Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Rhodes is a big step forward. The whole defense evolves a bit with a CB that is tall, physical, and can play press coverage.
    How great will it be to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man. We're not used to seeing that on this team. Cook can't cover.
    Facing NFLN quarterbacks and receivers will be easier with Rhodes at corner and Smith over the top.
    The problem is going to be the nickel CB, and that's Robinson. The slot CB is one of the most difficult positions in football. Not sure why the Vikings think they can convert Robinson into a nickel corner. Frankly, for all his speed, he wasn't very good at outside CB.
    Nickel could be a weakness with a pedestrian MLB and nickel corner.
    Rhodes is only a big step forward if he pans out. It would be great to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man, but lets find out if that's what we have before letting go of one of our better players.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    They don't have the cap space or roster space to keep every vet until they have a fully developed replacement behind them and neither does anyone else. The Packers might have been close for a few years but it is cyclical and in a few years once the salaries of Matthews and Rodgers take hold they will be in the same boat as everyone else.

Look, we finally have stability in the ownership that we haven't had since the 80's and they got their new stadium which has been a focus for the team since the 70's except the first maybe 5 years or so of the dome so hopefully they got all of that crap out of the way and can focus on building the team again.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Rhodes is a big step forward. The whole defense evolves a bit with a CB that is tall, physical, and can play press coverage.
    How great will it be to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man. We're not used to seeing that on this team. Cook can't cover.
    Facing NFLN quarterbacks and receivers will be easier with Rhodes at corner and Smith over the top.
    The problem is going to be the nickel CB, and that's Robinson. The slot CB is one of the most difficult positions in football. Not sure why the Vikings think they can convert Robinson into a nickel corner. Frankly, for all his speed, he wasn't very good at outside CB.
    Nickel could be a weakness with a pedestrian MLB and nickel corner.
    Agreed, that this is our biggest concern (nickel/mlb) on defense this year. The staff knows it and continues to look for options, but it will no doubt be a point of concern throughout the year.

I also have my doubts that Robinson can be converted into a nickel back and was hoping this guy Lacey that they brought in could be a solid player at this position. I think he has been struggling with injuries so haven't heard much of him yet.
    Last edited by tastywaves; 06-21-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

Vikings need Rhodes to turn the corner quickly

I HOPE they've found an answer in Rhodes & Robinson. A very tough passing division indeed. God bless Antoine unless he plays us. Just plain wrong to let him go
    None

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Agreed, that this is our biggest concern (nickel/mlb) on defense this year. The staff knows it and continues to look for options, but it will no doubt be a point of concern throughout the year.

I also have my doubts that Robinson can be converted into a nickel back and was hoping this guy Lacey that they brought in could be a solid player at this position. I think he has been struggling with injuries so haven't heard much of him yet.
    There is also a concern at safety. The play of the second safety, mostly Sanford, though improved, was woeful in coverage.

"The pair appeared to struggle in coverage overall, allowing opposing quarterbacks to covert three of every five passes (21-of-35) for five touchdowns and a 127.9 average QB rating."

Vikings' Jamarca Sanford facing plenty of competition at strong safety | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

I'm hoping Blanton or someone can step up and cover better, as well as occasionally intercept the ball. Though Sanford showed a lot of improvement last year, his play isn't good enough!
    Last edited by smegmavike; 06-23-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings need Rhodes to turn the corner quickly

There will always be concern at a few positions. There is no way to have premier talent at every position. The key is to develop a core of premier players and surround them with role players who can play at a basic level of competence. That is all we need from the second Safety and the nickel corner.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    There will always be concern at a few positions. There is no way to have premier talent at every position. The key is to develop a core of premier players and surround them with role players who can play at a basic level of competence. That is all we need from the second Safety and the nickel corner.
    I think the question is around the "basic level of competence" measuring stick. Not sure smegma believes we have that in our nickel, mlb or second safety position.

Personally, I'm less concerned about Sanford/safety and mostly have questions at nickel and middle. Safety was our biggest weakness going into the season last year and Harrison completely changed that around. Sanford as smegma points out, came a long ways from the year before which was a nice surprise. The FO gave him a $2.5M/yr contract so I think they feel pretty confident in him and Blanton is still out there and possibly a good 3rd option. Raymond digressed greatly last year and was a real liability when he came back, but he wasn't that bad in 2011. He will have a short rope this year.

I think we have some options at nickel that may very well work out to the "basic level of competence" (Lacey, Robinson and yes even AJ), but not so sure about MLB. We are a long ways from the start of the season so I'll sit back and see how it unfolds.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Keep in mind we changed DB's, not our "bend but don't break" antiquated defensive scheme. Now all we need is someone to pick up all the tackles & run stuffing that Winfield provided against the run.
    I think you missed the guy who lead us in Tackles all the time was a LB, not a DB and Whinny really wasn't that great all the time...

87 T 2012
    36 T 2011
    77 T 2010
    48 T 2009
    67 T 2008

Heck Harrison Smith, who sucked at run coverage this year was 3rd with 80 tackles and he could defend the pass, which Whinny couldn't. Were's your love for that guy?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think the question is around the "basic level of competence" measuring stick. Not sure smegma believes we have that in our nickel, mlb or second safety position.

Personally, I'm less concerned about Sanford/safety and mostly have questions at nickel and middle. Safety was our biggest weakness going into the season last year and Harrison completely changed that around. Sanford as smegma points out, came a long ways from the year before which was a nice surprise. The FO gave him a $2.5M/yr contract so I think they feel pretty confident in him and Blanton is still out there and possibly a good 3rd option. Raymond digressed greatly last year and was a real liability when he came back, but he wasn't that bad in 2011. He will have a short rope this year.

I think we have some options at nickel that may very well work out to the "basic level of competence" (Lacey, Robinson and yes even AJ), but not so sure about MLB. We are a long ways from the start of the season so I'll sit back and see how it unfolds.
    All we need to do is get Ponder to play as consistently as you and Mountainman do when it comes to great posts.

Top shelf my friend. Top shelf indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

There is also a concern at safety. The play of the second safety, mostly Sanford, though improved, was woeful in coverage.

"The pair appeared to struggle in coverage overall, allowing opposing quarterbacks to covert three of every five passes (21-of-35) for five touchdowns and a 127.9 average QB rating."

Vikings' Jamarca Sanford facing plenty of competition at strong safety | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

I'm hoping Blanton or someone can step up and cover better, as well as occasionally intercept the ball. Though Sanford showed a lot of improvement last year, his play isn't good enough!
    When you have a SS grade out 24th Overall/26th vs run/14th vs rush/38th in coverage out of 88 S's you don't have an issue at S.

What you have is a bunch of yutz fans and reporters who don't have a clue what the role of a SS is and how great a role that plays in the ability of your FS to look great in pass coverage.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast