singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings need to cut down on penalties, turnovers to improve

Vikings need to cut down on penalties, turnovers to improve

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 20, 2005 at 8:44 PM

Rich Olson, the Vikings quarterback coach, has spent time with five NFL teams -- Seattle, Washington, Arizona, San Francisco and Minnesota.

He has been a coach for 30 years, but he never has seen a team turn the ball over and make mistakes the way the Vikings have.

"Not to this extent," Olson said. "We've just got to start making plays on offense and quit shooting ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties. It's killing us.

"I don't know how many touchdowns we've had called back because of a penalty here or there. Those kinds of things are hard to overcome in this league or any league."

Olson said he believes one reason Daunte Culpepper has not performed well is he expects so much from himself.

"He is trying to do too much," Olson said. "He's putting a lot of pressure on himself, and he's got to relax and not try and do everything himself. I think the players need to start doing the job consistently."

Olson likes receiver Troy Williamson and said he believes the rookie eventually can be a go-to guy for Culpepper.

"I think he took maybe a little step back last week when he dropped a couple balls, but he'll be fine," Olson said.

Olson said he believes the return of receiver Nate Burleson will be a plus for the offense this week.

"He's a go-to guy, playmaker, great run after the catch guy, so I think having him back will put a little more energy in the offense, too," Olson said. "He's a guy that Culpepper has confidence in to get open and yeah, I think we've missed him a little bit."

In the 34-31 loss to the Packers at Green Bay last year, Burleson caught 11 passes for 141 yards. Then he caught two for 110 yards in the Vikings' second loss to the Packers at the Metrodome by the same score. Burleson caught four passes for 60 yards in the playoff game at Green Bay won 31-17 by the Vikings.

So like Olson says, maybe Burleson can make a difference.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings need to cut down on penalties, turnovers to impr

"We've just got to start making plays on offense and quit shooting ourselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties. It's killing us."
    No duh Rich? There's a reason he's coached for 6 teams. The guy sux as a coach.

So like Olson says, maybe Burleson can make a difference
    We hope so too Rich. It sure don't look like you're making an improvement.

I still don't see Daunte & Brad talk to each other like they should. What's up with that? Certainly Brad must have some advice or input to help Daunte out.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Too many turnovers and penalties are our problem ? Gee... ya think ?!?!? :roll:

Actually, that is why I am optimistic. It is not talent level that is killing us, it is turnovers, penalties, and lack of the team "gelling".

I agree that C-pepper is trying too hard. I also think that given time, the offensive line will gel, and the defense will gel. I think we fans forget that you can't have instant success. Americans want instant everything, including instant success. It just doesn't work that way. Sometimes, you have to lay the foundation. I think that the upside is good: players who communicate to each other on the field, and off.line that blocks as a unit, and defense that makes tackles and gets pressure, and team-tackling. In time, it will come. In time, we will improve.

I still think coaching is a long-term "issue" and that the "Tice Way", which is being a "player's coach" is not working. I would love to see Jim Fassel as head coach next year.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

No duh Rich? There's a reason he's coached for 6 teams. The guy sux as a coach.
    So like Olson says, maybe Burleson can make a difference

We hope so too Rich. It sure don't look like you're making an improvement.

hahaha don't be so hard on Rich haha!

Thanks Lotzapurple119 for the new sig.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings need to cut down on penalties, turnovers to improve

About half(?) of DC INTs have been tipped balls. I am not sure if half is accurate, but it sure seems like a lot.

I haven't seen DC look off defenders or double pump this year as much as in the past. He is not as comfortable in the offense and the positions he has been in.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Vikings need to cut down on penalties, turnovers to improve

"snowinapril" wrote:
    About half(?) of DC INTs have been tipped balls. I am not sure if half is accurate, but it sure seems like a lot.
    But, a lot of tipped balls are his fault too.

Any slant pass over the middle must be thrown at a downward angle. This prevents the pass from being tipped-up into a defensive players hands. If the WR does cannot haul it in but gets a hand on it, it will most likely fall to the ground. This is how QB's are taught to throw over the middle.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    But, a lot of tipped balls are his fault too.

Any slant pass over the middle must be thrown at a downward angle. This prevents the pass from being tipped-up into a defensive players hands. If the WR does cannot haul it in but gets a hand on it, it will most likely fall to the ground. This is how QB's are taught to throw over the middle.
    partially

it would definitely help if they were a little lower, i won't argue that.

penalties have been just as bad as TOs. i think that DC has felt the pressure of ? and long. we have converted a few ? and longs but it has been a drive killer.