Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    129

    The Vikings need to get smarter....

    I like how ZYGI is at least TRYING to win...I give him credit - he is spending
    some money to try to improve the team.

    It's not working. The vanilla offense is predictable and the players are not
    performing up to standards. The offensive line is a joke. The running backs
    are mediocre and the receivers can't catch. The QB is not taking us anywhere....
    why not give Jackson a shot? At the very least we will find out if we need to draft
    another one with our #1 pick which should be in the top 10 next year.

    How can the Vikings pass up Marion Barber, who managed to go in the 4th round,
    and Lawrence Maroney this year? It isn't like we never saw them......both would
    really help an offense badly in need of playmakers. You can't just keep
    pounding Taylor up the middle 25 times a game, then passing on 3rd down because
    it is now 3rd and 7. Use your imagination and open it up a bit!!! Or can you?

    We traded Randy Moss, the best WR in the game.........for a guy who can't catch.
    (At least we got a decent LB out of it!)
    At least Williamson is fast!!!! If he keeps this up - he will be running out of town next year!

    How about the stupid draft the Vikings had last year, especially in the second round?
    Do they know what they are doing???? Doesn't look like it to me. We have gone
    from one of the most explosive offenses in the league averaging 30 points a game
    to one that puts up 10 a week........that is if the defense can run an interception back.

    If you thought the fan response was bad after the last few losses, wait until you see what happens if the Vikings lose to the Cardinals this week. It isn't going to be
    pretty.

    I am not asking to go 16-0, or a Super Bowl,
    but how about for starters we
    just get smarter. How can we get so lousy so fast??? Not happy here at all.
    You have to give Childress more time, but so far he gets an F from me.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

  2. #2
    Braddock's Avatar
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    1,630

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    1.) you're stupid
    2.) our draft was pretty good, and we are smart, we just need t not shoot ourselves in the foot.
    3.) Troy is having a sophomore slump. next year, w/ TJack getting him the ball, you'll all be singing his praises.
    4.) Childress will be a great coach. Every coach starts off rough his first year, most notably Bud Grant.
    5.) POST THIS IN AN ALREADY ACTIVE THREAD. I believe there is rough 34329 of them already, find one
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

  3. #3
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    I agree with some of the things you said, but I disagree with some as well.

    First of all, I think most of the money that Zygi has spent has turned out well. IMO, all of our free agent signings have been good since Zygi got here. Think of it...Sharper, Chester Taylor, Leber, Hutchinson, Dwight Smith, Tank Williams (although we haven't seen him play), etc. I don't think Zygi is at fault for any of it.

    The offense is vanilla, but I think that has a lot to do with talent. Our receivers aren't getting open, our o-line isn't blocking and our quarterback hasnt' been getting it done. You can't exactly open it up when things are going badly with the basic stuff.

    Second...the o-line has talented players but is playing HORRIBLY, so I agree with that.

    The running backs are not mediocre, IMO. Two of the only bright spots we've had are Chester and MeMo. Chester has been a workhorse all year and has played tremendously (he's 7th in rushing), even though the o-line HAS played badly. MeMo has also been a great help. He's made some awesome plays (like the one for the first down in the Chicago game) and he's made a huge impact on special teams as well.

    We've had a lot of debate on the site about Jackson starting over Brooks. The fact is, no one knows how far along developmentally Tarvaris is other than Childress. That fact coupled with his knee injury which may or may not be healed completely makes it doubtful we'll see him until the last 2 or 3 games, if at all.

    We do need playmakers, that is for sure. I think when Childress was drafting this year he was expecting to have K-Rob on the team and he was expecting to have last year's Brad Johnson, of which he got neither. The draft needs to be focused on receivers this year, IMO.

    Moss was traded BEFORE Zygi took over. It was one of good old Red's last moves.

    Don't diss the draft just yet. We have no idea how it will turn out. People were dissing the Jackson pick and now they're groveling at his feet. We haven't seen Ryan Cook play yet, which I think we'll see him at RT next year and Cedric Griffin is playing great defense right now. I'd say it has turned out pretty well so far.

    Things haven't gone our way, and we've been in every game. Childress's playcalling and personnel, even WITH the mountain of problems we've had, have had us in nearly every game. We just haven't made the plays. Things will get better, but I'm happy with the moves that have been made in the last year. I think it will all pan out in a year or so.

    Have patience.


  4. #4
    Gift's Avatar
    Gift is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    811

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    "Braddock" wrote:
    1.) you're stupid
    I'm no mod but this seems a little un-called for.
    He is allowed an opinion & just because you dont agree doesnt make him stupid.

    "Braddock" wrote:
    2.) our draft was pretty good, and we are smart, we just need t not shoot ourselves in the foot.
    You can't say our draft was good or bad, time decides that.

    "Braddock" wrote:
    3.) Troy is having a sophomore slump. next year, w/ TJack getting him the ball, you'll all be singing his praises.
    Troy is a bum til he proves otherwise.
    In my "stupid" opinion of course.

    "Braddock" wrote:
    4.) Childress will be a great coach. Every coach starts off rough his first year, most notably Bud Grant.
    A slump on your first year does not mean you will be great, bad coaches have bad first years aswell ya know.
    Time will tell.

    "Braddock" wrote:
    5.) POST THIS IN AN ALREADY ACTIVE THREAD. I believe there is rough 34329 of them already, find one
    You are not a mod either.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

  5. #5
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,065

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    "Braddock" wrote:
    1.) you're stupid
    2.) our draft was pretty good, and we are smart, we just need t not shoot ourselves in the foot.
    3.) Troy is having a sophomore slump. next year, w/ TJack getting him the ball, you'll all be singing his praises.
    4.) Childress will be a great coach. Every coach starts off rough his first year, most notably Bud Grant.
    5.) POST THIS IN AN ALREADY ACTIVE THREAD. I believe there is rough 34329 of them already, find one
    Ughh....

    Not to rain on your parade (believe me, I wish the same thing) but our rocket scientist with the headset on has his man crush on Johnson. So as long as BJ continues to "play" in purple, we won't see TJ unless its pre-season.

    That or maybe if Ziglet steps in and is like "Major WTF Bradley?"

    But I doubt that.

  6. #6
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    "baumy300" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    1.) you're stupid
    2.) our draft was pretty good, and we are smart, we just need t not shoot ourselves in the foot.
    3.) Troy is having a sophomore slump. next year, w/ TJack getting him the ball, you'll all be singing his praises.
    4.) Childress will be a great coach. Every coach starts off rough his first year, most notably Bud Grant.
    5.) POST THIS IN AN ALREADY ACTIVE THREAD. I believe there is rough 34329 of them already, find one
    Ughh....

    Not to rain on your parade (believe me, I wish the same thing) but our rocket scientist with the headset on has his man crush on Johnson. So as long as BJ continues to "play" in purple, we won't see TJ unless its pre-season.
    That or maybe if Ziglet steps in and is like "Major WTF Bradley?"

    But I doubt that.
    It has been addressed in many threads & many posts that T-Jack is not ready to take over the reins & T-Jack himself has said he is fine with that & despite a nice preseason, he knows it was against 2nd & 3rd stringers & the regular season is a whole different level of play.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #7
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    Nothing makes my day more than a thread that scratches the surface on topics that have been discussed in detail, with the possible exception of listening to Kornholio and Joey Sunshine slaughter the commentating of a game.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    129

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    Well, glad to make your day at least.

    To me, it is a matter of being smart and making the right moves.
    The points I threw out there may have been discussed before, but it
    all adds up to one mistake after another after another.

    The "smart" well-run organizations have a much better track record than
    ones that do not know what they are doing. This is how the New England
    Patriots can keep enjoying success year after year while the Detroit Lions
    are horrible, even though their draft picks are a lot higher.

    Sorry, but the Vikings are not one of the smart organizations and until
    they do, they will keep "enjoying" seasons like this one.

    ....sure hope they make their draft pick on time next year.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

  9. #9
    jackyl's Avatar
    jackyl is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,662

    Re: The Vikings need to get smarter....

    "Braddock" wrote:
    1.) you're stupid
    that's enough of that.

Similar Threads

  1. Smarter than Tebow? Take the Wonderlic...
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM
  2. Are you smarter than a 10 year old?
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
  3. Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
  4. Apparently children are smarter than politicians...
    By NodakPaul in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 02:58 PM
  5. Minnesotans proved smarter
    By Webby in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2002, 04:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •