singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' new QB raised to play

Posted on Tue, Sep. 05, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings' new QB raised to play[/size]
    Coaching dad shaped Bollinger's future

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Ben Leber has yet to play his first regular-season game with the Vikings, but the team's starting strong-side linebacker is one up on his teammates in at least one respect.

Before being sidelined by a season-ending foot injury last November, Leber played in a game against new Vikings quarterback Brooks Bollinger, who worked the final 1½ quarters for the New York Jets in a 31-26 loss to Leber's San Diego Chargers on Nov. 6 at Giants Stadium.

"To tell you the truth, I don't remember a lot about it," Leber said this week. "He came in when Vinny Testaverde got hurt, I think. As far as I can remember, he was slinging the ball all over the place. He looked like a seasoned vet out there."

For the record, Bollinger completed 11 of 20 passes for 106 yards and two touchdowns in that game after Testaverde suffered an ankle injury, an effort that offered the promise of better days to come.

That potential was one big reason why the Vikings traded defensive tackle C.J. Mosley and a seventh-round draft choice to the Jets last week for Bollinger, 26, and why they believe he'll be an improvement at No. 2 quarterback, despite a 2-7 record as an NFL starter.

The fact that Bollinger was recruited to Wisconsin when Vikings coach Brad Childress was an assistant there didn't hurt, either.

"I'm familiar with him," Childress said. "I know how he's wired. He is a coach's son. That's very important."

Take it from Bollinger's father, Rob, who had a 20-year coaching career spent mostly as an assistant at the University of North Dakota: Whether the Vikings' new quarterback is an immediate success or takes some time to grow into the No. 2 role, the pressure won't get to him.

"I would say he's just very solid," Rob Bollinger said. "He's never up too high or down too low. All through high school and college, he very rarely would overreact up or down. He's almost an old-school type guy."

Now an executive director of the university foundation at Bemidji State, Rob Bollinger said he never got the chance to coach his son, but football was in the kid's blood from an early age.

"When I was coaching at UND, he was always hanging around at practices and with the quarterbacks," Rob Bollinger said. "Just throwing and trying to pick things up from them as far as techniques. Like a lot of kids, especially coaches' kids, he was kind of a gym rat. He spent a lot of time with our quarterbacks working on mechanics, and that was really helpful."

So was the fact that Bollinger was able to start from his freshman year at Grand Forks (N.D.) Central High and as a redshirt freshman at Wisconsin, where he had a 30-12 career record and led the Badgers to a 17-9 Rose Bowl victory over Stanford in his first season.

Through high school, though, football was just one of his loves.

"He was the starting quarterback in football," Rob Bollinger said. "He was the point guard on the basketball team. He was the shortstop on the baseball team. They eventually played for the state championship in all those sports. He was really able to be part of some excellent programs and was taught at an early age to be a leader."

At the moment, the natural leader is immersed in a crash course and working overtime to learn Childress' version of the West Coast offense, which is similar but not identical to the one he played in during his first two seasons with the Jets under former offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

"It comes from the same place," Brooks Bollinger said. "There are some different wrinkles here and there, different terminologies. It's almost like speaking a different language from what I've been doing for the last few months."

As a former college offensive coordinator, Rob Bollinger said Brooks' sense of timing and quick delivery should make him a good fit for the West Coast offense.

As a father, he said Vikings fans should expect their new quarterback to pick up the system about as quickly as possible.

"It's a little bit unusual to start this late in the process, but he's pretty resilient," Rob Bollinger said. "As long as he doesn't try to overdo it, I think he's got a pretty good understanding of the terminology and the fundamentals of the offense. I think he'll be fine."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Vikings' new QB raised to play

I am relieved that he is in there instead of McMahon and O'Sullivan. I no longer am worried about the backup QB slot after signing Bollinger and seeing Tarvaris play in the preseason.
    Go Brad Go! Go O-line Go!

Del Rio Guest

What they don't metion is after that game he managed to throw 4 interceptions and 0 TD's and crawl away with a 25.0 QB rating in his next game.

Coaches son or not he is definatley a work in progress.

Prophet Guest

As many have said countless times, BJ needs to stay healthy.
    I meant I wasn't concerned about he backup QBs on a relative basis...the options are better than McMahon and O'Sullivan.
    For the money, I'm glad the Vikings are solidifying depth and other positions rather than signing one of the other marginal backups out there.
    It seems to me that there aren't that many good backups floating around unless you want to give up picks and a lot of coin.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

you only need backups if your starting qb goes down
    We're bringing purple back.

Del Rio Guest

The article is written to lead you to believe this guy is better then he is. That was my point.

This guy eats and breathes football.......he had a good game.......he still sucks.

You only need a fire extinguisher if there is a fire........that doesn't mean you want the one on hand to be a broken piece of shit.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Posts like those are what makes Del Rio great.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

haha, after reading this thread, cant wait until you're on the air del =D

but yeah, despite what they say about him he's not something great, thats why they didnt try and hold onto him there.

one thing i'll give him, he's an improvement over mcmahon & o'sullivan

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese