Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

the vikings next head coach

Chris Cook is a clown. He's afraid of contact. Rhodes is the future at the position, and he need another guy just like him on the other end.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Holzberg is offline Rookie
    I wish we would be getting a new coach, but I seriously fear that the success the Vikings have been having will secure Frazier and his staff their jobs, especially if we win the rest. Frazier is not getting the heat he was before when the Vikings were losing.

I SERIOUSLY hope I am wrong. If we do get a new coach I hope it is Gruden, but we better start talking to him now or he may sign elsewhere.

purplejokr is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    There is enough talent on this team to at least be competitive.
    Competitive for what exactly? And please don't say a division title because being the division winner of the NFC North OR East just means you gave another, better team a bye week in the playoffs.

I am spoiled because I am a Laker fan but I don't want competitive for a playoff spot. I want competitive for a championship. Even if the Vikings made the playoffs this year they would be slaughtered in the first round by the wild card. That isn't what I want.

Right now, this team is barely competitive for an ideal first round pick!

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    I said there was enough talent on the team to be competitive, not to win a championship. Right now they should be competitive enough to compete for the division, which is the first step toward a championship. One must walk before one runs. Given a competent coaching staff, a better than average qb, and improvement in the defense, the team should be good enough to win the division and take the next step. Good thing you have experience with long-term Vikings frustration because the Lakers are set up for long-term frustration as well.

Winning the NFC North isn't much of an accomplishment this year.

Also, I completely agree with your assessment but I wanted to reiterate to demonstrate a point...

The Vikings need...

1) A competent coaching staff.

2) Better than average QB.

3) Defensive improvement.

I agree wholeheartedly with this!! However, I feel the likelihood of all three of these things occurring over the offseason is slim.

1) Does Frazier and company get fired at the conclusion of this season?

Unknown. Time will tell but the fact that this is even up in the air is concerning to me so let's just put #1 in the NO column since we have nothing definitive at this time.

2) Do the Vikings secure a better than average QB during this offseason? This is a possibility. I would like to see Cassel stick around to mentor a first round QB selection. So, let's assume we have a better than average QB next season.

3) Will there be defensive improvement? Getting every healthy will contribute to a improvement defensively but the talent on the defensive side of the ball is simply suspect at this point. And I do not believe that any rookies will have a significant impact on this team next season so for me, this ends up in the NO column.

From my perspective, we'll have no significant defensive improvement. We'll have no coaching changes. We will have Cassel under center from day one next season though... What does that amount to though?

Oh. And I don't anticipate the Lakers will be down long. Here's fun fact to solidify that statement too. The NBA Draft began their draft lottery in 1985. To be clear, every team that missed the playoffs is entered into the lottery to determine the draft order by chance.

The Lakers have dipped into the NBA lottery twice in almost 40 years. Once to draft Eddie Jones 10th overall in 1994 and again in 2005 to draft Andrew Bynum 10th overall.
    Last edited by purplejokr; 12-20-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by purplejokr View Post
    The Lakers have dipped into the NBA lottery twice in almost 40 years. Once to draft Eddie Jones 10th overall in 1994 and again in 2005 to draft Andrew Bynum 10th overall.
    The Lakers did wink and a nudge deals with free agent players like Rick Fox that got the Timberwolves punished with the loss of multiple first round picks. Broadcasters of NBA games openly commented about those deals, and David Stern did nothing but conveniently look aside and wait for a small market team to slip up and become an example.

The Lakers also enticed free agents with huge endorsement contracts that pay players more money without using cap space. Shaq came for the money - more money than the Lakers were paying him.

The latter is within the rules, the former certainly was not.

The Lakers cornerstone player for the last decade has been Kobe Bryant, but the Lakers did not draft him. It has been reported that Bryant's agent indicated to NBA teams that Bryant would not play for them. When drafted by the Hornets, Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, said “That is an impossibility, there are no ifs. It would not happen. He is going to be a Laker, and that’s the only team he’s playing for.”

Of course, we know the NBA is about elite players and elite coaching, and the Lakers have had their fair share, but to think that is all because Jerry West and the ownership in L.A. was playing with the same deck as other NBA teams is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The Lakers did wink and a nudge deals with free agent players like Rick Fox that got the Timberwolves punished with the loss of multiple first round picks. Broadcasters of NBA games openly commented about those deals, and David Stern did nothing but conveniently look aside and wait for a small market team to slip up and become an example.
    1) Rick Fox was a Celtic before taking less money to come to the Lakers in 1997.

2) Please explain to me exactly what you are trying to say? Fox came from Boston. The Lakers built those title teams from 2000-2002 through FA signings like Fox, a trade that brought Robert Horry, another FA signing in O'Neal and another trade that brought Bryant to LA by giving up Vlade Divac.

JR Rider did play in Minnesota before he came to the Lakers but his career went from Minnesota to Portland to Atlanta and then he reached LA.

Is this what you remember? This is the only thing that rings a bell about the Timberwolves being punished by the league. It had absolutely nothing to do with the Lakers though and all about the Timberwolves trying to sign Forward Joe Smith to a deal under the table. Joe Smith Loses Appeal - ABC News

The Lakers also enticed free agents with huge endorsement contracts that pay players more money without using cap space. Shaq came for the money - more money than the Lakers were paying him.

The latter is within the rules, the former certainly was not.
    O'Neal did come for the money. You'll get no argument from me over that point. The Lakers offered O'Neal the same contract that the Orlando Magic offered him in 1996. The only difference was that when Shaq's agent Leonard Armato went back to the Magic Armato was told that the Magic's offer is technically more money because of the state tax difference.

Is Hollywood an allure for NBA players that wish to make money off the court as well? Absolutely. I will not argue that there are inherent advantages to playing in Los Angeles, New York, Brooklyn, Miami, & Chicago versus Sacramento, Milwaukee, Memphis, San Antonio, & OKC. That's just how the world works.

The Lakers cornerstone player for the last decade has been Kobe Bryant, but the Lakers did not draft him. It has been reported that Bryant's agent indicated to NBA teams that Bryant would not play for them. When drafted by the Hornets, Bryant’s agent, Arn Tellem, said “That is an impossibility, there are no ifs. It would not happen. He is going to be a Laker, and that’s the only team he’s playing for.”
    You are half right in your assessment of the 1996 draft status of Kobe Bryant.... From every book that I have read it was Tellem that didn't allow Bryant to work out with any team after his workout in LA with Jerry West watching Bryant demolish Michael Cooper. It was because Tellem knew that many teams would be hesitant in drafting a teenager so high. Especially considering the position that Bryant played. Drafting teenaged big men was easier to swallow for NBA teams at the time instead of drafting a teenaged guard.

Not to mention the Hornets drafted Kobe with the intention of sending him to the Lakers. The Hornets didn't want to groom a teenager because they were set in the back court with Muggsy Bogues, Hersey Hawkins, and Dell Curry. The reason that the Hornets coveted Divac was because of the friction between Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson. The Hornets ultimately dealt Mourning to the Miami Heat for sharpshooter Glen Rice from Miami as well as another little used PG named Khalid Reeves out of Arizona. The Hornets then used the Lakers to pry Divac away from them for Kobe Bryant.

Of course, we know the NBA is about elite players and elite coaching, and the Lakers have had their fair share, but to think that is all because Jerry West and the ownership in L.A. was playing with the same deck as other NBA teams is delusional.
    Again, I agree with you but for an entirely different reason. The ace in the Lakers' deck was always Dr. Jerry Buss. He sold players on the Laker family and the championship lineage. Los Angeles sold itself.

At the end of the day, the Lakers have exploited the advantages at their disposal as good franchises are wont to do. If building a champion were as easy as having a huge market than why is it the Clippers, Knicks, Nets, and Bulls have sucked for so long? Further, it seems that having a small market hasn't slowed down the Spurs much or the Thunder for that matter.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I think the Chiefs turnaround has been largely due to coaching so I think we should get one of their staff. I'd prefer their Spread Game Analyst
    I heard that their Spread Game Analyst will be promoted in the offseason to Director of Intensity Preparation - Special High-Intensity Training unit. (Because of the length of his title, it will be referred to by its initials...)

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I think Musgrave has done pretty well, and has improved every year.

2010-Bevells final year - 281pts(29th)
    2011 Musgrave's first year -340pts(19th)
    2012 Musgrave's 2nd year - 379pts(14th)
    2013 Musgrave's 3rd year - 372pts(through 15 games)(12th)

Despite the failure of the Ponder era the offense has gotten better every year.

Nearly every starter on offense is returning in 2014, why not keep the guy who has been calling plays, and knows them better than anyone?

One option I like for a head coach is Mike Shanahan. He knows the west coast offense and is well respected around the league. He also has ties to Minnesota as a former Gopher coach, and has worked with Musgrave in the past.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I think Musgrave has done pretty well, and has improved every year.

2010-Bevells final year - 281pts(29th)
    2011 Musgrave's first year -340pts(19th)
    2012 Musgrave's 2nd year - 379pts(14th)
    2013 Musgrave's 3rd year - 372pts(through 15 games)(12th)

Despite the failure of the Ponder era the offense has gotten better every year.

Nearly every starter on offense is returning in 2014, why not keep the guy who has been calling plays, and knows them better than anyone?

One option I like for a head coach is Mike Shanahan. He knows the west coast offense and is well respected around the league. He also has ties to Minnesota as a former Gopher coach, and has worked with Musgrave in the past.
    At least in terms of points scored, hard to disagree that the team has improved each year under Musgrave. I think we are seeing different play calling now with Cassel at QB, so Musgrave doesn't look so predictable and conservative. I could see him sticking around (especially if Frazier manages to keep his job). If a new HC is hired, they probably should be able to choose their own staff. One wonders though how much input Musgrave had into picking the weekly starting QB though....
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast