sayings and they surely don't accept those sayings as excuses. And that is why NFL players can't be human and make mistakes - they have to be superhuman and eliminate mistakes.

"It's going alright, I like what's going on," Vikings fifth-round draft choice Greg Blue said of his first training camp in the NFL. "I'm not making too many mistakes, although I did make a couple of stupid mistakes the other day. But for the most part camp is going well."

Blue's coaches seem to agree with him.

"They are eliminating mistakes, and I think that's the important thing," Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said of his two young safeties, Blue and Will Hunter. "You acknowledge that there are going to be some mistakes. You don't necessarily like it, but you acknowledge that it's going to happen. But they're not making the same mistake twice for the most part, and that's part of the process for a young guy, particularly at the safety position."

The 6-2, 216-pound safety isn't used to making mistakes - as you can tell by looking at his collegiate career.

Blue attended the University of Georgia and was part of a senior class that appeared in four bowl games, winning three, and won 44 games, the most by any class in Bulldogs history. He played in 49 games, starting 28 of those contests. For his career, Blue finished with 260 tackles, including 189 solo stops, and a reputation for being one of the nation's hardest hitters.

As a senior, Blue was named a first-team All-American by Walter Camp, the Associated Press, the American Football Coaches Association, and the Sporting News. He also earned first-team All-SEC honors as a senior.

Coming to the Vikings, Blue finds himself in a fairly familiar scheme, which has helped ease his transition to the NFL.

"I played in this scheme at Georgia," Blue said, "so I'm somewhat familiar with it and now it's just a matter of me getting accustomed to it and getting used to playing with my new teammates."

One of those new teammates is veteran safety Dwight Smith, signed just before training camp began. Smith's experience and success in big games, along with his mastery of the current scheme being implemented by Vikings coaches, makes him a great example for Blue.

"He's a really good player," Blue said of Smith. "Just watching him because he already knows the defense in and out so watching him I'm getting a couple more tips of how to play certain situations."

Having a few NFL veterans for friends has also helped ease Blue's move to the Vikings.

"This is what I expected," Blue says. "I've got a lot of friends already in the NFL so they were telling me the ins and outs of training camp to help me know what to expect coming in. It's pretty much just like I thought it would be, except for the weather.

"Weather-wise," Blue said, "it's about the coolest ever for me during training camp because I went to school in Georgia so it was always hot during camp there."

Despite how prepared Blue was for his transition to the NFL, even he will admit it's not easy moving to another area of the country after living and attending school in the same area.

"It's tough getting acclimated to a new area and I still don't have a place to stay," Blue said. "I'm living out of a hotel so this isn't college anymore. It's hard you know, you've got to find a place to live and a car and everything. But I can handle it and I'm in a great situation so it's all good."

Weather cools down, fan support does not

The weather cooled down a bit for the team today. During practice, temperatures were in the 70s and the sky was overcast. Despite the threat of rain, fans continue to fill the bleachers right near the three practice fields.

Taylor impresses (again)

Receiver Travis Taylor continues to have a very impressive camp this summer. He has tremendous hands and simply does not drop a ball. He has shown a great ability to navigate the field while running underneath routes and make tough catches in traffic. Today, Taylor caught upwards of ten balls during practice, putting on display his precise route-running and excellent hands.

Highlight reel

Linebacker Kyle McKenzie, fighting for a spot in a competitive group of linebackers, made a nice interception today. On the play, McKenzie dropped into his zone and read quarterback Tarvaris Jackson's eyes perfectly, leaping up to grab his pass intended for tight end Richard Owens.

"It was good to see him make that play," Tomlin said. "He's game every day he comes out there, and he made a nice play today."

Dustin Fox also made a nice interceptions during team drills this morning. Fox jumped a quick slant route by receiver Troy Williamson and intercepted quarterback Brad Johnson's pass.

Defensive backs Ronyell Whitaker and Dovonte Edwards both made outstanding plays today during seven-on-seven drills. Each player made a diving play to break up passes on short, underneath routes.

Injury report

Safety Darren Sharper was in uniform today but did not participate much due to a minor leg injury. He was being held out for precautionary reasons.

"It's day to day," Tomlin said. "He should be fine. I don't think it's anything major."

Running back Ciatrick Fason and offensive lineman Bryant McKinnie both left practice early this morning and did not return.

Marcus Robinson took himself out of practice in the early stages of Wednesday morning but returned to the field later. His action was limited, however.

Note:
    Players were given the afternoon off today. Originally, the team was schedule to conduct a one-hour special teams practice

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Notebook - Greg Blue

Injury report

Safety Darren Sharper was in uniform today but did not participate much due to a minor leg injury. He was being held out for precautionary reasons.

"It's day to day," Tomlin said. "He should be fine. I don't think it's anything major."

Running back Ciatrick Fason and offensive lineman Bryant McKinnie both left practice early this morning and did not return.

Marcus Robinson took himself out of practice in the early stages of Wednesday morning but returned to the field later. His action was limited, however.

I hate seeing this crap.. We have had way to many injuries so far this camp, and it always seems like they are happening to a starting player.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Thu, Aug. 10, 2006

[size=18px]Blue hitting like Tank[/size]
    Rookie's style shades of injured Williams

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield is known as a hard-hitting tackler.

But Winfield said there is an undisputed winner of that title for defensive backs this training camp: rookie Greg Blue.

The fifth-round pick out of Georgia has been leveling his share of offensive teammates.

"Greg Blue is blowing people up," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "He's making it hard for them to come across the middle."

Remind you of someone else?

While the Vikings are disappointed that starter Tank Williams was lost for the season with a broken kneecap, they could get some of his assets from Blue.

"Me and Tank are similar players," Blue said. "We like to play in the box.

"We have the same build. We have the same style."

Blue is 6 feet 2, 216 pounds. Williams is 6-2, 223 pounds, according to the official roster.

The only difference?

"I just got to make a name for myself," Blue said.

Winfield said he is encouraged because of the progress Blue has made since minicamp.

"He looks real good. His technique has improved a lot," Winfield said. "It's obvious he's a great tackler."

Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said he and second-year safety Will Hunter are eliminating mistakes and not repeating them.

"I think it's been all right," Blue said of training camp, where he has worked on his man-to-man coverage skills. "I've had some good plays, but I've had some bonehead plays, too."

Blue has a ways to go before he makes the team . Even with Williams sidelined, Blue is competing for backup spots with Hunter, former starter Willie Offord and Ahmad Treaudo.

"I don't take it for granted," Blue said of being drafted. "I just got to work my way up."

Taylor a hit: Travis Taylor doesn't want to jinx himself. But he takes pride in not missing any games or any training camp practices with injuries. Last year, Taylor was the only receiver active for every game, and he is the only one who hasn't missed time during Brad Childress' watch.

Troy Williamson had minor hip surgery in the offseason, and Marcus Robinson and Koren Robinson were sidelined during practice Wednesday.

"Guys get nicked up and banged up. But I just pride myself in taking care of my body in the offseason," Taylor said.

In the meantime, Taylor said he isn't bothered by Williamson's ascension on the depth chart.

"Troy is a great athlete," Taylor said. "But we have to work as a unit. One guy isn't going to be that guy that carries us to the Super Bowl. Everybody wants to play and start. But at the same time, you have to embrace your role and take it for what it's worth."

Taylor, though, remains indispensable as a slot receiver.

Skin care: David Mandelbaum, a limited Vikings owner, has donated $60,000 to educate 25,000 students in Minnesota about maintaining skin health.

"Skin cancer is the fastest rising cancer in the United States," said David Mandelbaum, who was once treated for melanoma. "Last year, one million Americans were diagnosed with skin cancer and over 10,000 died from melanoma. When detected in its first stages, skin cancer is highly curative."

Training of local teachers will begin on Aug. 29.

College honor: Paul Wiggin, the Vikings' longtime pro scout, will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on Saturday in South Bend, Ind., in a class that includes Jerry Rice and St. John's coach John Gagliardi.

Briefly: Childress canceled the one-hour, 10-minute afternoon practice in shorts, much to the delight of players.

"We tell the guys to come out here and do what we need to do and trust that we'll have their overall best interest at heart in terms of taking care of them," Tomlin said.

• Left tackle Bryant McKinnie has a partial fracture in his left hand but is not expected to miss any practice time.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Blue hitting like Tank

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Travis Taylor keeps standing out. This guy is the man. He would be more respected if he didn't start out his career with the likes of Tony Banks, Jeff Blake, and Kyle Boller tossing him the ball.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    Travis Taylor keeps standing out. This guy is the man. He would be more respected if he didn't start out his career with the likes of Tony Banks, Jeff Blake, and Kyle Boller tossing him the ball.
    He has great hands, no doubt about it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"