Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Vikings need a win, preseason or not

Vikings need a win, preseason or not

By Josh Hansen
    Sun, Aug 13, 2006

http://www.covers.com/articles/artic...t=87998&tid=27

Maybe the hardest question Brad Childress faces heading into tonight`s preseason opener isn’t how much time his 37-year-old quarterback will see, or if the new "Tampa 2" defense can handle Randy Moss.

It’s, what’s next for the Minnesota Vikings?

Better yet, can a coach in his first year running the ship supply the Vikings with a new identity they desperately need?

The answer won’t come in a single game against the Raiders.

But it certainly is a start for the 3-point favorites.

Childress has already instilled a no-nonsense, straight-edge approach to coaching the Vikings, beginning by running live contact drills at least once per session during training camp. The goal is to toughen Minnesota physically, but more importantly, to prepare them mentally for what will likely be the toughest season any of the Vikings have experienced.

It`s just one tactic the first-year head coach is using in his quest to right a wayward ship.

“We`re creating a culture of accountability and a culture of truth," Childress told the team at the start of training camp. "Coach to player, and, most importantly, player to player.

"I`m a do-the-right-thing guy. Everyone has an inner compass. If it`s good for you and it makes you a better person, a better football player, do it and do it with great enthusiasm, gusto and vigor. And enjoy it.”

After what the Vikings went through last year, anything would seem like a step up.

But while Minnesota suffered through a nightmarish season on and off the field, it`s easy to forget that they won six of their final eight games, covering the spread in each victory.

Brad Johnson looked comfortable running the offense and shouldn’t have a problem with the West Cost offense Minnesota will use under Childress. Johnson won a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay using the offense, which should favor the veteran because of its emphasis on running the football along with short, quick passing to cutting receivers.

Defensively, the Vikings have switched to the same cover 2 defense that helped Johnson win a championship with Tampa. Minnesota hired former Bucs defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, whose system relies on speedy linebackers and interior linemen who can disrupt the pocket.

How much success either team enjoys depends on how much the Vikings want a fresh start. And of course, preseason games mean little in the overall picture. Ultimately, it is a team’s performance in the regular season that matters most.

But if the Vikings can begin the year with a win, preseason or not, it will go a long way in erasing some of the mistakes of last year, along with reuniting the team concept the Vikings lost along the way.

Tonight`s total is 36.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings need a win, preseason or not

I agree.. They need a win tonight to start off on the right foot.. The Vikes need to set the tone.. They need to come out with aggression, and play fast football.. Be physical and have a solid game.. It will be really nice to see all the new players, and new coaches get a win in their first game together..

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

The two things I most want to see tonight is dominant play from the starting O-Line and a strong pass rush from the D-Line.
    A hundred other things are important as well, but with all the focus Childress has been putting on line play, this is what I want to see first.

The area that I'm most interested in watching tonight is the implementation of the new defensive system, the cover2.
    More specifically the linebacker play.
    Who's getting the start here?
    Ben at strong, Napo in the middle and EJ at weak?
    I want to see plenty of Chad here as well, don't know if the concussion is going to limit his play?

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I think it will be tough for them to pull out a win tonight.
    Oakland has a game up on them already.
    Not to mention Moss is going to be hungry tonight when he visits the dome again.
    Win or Loss I can't wait to watch the game tonight.
    It will be exciting to see all of the new changes take shape.
    No question though... A pre-season win is still a win and it boosts the guys confidence.
    A loss on the other hand, doesn't seem like such a big deal because after all....it's only pre-season!

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

i'm most worried about the production of our offense.

an unproven RB, with an aging qb, and no name receievers..

somebody console me.. i talked with a fellow football fan, and he wasnt smack talking.. but he didnt seem as confident as i in the vikes O... somebody console me.. or tell me the game tonight will console me
    i m better than you, so just give up...

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I want to see a win ,and see how Childress can handle being a head coach.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

It does not matter one bit if the Vikes win tonight or not!

The preseason does not count and the best thing that can happen tonight is to not have 1 injury from the game after that anything else that happens that is good is bonus!

That being said if the Vikes win by 17 points I would be as happy as a clam.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Yea ...agreed.It is preseason, and it means absolutley nothing, BUT..it would be nice to see what Childress has up his sleeve for the season.

Vikes-20
    Raiders-10

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Potus2028" wrote:
    i'm most worried about the production of our offense.

an unproven RB, with an aging qb, and no name receievers..

somebody console me.. i talked with a fellow football fan, and he wasnt smack talking.. but he didnt seem as confident as i in the vikes O... somebody console me.. or tell me the game tonight will console me
    Don't know if this will be consoling or not, but here's my take on this year's Vikes.
    Its true there are no superstars in the skill positions on offense (RB, WR's, QB), in fact, it seemed like Childress and co. tried to steer away from superstars on offense.
    He focused on building a solid offensive line and putting "adequate" personnel in the skill positions with lots of depth.
    If the O-Line can be dominating, and with the apparent focus on running the ball, then guys like Chester Taylor can have a ProBowl year, but I don't see big numbers coming from any one WR.
    I would be surprised to see an offense ranked in the top 10 or 15 this year, but stats like time of posession, field position, and turnovers will be more telling if they are accomplishing their objectives.
    Not real sexy, but can be very effective.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Watch for Brad to spread the ball around alot. Williamson, Taylor(s), Robinson(s), McMullen, Richardson, Wiggins, and Kleinsausser should all get their hands on at least one of those short passes. If he can complete passes to at least 5 different dudes, this should be one hell of a fun game to watch.
    -Sno

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast