Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    Just throwing some names out there we need new coaches
    But do you seriously see Lovie as any kind of answer considering he was never able to establish a consistent winner in Chicago? There is a reason he is unemployed.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    I know people will think I am crazy but I would hire Dick LeBeau and have him build our D up and then try to bring in Norv Turner. He is no head coach but he can coach up QBs and game plan an offense. We get those two and we would have a great team, we do have some talent, more than a lot of teams. Think of who we have; Defense- DT Williams, DE Robison, LB Greenway, S Smith, CB Rhodes. On offense - OT Kalil, C Sullivan, TE Rudolph, Wr Patterson, Wright, and Jennings, RB AD, Felton. Those are some young players other than Williams and we have some other young players on D I am sure Le Beau would find like maybe Audie Cole. I love this guy and have wanted him to get a chance since his preseason games last year. It is about time they gave him a chance, it isn't like our LBers are ripping it up.

I know he is old but I would give him a 4 year deal and see I fhe can't win us one in that time
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 12-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    IMHO we are stuck with Frazier for at least next year if not the next two years. We will be playing outdoor the next two years so I personally think our production will suffer for that especially in Dec. It will also make it harder to sign free agents. Most players are not that fond of frost bite or slipping on the sidelines like AP did in this last game injuring his ankle. We will most likely enter the new stadium with a new coach if I had to guess.

WWBGD

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    IMHO we are stuck with Frazier for at least next year if not the next two years. We will be playing outdoor the next two years so I personally think our production will suffer for that especially in Dec. It will also make it harder to sign free agents. Most players are not that fond of frost bite or slipping on the sidelines like AP did in this last game injuring his ankle. We will most likely enter the new stadium with a new coach if I had to guess.
    The players still play hard for Frazier, so that is a positive. If they retain Frazier without bringing in new offensive and defensive coordinators, things won't improve much. They also need to find a QB and upgrade the defense. Then they would have a chance to be pretty darn good, providing they find the right guys.
    I doubt Frazier will survive this season though. Great guy, perhaps not a great coach.

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Lovie Smith's defenses would be welcome; he is what we thought Frazier was. I am only saying he isn't a bad choice, not the perfect choice for our team.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Lovie Smith's defenses would be welcome; he is what we thought Frazier was. I am only saying he isn't a bad choice, not the perfect choice for our team.
    You realize Lovie's D is basically the same as ours right?

It only worked under him becasue he had a good DL, a stud FAST MLB(Necessary for the T2), two GOOD corners, and decent safeties. We have maybe one good corner, and a good safety, not suited for the C2.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    The players still play hard for Frazier, so that is a positive. If they retain Frazier without bringing in new offensive and defensive coordinators, things won't improve much. They also need to find a QB and upgrade the defense. Then they would have a chance to be pretty darn good, providing they find the right guys.
    I doubt Frazier will survive this season though. Great guy, perhaps not a great coach.
    If we are indeed going to be stuck with Frazier for another year or two, then the number one guy that needs to be replaced is Alan Williams. Frazier needs to stay a figure head coach and he needs to bring in a real DC and stay out of his way.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If we are indeed going to be stuck with Frazier for another year or two, then the number one guy that needs to be replaced is Alan Williams. Frazier needs to stay a figure head coach and he needs to bring in a real DC and stay out of his way.
    If they keep Frazier, he would just bring in someone who will continue to run his version of the cover 2, should they fire Williams.
    They need a stud MLB to be successful in that system, as well as better defensive backfield play, particularly at corner.
    I think Frazier is done, but if not, Williams should go first.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    If they keep Frazier, he would just bring in someone who will continue to run his version of the cover 2, should they fire Williams.
    They need a stud MLB to be successful in that system, as well as better defensive backfield play, particularly at corner.
    I think Frazier is done, but if not, Williams should go first.
    I think the cover 2 has finally saturated its usefulness, as late as last year you could look to a couple teams having success with it, but this year, I can't think of a single one. First the QB's became comfortable in finding the soft spots in a static coverage (especially when utilized with a slow moving MLB like MN), however, physical play by DB's could still make it difficult on the middle of the field stuff. But when they started taking away big hits by the safeties, cover 2, all but effectively was given the death penalty.

I think MN has gone away from it a lot as well, but would be curious to see how many times we actually played with two deep safeties this year. The bigger problem we seem to have is that whenever we need a key stop, we revert back to cover 2 and watch the teams march down the field. Scared coaching.

If Frazier believes that cover 2 needs to be his base defense then he should be shown the door with no more questions. Frankly, even if Leslie stays, I think he will have a lot less say in key decisions like coordinator hires....at least I can hope. When Leslie was first hired, I thought his only chance of success was to bring in senior coordinators with a track record of success and leave them with the responsibility of running the offense and defense. We instead hired two coordinators with even less experience/success than Leslie and we find ourselves with a very incompetent staff with nobody to show them the way.

Fire Frazier is the best answer, but if not, then at least start with a real DC. That is the shortest path to better play in 2014 IMO.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think the cover 2 has finally saturated its usefulness, as late as last year you could look to a couple teams having success with it, but this year, I can't think of a single one. First the QB's became comfortable in finding the soft spots in a static coverage (especially when utilized with a slow moving MLB like MN), however, physical play by DB's could still make it difficult on the middle of the field stuff. But when they started taking away big hits by the safeties, cover 2, all but effectively was given the death penalty.

I think MN has gone away from it a lot as well, but would be curious to see how many times we actually played with two deep safeties this year. The bigger problem we seem to have is that whenever we need a key stop, we revert back to cover 2 and watch the teams march down the field. Scared coaching.

If Frazier believes that cover 2 needs to be his base defense then he should be shown the door with no more questions. Frankly, even if Leslie stays, I think he will have a lot less say in key decisions like coordinator hires....at least I can hope. When Leslie was first hired, I thought his only chance of success was to bring in senior coordinators with a track record of success and leave them with the responsibility of running the offense and defense. We instead hired two coordinators with even less experience/success than Leslie and we find ourselves with a very incompetent staff with nobody to show them the way.

Fire Frazier is the best answer, but if not, then at least start with a real DC. That is the shortest path to better play in 2014 IMO.
    It's not necessarily outdated, we just need to tweak it. I don't hear anyone saying that Seattle's defense is outdated yet it is directly evolved from the guys who pioneered the whole cover 2 concept.

Q&A With SB Nation's Field Gulls: So, About This 4-3 Under, Tampa 2... (Part I) - Blogging The Boys

In doing research for various things about the Cowboys switch back to a 4-3 and emphasizing on the Under for the line and Tampa 2 for the back end, I came across some interesting stuff. The only teams that seemed to be utilizing this scheme as their base were the Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks. All three definitely have their own wrinkles, and even with Chicago D-Coord Rod Marinelli joining the staff, the one that initially piqued my interest was the Seahawks version. As soon as I came across the quote by HC Pete Carroll that they "run a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 personnel", I was hooked.
    We just need better coaches teaching it.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast