Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It's not necessarily outdated, we just need to tweak it. I don't hear anyone saying that Seattle's defense is outdated yet it is directly evolved from the guys who pioneered the whole cover 2 concept.

Q&A With SB Nation's Field Gulls: So, About This 4-3 Under, Tampa 2... (Part I) - Blogging The Boys

We just need better coaches teaching it.
    I'm judging from observation alone, so I'm probably not accurate here, Seattle seems to play man at the corner 100% of the time. There's no gaping hole between the corner and safety along the sideline, there's no easy completion in front of the corner because of an 8 yard cushion. They don't allow the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. The Vikings have as much talent rushing the passer as they do.

Our Vikes have gotten better about not playing such a soft zone, but we should abandon it almost entirely. There's no denying that Cook and Rhodes have looked better just manning up and playing.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It's not necessarily outdated, we just need to tweak it. I don't hear anyone saying that Seattle's defense is outdated yet it is directly evolved from the guys who pioneered the whole cover 2 concept.

Q&A With SB Nation's Field Gulls: So, About This 4-3 Under, Tampa 2... (Part I) - Blogging The Boys

We just need better coaches teaching it.
    I don't think you can call Seattle's base defense as a cover2/tampa2. They may have coaching background in it, but the 2 deep zone philosophy seems to have been thrown out of their memory banks. From your article:

Yeah, Seattle plays a lot of press-man and press cover-3. Like I said above, it's almost all 8-in-the-box. That's where the physicality on the outside comes in -- if you can jam, re-route, funnel, or disrupt receivers from where they're supposed to be and when they're supposed to be there, it makes the job of the opposing quarterback very difficult. So much of quarterbacking is anticipation and timing, and Sherman and Browner's job is to throw both of those things off. They do a pretty good job at it so Seattle runs it a ton, and for times when Sherman or Browner get beat, they rely on one of the fastest players in the NFL to have their back - Earl Thomas, over the top. But, if the corners on the outside were unable to consistently win in one-on-one, the Hawks would have to do more zone and cover-2 stuff. They still do run some zone concepts and will mix up their looks, but their identity is as a three-high defense.
    I actually think that Frazier/Williams have been trying to emulate a lot of what Seattle is doing, but because of talent and coaching issues, they fall back to their safety valve of cover 2 whenever they get a little nervous.

Rhodes and Cook (on a good day, when he plays) actually fit the mold of Seattle corners and Smith and Earl Thomas are similar athletes. After that, MN personnel at DB and LB are lacking. Adding another good corner that is dependable along with an upgrade athletically at LB would help us out. Then all we would need is a competent coaching staff.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I don't think you can call Seattle's base defense as a cover2/tampa2. They may have coaching background in it, but the 2 deep zone philosophy seems to have been thrown out of their memory banks. From your article:

I actually think that Frazier/Williams have been trying to emulate a lot of what Seattle is doing, but because of talent and coaching issues, they fall back to their safety valve of cover 2 whenever they get a little nervous.

Rhodes and Cook (on a good day, when he plays) actually fit the mold of Seattle corners and Smith and Earl Thomas are similar athletes. After that, MN personnel at DB and LB are lacking. Adding another good corner that is dependable along with an upgrade athletically at LB would help us out. Then all we would need is a competent coaching staff.
    Yeah, I wasn't saying it was a cover 2, just that it was tweaked out of the 4-3 just like the C2 was and that it was done by guys who cut their teeth in the C2. My point was that we really don't have as far to go as some people think to get to a very effective defense if you have the right staff teaching it and if those coaches know how to adjust it to the new offensive schemes they are facing.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Personally, I'm leaning a bit toward bringing in a new offensive scheme and thus a HC who brings something new on that front.

Sure, the balanced teams who can play all three phases are still the stronger playoff teams, and I liked the old school mentality Fraizer and company were building. But, they were a bit too stubborn and stuck in the past. In this day and age, you have to have some downfield game...all the freaking rules have been tweaked toward the offense. Hell, sometimes it looks like Brady just hucks the ball downfield hoping for a penalty, like that was their plan!?!??? I mean really, when you add the %chance of a catch to the %chance of a PI call, you've got a pretty good ratio coming together.

I kind of like Kubiak for HC. Imagine what Peterson could do behind ye ole Denver zone-blocking scheme!?!?? Obviously, he needs a better QB and better blocking from the OL than what he had this year to succeed, but we've got most of the OL in place and need a new QB anyway.

On defense, a big part of the problem has been injuries and lack of talent, some due to aging, but some due to lack of experience too. The latest mocks I've seen pretty much have us grabbing a QB early in round one, and then drafting all Defense after that...DT, DE, LB, CB, and sometimes S, but not necessarily in that order.

I think we need to try harder to resign E.Griffen, that gives DE a serious push down the need list. I'm thinking the 4th round has been really good to us at DE, look for some depth/rotational guys mid to late, and plan to start BR and EG.

Cook is gone. Or, if we keep him on a 'prove it' deal, we can't count on him being healthy any more. I see CB as likely our 2nd need behind QB. It is where the game is. Complete the pass. Stop the pass. Zavier Rhodes has been great, but we need 2 outside guys, and maybe an upgrade at nickel too.

DT is probably next. Specifically, NT. Might want to think about going there early, because the true athletes that big are rare. That extra 3rd we get from SEA may be enough to get our 2nd back up into the first, so we could go round 1 on a QB and DT.

I like Audie Cole and Henderson is better outside than in, but we could really use some better coverage in the middle of the field. Yeah, nickel back too, but also from the LB core. Maybe that is where we hope to score a FA...with some experience.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I think the Chiefs turnaround has been largely due to coaching so I think we should get one of their staff. I'd prefer their Spread Game Analyst
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I think the Chiefs turnaround has been largely due to coaching so I think we should get one of their staff. I'd prefer their Spread Game Analyst
    OMG! He's turned into a mini-me for Andy Reid!??@??? LOL!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I think a lot of you guys were hard on Childress... and demanding his firing was completely uncalled for.

Hire Childress!
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

purplejokr is offline Rookie
    For me this team needs big talent upgrades. It really doesn't matter who the coach is because the talent just isn't there. Outside of Peterson, we don't have many players that would start on other teams.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    There is enough talent on this team to at least be competitive.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    OMG!!!.. He has gained a shit ton of weight... wtf!!...

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast