Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings Need Cornerbacks In 2010

On paper, the Minnesota Vikings have a great group of cornerbacks.
    Antoine Winfield is a two-time Pro Bowler and widely regarded as the best run stopper at the corner position.
    Cedric Griffin has blossomed into a great player and will hold his position for many years on this team.
    The depth is also good with Benny Sapp and last year's rookie, Asher Allen.

... But the reality is that both of the starting cornerbacks, Winfield and Griffin, are huge question marks entering the 2010 season.

[ul]Griffin got a long-term leg injury in the NFC Championship and will most likely not be ready to play football when the season arrives.[/ul]
    [ul]Winfield struggled with a bad injury last season and the fact that he's entering his 12th season at the age of 32 is just making matters worse.[/ul]

Do you really want to start the season with a fragile 32 year old and Sapp/Allen at cornerbacks?
    I'm not hating on any of them, but I just don't feel very confident as the situation is right now.

I don't care if the Vikings do it through the draft or in free agency as long as they get someone to keep this team from taking a step back in the road to the Promised Land. The time is now!!

A little suggestion.
    One hour ago, I found out that the Chicago Bears cut Nathan Vasher, a 28 year old former Pro Bowler. He has been slowed down by injuries in his last seasons, but he's still fairly young and has shown that he can be an excellent corner in the past. I would love to see him play for the Vikings.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re:Vikings Need Cornerbacks In 2010

HEY, I'm with you...following your concern, and, thinking one of our first 3 picks should be a S or CB. Only one thing missing in your tee-up... you didn't mention Asher Allen; he should be a good player IMO, but, that too is a question mark.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

HEY
    Blog Entries

I also hope that we draft a defensive back on day one.

I did also mention Asher Allen, but the only thing I said is that he provides good depth. I have not seen him play enough to be confident that he can be a starter in the upcoming season. However, I like what I've seen. He had his ups-and-downs, but I pay more attention to his ups as every rookie corner will make a lot of mistakes. The difference between success and fail in every play as a corner are so little. Asher looked quick and showed good awareness. I also like his intensity and he reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

Back to the draft, this class of cornerbacks are perhaps the group that I have the least knowledge about. I have literally no idea who's good and who's not, therefore I have to go by what the "experts" says. The consensus seems to be that Joe Haden is by far the best corner in the draft. I would love to see the Vikings trade up if Joe Haden falls out of the top 20, but I doubt that will happen.

HEY
    Blog Entries

I also hope that we draft a defensive back on day one.

I did also mention Asher Allen, but the only thing I said is that he provides good depth. I have not seen him play enough to be confident that he can be a starter in the upcoming season. However, I like what I've seen. He had his ups-and-downs, but I pay more attention to his ups as every rookie corner will make a lot of mistakes. The difference between success and fail in every play as a corner are so little. Asher looked quick and showed good awareness. I also like his intensity and he reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

Back to the draft, this class of cornerbacks are perhaps the group that I have the least knowledge about. I have literally no idea who's good and who's not, therefore I have to go by what the "experts" says. The consensus seems to be that Joe Haden is by far the best corner in the draft. I would love to see the Vikings trade up if Joe Haden falls out of the top 20, but I doubt that will happen.

hoytlakesviking is offline Training Camp

i agree. our secondary had holes in it last season. i see this season worse if we dont upgrade it thru the free agency or the draft. i was shocked we nearly beat the super bowl champs -aints with our swiss cheese secondary.
    None

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

The secondary has always been are main weakness. CB is the highest on my list.

I would take a look at Vasher. Not sure why we are not looking at Bodden. Maybe Nick Harper, Ty Law, Ken Lucas, Ralph Brown, Townsend but the resigning of Sapp makes me believe we will hold off.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

If Mays makes it to us, we better damn take him.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

marstc09 wrote:
    The secondary has always been are main weakness. CB is the highest on my list.

I would take a look at Vasher. Not sure why we are not looking at Bodden. Maybe Nick Harper, Ty Law, Ken Lucas, Ralph Brown, Townsend but the resigning of Sapp makes me believe we will hold off.
    How many years have you been saying QB? About as many as I have been saying DT. :P

As to some of the discussion points.

a. Saftey. No way they draft a S this year. Like it or not, our issues at S aren't talent related, its experience related. Adding another young rook doesn't bring experience. Additionally, if they had concerns over the S position they would have addressed it last year instead of rolling with what they have.

b. CB.
    Sapp - Benny played better than Whinny did last year if for no other reason than he was healthy and reliable all year.

AA - Who said they hadn't seen enough reps out of AA. As with Benny, the dude stepped up and provided some very nice reps with very little drop off. Said it before, that double CB blitz they used with AA/Griff was a thing of beauty.

Griff - He isn't gonna be a viable option this year. That isn't to say he isn't gonna see the field at some point, but history has shown that although cats get back inside of a year from that injury, they are not 100% for 2 years.

Whinny - He's done. He's done. He's done. Can't stay healthy, can only help in run support. Huge liability in pass coverage. I look to see his reps dropped drastically about week 2 or 3 and thats if he does stay healthy that long.

Starters will look like this.

Base 4-3
    LCB - Whinny
    RCB - Benny/Asher (whoever looks best on that side)

Nickle
    LCB Benny/Asher
    RCB Benny/Asher
    Inside Whinny

As to adding depth. Already way to much money invested in this roster spot. Unless they outright cut Whinny, they won't bring in a top tier vet. Maybe they will bring in a cat like Benny late in the year, but I think ole Mars gets his wish and they go CB with thier first pick.

Rationale behind this is that they have already brought in a DT for a visit (Troup) that is slated to go late 2nd, early 3rd in the draft. I suspect they will have him targeted in the second and another DT targeted in the 3rd and 4th. As with PL last year, they will hold true to thier board and hope he gets to them in the second. If not, they will take a OLB in the second and then DT in the 3rd.

I currently have them taking Kareem Jackson, Alabama with the 30th pick followed by Troup.

Read & React: Good route recognition. Reads the body lean of his opponent and has the athleticism to react accordingly. He anticipates the path of the ball and extends to reach around a receiver to break up passes. Reads run quickly and attacks the run on the perimeter.

Man Coverage: Good bump-and-run corner. Provides a good, physical pop at the line of scrimmage and keeps his hand on the receiver downfield to control. Good use of body to push the receiver outside, using the sideline to help cut off the space in which the quarterback can throw the ball. Allows too much separation on deep routes and has stiffness in his hips when suddenly changing direction. Face guards at this level, but won't be allowed to do so in the NFL.

Zone Coverage: Good awareness for zone coverage. A bit high in his backpedal and has some stiffness in his hips, but trusts his eyes and locates the football quickly. Savvy, physical player. Likes to use his hands to re-route the receiver. Has quick feet and a good burst out of his breaks to close.

Closing/Recovery: Lacks an elite second gear to recover if beaten initially, but has an impressive burst downhill to close on the ball. Plants his foot and drives, showing good body control to adjust around the receiver and get his hands on the ball. Times his leaps well and has an explosive vertical. Good hand-eye coordination and ball skills to extend and pluck outside of his frame.

Run Support: Aggressive to the line of scrimmage to help against the run, protecting the edge and forcing the back to cut back inside. Fights through the receiver's block and has the agility to elude bigger blockers in tight quarters. Good vision and effort to cut through the trash in pursuit. Takes good angles in pursuit.

Tackling: Strong wrap-up tackler. Brings his hips through and can be a big hitter on the boundary. Willing to face up bigger ballcarriers. Will lead with his shoulder when he sees the receiver in a vulnerable position. Good strength for the drag-down tackle when trailing the receiver across the middle.

Intangibles: Highly competitive player that puts in time in the film room. Asked for his grade from the NFL Advisory Committee, but didn't read it upon receiving it. Jackson gave the unopened envelope to Nick Saban to hold until after the BCS National Championship game so that the contents wouldn't be a distraction.

CBS Sports Scouting Report Kareem Jackson

Still not done with round 3 yet cause I have to go back and fix what the Seachickens trade messed up but a couple of QB's look to be the BPA type of guy (LaFevour/Skelton). Skelton will probably get the knod.

Only thing that will stop me from doing that is if I find more on Hiller. They have already been down to see him once.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

When ever Allen came in to play he did pretty solid. I remember that strip/sack he had on Rapeslisburger
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro, solid post my friend. I tend to agree with it. As much as I would love Mays in the first round (I doubt him making it to us, but its possible), might want to look for linebacker or oline then. The thing with Mays is that he starts and that is what you want out of your first round pick.

I still think we need some depth at the position just until Griffin is back (if he can come back). Maybe not until the later rounds, but it is necessary.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast