singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings no longer qualify as must-see Sunday TV

[size=13pt]Vikings no longer qualify as must-see Sunday TV[/size]

Last update: September 07, 2006 – 5:54 PM

The Vikings finished 9-7 in 2003 and were knocked out of the playoffs on the final play of that season. But with an offense that featured Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper and 3,479 passing yards, the Vikings attracted viewer numbers worthy of a Super Bowl contender.
    Coach Mike Tice's team averaged a 37.0 rating and 66 share in the Twin Cities that season, putting this market fifth among the 32 NFL cities.

With Moss gone and Culpepper hurt last season, the average rating had slipped to a 32.9 and the share to a 63. While those remain outstanding numbers that any sports league or television property would happily accept without question, it is an indication that a certain segment has tuned out.

"The NFL in general and the Vikings in particular long ago transcended sport, and viewing the games has become a social event in their own right," said John Rash, senior vice president and director of media negotiations for Minneapolis-based Campbell Mithun advertising agency. "But the absence of stars and winning slightly erodes the most casual fans who were energized by their winning ways and by personalities, such as Randy Moss."

While the 2003 and '05 Vikings finished with identical records, it's worth noting that the 2003 team built an early following with a 6-0 start. Last season the Vikings began with a 2-5 record before turning things around.

This year's team has modest expectations, and without a true superstar the ratings could continue to slide. The Monday night opener at Washington and prime-time games against New England and Green Bay could help offset this trend.

"The Vikings won't experience an audience shift the way the Timberwolves did when they went from the Western Conference finals to missing the playoffs, but this current team won't register as high of ratings as it has seen in the last decade," Rash predicted. "The loss won't be as significant, but they may lose one or perhaps two ratings points."

But even if things go poorly, say 5-11 or 6-10, Rash doesn't ever see the Vikings taking a major ratings tumble.

"The base is represented by a remarkable core of viewers, and they will remain unshakable," he said.

JUDD ZULGAD

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

crazyB is offline Starter

Re: Vikings no longer qualify as must-see Sunday TV

i only get to se the first game as my local tv station get's the monday night game's, sky sport's in the UK i'd be lucky to see any sunday game the vikings play unless it's a big game like you say greenbay or the pats.

they never show many vikings game's in the uk so we need to win the superbowl so i get to see more game's over here.

8)
    ;D
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Vikings no longer qualify as must-see Sunday TV

I couldnt give a crap how popular the vikings are.
    they ARE must see tv for me every sunday.
    Let me also add,
    I will take a boring team that wins football games over an exciting team that does nothing more than piss me off at the end of the year.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.