Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Need To Shake Things Up and Reconnect W/ Fan Base

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    [Its getting very old to see them go out and get star players, just to finish the season with a losing record.. Now, they aren't even going out to get players that can possibly help us win..
    Big name players don't automatically translate into wins.
    If they did, then Oakland and Washington would be in the superbowl every year.

On the same note, players without as much name recognition do not automatically translate into loses.
    If they did, then I can think of some superbowl winning teams (Miami, Pats, etc..) that should never have even been there.

I truly understand your frustration with some of the decisions Childress is making.
    It has been said before that winning is the great equalizer.
    If Childress was coming off from a winning season he would have a lot less critics.
    Unfortunately we would have the opposite problem then, and all the true homers would be worshiping his every move.

I just don't think that a coach's first season, especially one in which so much change took place, is a justifiable basis for judging him.
    I think this season will be a much better test of his ability because he won't have the crutch of installing both a new offense and new defense to fall back on, nor will he be judged in light of his biggest offensive player self destructing.
    That is why I end up constantly defending him.
    Not because I think he is the next Bud Grant, but because I don't think we can know one way or the other.

Let him run the offseason the way he sees fit.
    If it doesn't produce results in the regular season (his second until the new scheme), then we are justified in calling him an idiot.
    Until then...

I can understand some of your points.. The season before last when Tice was the HC, he didn't have the financial support of his owner like Childress had in his first year.. Tice didn't have the luxury of having a coaching staff like Childress did.. Tice also didn't have the luxury of having his boss give him a open checkbook when it came time to FA, and the draft..

That last year of Tice, we were 9-7 with a decent team.. Childress comes in last season and he has a open checkbook to sign FA's.. We go out and get Steve
    Hutchinson, Tony Richardson, Chester Taylor, Ryan Longwell, Dwight Smith, and Tank Williams to name a few.. Now with that added with the players we already had, we should have at least finished at 9-7 again..

I am so sick of everyone saying that it was his first year as a HC.. That is total B.S. Sean Payton went out in his first season, with imo, a less talented team then we had.. He not only wins his division, and HC of the year, but goes to the NFC Championship game all in his first year.. There are absolutely no excuses for the season that we had.. We had every chance to get Drew Brees last year as well, just as good of a chance as any other team.. Now that lies on the shoulders of Brad Childress.. Point being, we took a huge step backwards when we should have stayed the same, or took a step forward..
    I guess we'd all love if Childress had taken us to the playoffs and had a successful season like they did in NO. But just because he didn't do that it doesn't mean that we should throw him in the trash just yet.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Need To Shake Things Up and Reconnect W/ Fan Base

"cogitans" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    [Its getting very old to see them go out and get star players, just to finish the season with a losing record.. Now, they aren't even going out to get players that can possibly help us win..
    Big name players don't automatically translate into wins.
    If they did, then Oakland and Washington would be in the superbowl every year.

On the same note, players without as much name recognition do not automatically translate into loses.
    If they did, then I can think of some superbowl winning teams (Miami, Pats, etc..) that should never have even been there.

I truly understand your frustration with some of the decisions Childress is making.
    It has been said before that winning is the great equalizer.
    If Childress was coming off from a winning season he would have a lot less critics.
    Unfortunately we would have the opposite problem then, and all the true homers would be worshiping his every move.

I just don't think that a coach's first season, especially one in which so much change took place, is a justifiable basis for judging him.
    I think this season will be a much better test of his ability because he won't have the crutch of installing both a new offense and new defense to fall back on, nor will he be judged in light of his biggest offensive player self destructing.
    That is why I end up constantly defending him.
    Not because I think he is the next Bud Grant, but because I don't think we can know one way or the other.

Let him run the offseason the way he sees fit.
    If it doesn't produce results in the regular season (his second until the new scheme), then we are justified in calling him an idiot.
    Until then...

I can understand some of your points.. The season before last when Tice was the HC, he didn't have the financial support of his owner like Childress had in his first year.. Tice didn't have the luxury of having a coaching staff like Childress did.. Tice also didn't have the luxury of having his boss give him a open checkbook when it came time to FA, and the draft..

That last year of Tice, we were 9-7 with a decent team.. Childress comes in last season and he has a open checkbook to sign FA's.. We go out and get Steve
    Hutchinson, Tony Richardson, Chester Taylor, Ryan Longwell, Dwight Smith, and Tank Williams to name a few.. Now with that added with the players we already had, we should have at least finished at 9-7 again..

I am so sick of everyone saying that it was his first year as a HC.. That is total B.S. Sean Payton went out in his first season, with imo, a less talented team then we had.. He not only wins his division, and HC of the year, but goes to the NFC Championship game all in his first year.. There are absolutely no excuses for the season that we had.. We had every chance to get Drew Brees last year as well, just as good of a chance as any other team.. Now that lies on the shoulders of Brad Childress.. Point being, we took a huge step backwards when we should have stayed the same, or took a step forward..
    I guess we'd all love if Childress had taken us to the playoffs and had a successful season like they did in NO. But just because he didn't do that it doesn't mean that we should throw him in the trash just yet.
    [This is a continuing though not directed personally at you]

Maybe not, but getting beat by the Packers TWICE last year when they had an inbred,aging QB, two rookies on the O.L vs our 100 million dollar line,a new kicker because we hired theirs away from them, no number 1 WR because he bolted to Denver and a team we all thought before the season was maybe among the least talented in the league in a decade I think his leash is going to be damn short. >

If you compare the job Childress did with the job McCarthy did (remember how hard it was to fill the job in GB because nobody wanted it?) you have to wonder what kind of talent he really needs to win.
    :-\

And this whole thing about Childress installing a new offense and having to find players who fit it, Am I wrong or was the WCO developed to be a flexible offense that could be adapted to take advantage of the strengths of different players and the weaknesses of different defenses? ??? During the dynasty of the 49ers with that offense they could go from the drop back Montana to the scrambling southpaw Steve Young
    and could rotate offensive linemen in and out through the season and through the years without a hiccup. They had several different WR's and also different TE's. If you listen to Bill Walsh talk about the WCO (Which is like KAO lite) he talks about the flexibility and adaptability of the offense and to me if that is the case we should not have such a hard time finding the talent to run it. ;D

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678