Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    holly shit! Singer and i agree on something for once....lmao
    i would like to say though, i think we are going to play a much more aggresive type of D this year, especially with the D backfield.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    They ran that antiquated bend but don't break scheme to compensate for Winfield's inability to match up with the WR's in press coverage.
    No they didn't.

They ran that antiquated bend but don't break scheme because that's what they chose to run & they ran it a long time before Winfield ever slowed down.
    That was the coaching staffs of the past. This coach has stated he wants more press coverage and they didn't draft the guy last year that could have given them that luxury but this year they did and I anticipate seeing them making those changes now that the pieces are in place.

I also don't think we will se much of a drop off in tackling compared to Winfield once he gets his feet under him. I really like this kid.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    That was the coaching staffs of the past. This coach has stated he wants more press coverage and they didn't draft the guy last year that could have given them that luxury but this year they did and I anticipate seeing them making those changes now that the pieces are in place.

I also don't think we will se much of a drop off in tackling compared to Winfield once he gets his feet under him. I really like this kid.
    Yes, this coaching staff has said for the last few years that they would like to play more press coverage and more man, but haven't felt comfortable enough with the DB's to do more of it.

If Rhodes can be the guy they expect and Cook can stay on the field and be the good version of himself, then I think we will see more man coverage played with this defense. I think this unit will show improved play over last year, even without Winfield on the roster.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I like him too. I just don't want to see us take a step back at yet another position due to lose a key player.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Keeping a 35 year old guy on the roster and not drafting a replacement is going backwards. This is a step towards the future.
    And I am pretty sure we will recover from losing Jenkins as hard as it might be to imagine.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Keeping a 35 year old guy on the roster and not drafting a replacement is going backwards. This is a step towards the future.
    And I am pretty sure we will recover from losing Jenkins as hard as it might be to imagine.
    I think they are taking a step back, so they can take two steps forward. Still I think they could have kept Winfield, and drafted his replacement, skipping the step backwards.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I think they are taking a step back, so they can take two steps forward. Still I think they could have kept Winfield, and drafted his replacement, skipping the step backwards.
    It would have been difficult to keep Winfield and stay within the cap. If the Vikings had kept him, they likely would not have had the cap space to sign Greg Jennings and resign Phil Loadholt.

Jared Allen's contract is like an anchor dragging the Vikings down to Davey Jones's cap space locker. If Allen was not over-paid, Winfield would likely still be with the Vikings with a restructured year.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Rhodes is a big step forward. The whole defense evolves a bit with a CB that is tall, physical, and can play press coverage.
    How great will it be to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man. We're not used to seeing that on this team. Cook can't cover.
    Facing NFLN quarterbacks and receivers will be easier with Rhodes at corner and Smith over the top.
    The problem is going to be the nickel CB, and that's Robinson. The slot CB is one of the most difficult positions in football. Not sure why the Vikings think they can convert Robinson into a nickel corner. Frankly, for all his speed, he wasn't very good at outside CB.
    Nickel could be a weakness with a pedestrian MLB and nickel corner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Rhodes is a big step forward. The whole defense evolves a bit with a CB that is tall, physical, and can play press coverage.
    How great will it be to have a guy that can disrupt and reroute receivers, and cover them man to man. We're not used to seeing that on this team. Cook can't cover.
    Facing NFLN quarterbacks and receivers will be easier with Rhodes at corner and Smith over the top.
    The problem is going to be the nickel CB, and that's Robinson. The slot CB is one of the most difficult positions in football. Not sure why the Vikings think they can convert Robinson into a nickel corner. Frankly, for all his speed, he wasn't very good at outside CB.
    Nickel could be a weakness with a pedestrian MLB and nickel corner.
    Just bumped you up a notch on the old spreadsheet.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Bingo!

Rhodes isn't a sure thing. While teams like GB seem to usually make sure they have a player that will make the grade in place, the Vikings seem to get rid of the vet & then try & replace them with an unproven player.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast