singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings NFC North Preview

[size=13pt]NFL Predictions: Minnesota Vikings NFC North Preview [/size]

Written by Matt Foust
    sports-odds.com

Thursday, 10 July 2008

In 2006 the Vikings finished with a 6-10 record, in 2007 they ended the season at 8-8. Minnesota faithful are expecting at least a two game improvement this year as well as a postseason appearance. The Vikings biggest challenge in 2008 may be living up to all the off season hype. NFL Betting odds at SBGglobal.com has the Minnesota win total set at 8.5 with the over a -105...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings NFC North Preview

Just a good little read. I'm already excited to get this season started, twelve days and we'll be more pumped. Can't wait. Skol Vikings.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for the read my friend.

Minnesota's defense was solid if not spectacular last season. While they did give up a league worst 264.3 yards passing per game, they still held teams to just 19.4 points per game.
    Ahhhhh, lots of yards, with very few points to show for it.
    A product of a cover 2 scheme.

As I said in the another thread.
    Even with the addition of JA and M-will we are still gonna see our secondary give up alot of receptions.

Goal will be for the CB's to close quickly and tackle the guy without significant YAC.
    Additionally, the LB's dropping into the passing lanes of those short passes should bring the reception number down a bit.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Additionally, the LB's dropping into the passing lanes of those short passes should bring the reception number down a bit.
    Yeah, I'm excited to see Greenway play this year. He has great speed and athleticism for a LB. I think we'll see a good amount of picks from him.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:

Minnesota's defense was solid if not spectacular last season. While they did give up a league worst 264.3 yards passing per game, they still held teams to just 19.4 points per game.

Even with the addition of JA and M-will we are still gonna see our secondary give up alot of receptions.

Goal will be for the CB's to close quickly and tackle the guy without significant YAC.
    Good point.
    If the DL can bring pressure without needing the LB's to blitz like last year it will definitely help on the short passes.
    Plus, if the short passes aren't their the QB will have hold on to the ball longer, which will give the DL time to get to him.

For Cover 2 to be effective, like it was in Tampa, you need the QB pressure, which Sapp and Rice brought and Vikes haven't been able to generate.

How would you rate are LB's in pass coverage?
    Greenway should definitely improve given this will be his 2nd full year.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"gagarr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Good point.
    If the DL can bring pressure without needing the LB's to blitz like last year it will definitely help on the short passes.
    Plus, if the short passes aren't their the QB will have hold on to the ball longer, which will give the DL time to get to him.

For Cover 2 to be effective, like it was in Tampa, you need the QB pressure, which Sapp and Rice brought and Vikes haven't been able to generate.

How would you rate are LB's in pass coverage?
    Greenway should definitely improve given this will be his 2nd full year.
    I like what Chad and EJ bring to the table when it comes to speed/athleticism in the passing game.
    I also like what all three bring to the table with respect to using them in blitzing schemes.

My only concern, and it is kindof small, is if Ben can run with the TE's from his side.
    I really think we will see some of the younger guys that make the team (Rufus/Erin etc) get a shot at a few rotations when the situation dictates.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

That site sure likes it's betting. It's was a good article, and it pointed something very important. People look at our defense and think these things. 1. Wow they stuffed every running play. I would hate to run against them. 2. Wow they they were dead last in pass defense. Well their defense sucks because you can score more passing the ball. What people overlook is how many points we gave up. It was 19.6 points a game. Considering the last ranked pass defense, that is pretty dang good. Also, weren't we no.1 in defensive touchdowns. I know we where in the top 3 for sure.

Troy Smith knows... Your Quaterback will know too.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

NFL Betting odds at SBGglobal.com list the Vikings at +3000 odds to win the Super Bowl, +900 odds to win the NFC title, and +185 odds to win what should be a tough NFC North.

After this season I wont have to work another day in my life.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"PackSux!" wrote:
    NFL Betting odds at SBGglobal.com list the Vikings at +3000 odds to win the Super Bowl, +900 odds to win the NFC title, and +185 odds to win what should be a tough NFC North.

After this season I wont have to work another day in my life.

While I recognize the talent in the North, I do not think that we play our game anyone will stop us. The Bears might not have an offensive TD all year, the Lions basically will have no running TD's this year, and the Packers have Aaron Rodgers now.

I think we will see the division crown this year

Thank you Josdin for the sig

We have a great shot at division title this year.
    All of our North away games are earlier in the year than they usually are, so no freezing weather.
    Also there are many more holes throughout the division that we should be able to take advantage of.

Our biggest opponent is going to be ourselves.
    Which is pretty normal for us, but hopefully Childress has a game plan ready and the team has sold out to doing whatever it takes to win.