singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings need a plan, not a prayer

[size=13pt]Jim Souhan: Wolves, Vikings need a plan, not a prayer[/size]

If you were to assess the local pro sports scene in one sentence it would be: Having a plan is good.

By Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 21, 2007 – 8:05 PM

Unfortunately for the Wolves and Vikings, hope is not a plan............

Taylor -- once considered a franchise savior who would make Minnesota a better place by buying the Twins or Vikings -- deserves all of the blame now, for having no plan.

This is the Vikings' problem, as well. Owner Zygi Wilf's decisions -- firing Mike Tice and hiring Brad Childress, Fran Foley and Rick Spielman -- were the result of his lack of a guiding philosophy.

Wilf's standard for hiring someone apparently is, "He said what I wanted to hear."

Wilf commissioned a lengthy "Code of Conduct" that nobody will ever read, and his dealings with local officials in his search for a stadium has followed no logical or productive pattern..........

.......The Vikings and the Timberwolves don't seem to have any plans -- unless their real goals are franchise relocation.........

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on AM-1500 KSTP. • jsouhan@startribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings need a plan, not a prayer

Has he had his head in the sand, or does he just choose to ignore the plan that had been iterated over and over again?
    Apparently he thinks that keeping Tice around and letting the Vikings have boat parties would have been a better plan than bringing in someone who would actually act like a coach and build a winning team.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BritishVike is offline Rookie

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Has he had his head in the sand, or does he just choose to ignore the plan that had been iterated over and over again?
    Apparently he thinks that keeping Tice around and letting the Vikings have boat parties would have been a better plan than bringing in someone who would actually act like a coach and build a winning team.
    I agree, yeah we're not a superbowl calibur team yet, but these things take time...this guys a numb nuts!!

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Awe, he's just got his undies in a knot because new ownership & coaching isn't as open as the old.

However, I can sympathize because we were heading down a road with Tice that never got materialized (for better or worse), and here we go starting all over again.

I sometimes live in the past and wonder . . . what if . . . we got the defense that Tice was ready to put in place with our old offense.. Oh, well . . . we can dream until something new replaces those old thoughts!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I hate these freakin writers.

At least Sid said something positive the other day.

Holy crap...I didn't think I would ever say that.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    The problem I see with the long term plan is that it is incresingly difficult to maintain good players on a roster for a long period of time.

By the time you get a rookie or FA player accustomed to your offensive & defensive schemes & he's playing at a caliber you like, you end up losing them to FA because another team is willing to pay bigger bucks for him.

It's especially true when rookies become FA after 3 years or due to 1, 2 & 3 year signings.

The days of players sticking with a team for their entire career are over, except for a few of the dying breed.

The trick, IMO, is to have a bunch of up & coming not so well known players all pan out at about the same time, coupled with a few great seasoned veterans that play well together as a team.

IMO, this is exactly what Chilly is trying to do.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The problem I see with the long term plan is that it is incresingly difficult to maintain good players on a roster for a long period of time.

By the time you get a rookie or FA player accustomed to your offensive & defensive schemes & he's playing at a caliber you like, you end up losing them to FA because another team is willing to pay bigger bucks for him.

It's especially true when rookies become FA after 3 years or due to 1, 2 & 3 year signings.

The days of players sticking with a team for their entire career are over, except for a few of the dying breed.

The trick, IMO, is to have a bunch of up & coming not so well known players all pan out at about the same time, coupled with a few seasoned veterans that play together as a team.

IMO, this is exactly what Chilly is trying to do.
    The trick, IMO , is to have some key players who can't be stopped in addition to the up and coming players you mention.

When opposing coaches describe one of the Vikings as someone who can't be stopped but can hopefully be contained; then we have something.

We describe a lot of opposing players that way.

We have had those kind of players in the past. eg. Page,Eller, Millard, Tarkenton, Foreman, Smith, Jordan, A.C., C.C. , Gilliam, Blair, Moss, etc., etc., etc..

We NEED that NOW!

The current players that would make an outstanding difference if they could elevate their game to that level would be : Tarvaris Jackson, E. J. Henderson at ML., James at DE, Cook at RT, Schiancoe at TE, and a wide receiver picked up in the draft. There are at least a half dozen wide receivers with the potential to be special in this draft.If we don't get one I will be more than puzzled.

The O-line also needs to get it together in order to win.

But adding a pass rush, Pass protection,
    receivers that can get open and catch, and better special teams coverage would vault this team into a contender.

Too much to ask for?

Not in my humble opinion!

" Why not win? Losing sucks! " jargomcfargo

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

i hate Souhan he never writes anything that i like, he's always negative and bashes the MN teams

Thanks josdin00

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"tb04512" wrote:
    i hate Souhan he never writes anything that i like, he's always negative and bashes the MN teams
    I agree. He's pathetic. He'd probably move to Green Bay or Chicago but he doesn't make enough money for a bus ticket!

He's my least favorite as well.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tclawmen is offline Starter

I like Souhan, at least he is not afraid to call it like it is. All Sid Hartman ever does is polish the Knob of every team owner and its front office. Granted, Souhan may get a bit agressive in his articles but he wont kiss the butt just to get a quote.