Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings need all help they can get

If our effort is as bad as the Falcon players say, some heads need to roll. Players quiting on any play is not acceptable, and if the effort isn't there, we'd better find players that want to play hard and will not quit no matter what the situation is.
    It is one thing to lose, but seeing a team play as soft as we have it's very hard to watch. Who's gonna step up? Rhome and Foge can only help. Skol.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

yah the effort thing is very dangerous for us. we got our butts handed to us throughout the entire game. i definately was questioning our effort when we let the backup QB run for over a hundred yards. if our players quit a quarter of the season through i don't want the one that quit on us, i don't care about their creditianals or anything!

Thanks Josdin

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I say we try anything by now.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

They definitely need a great motivational speech!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mnvikes61" wrote:
    yah the effort thing is very dangerous for us. we got our butts handed to us throughout the entire game. i definately was questioning our effort when we let the backup QB run for over a hundred yards. if our players quit a quarter of the season through i don't want the one that quit on us, i don't care about their creditianals or anything!
    Remember when Denny came in and cleaned house of all the so-called slackers? They even had a TV commercial about it. I still remember "Vikings front office, how may I help you? Joey Browner? He doesn't work here anymore" or something like that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

F loney... he never should have been promoted to OC. Red's cheapness is still effecting our team. next year we will see two things most likely. a new coach and a new fulltime oc.

i hope signing extra coaching staff will help us. if we don't win the bears game, the chances of us getting our shite together and winning the division is less than 10%. and we should just use this year as a rebuilding year.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    F loney... he never should have been promoted to OC. Red's cheapness is still effecting our team. next year we will see two things most likely. a new coach and a new fulltime oc.

i hope signing extra coaching staff will help us. if we don't win the bears game, the chances of us getting our shite together and winning the division is less than 10%. and we should just use this year as a rebuilding year.
    I noticed a title on the Dallas team yesterday, "Assistant Head Coach." Tice probably never thought he could hire someone to be his slacky. Like I said before, why didn't he think of asking Wilf for help before the season started. It was crazy to think they could do it like they were set up. Tice still had RED in his head.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I just went into a few of the team web sites, and it seems like we have about the same amount of coaches as anyother team.

19 seemed about the norm, I didn't check every team.

Dallas had 14 listed

Eagles had 21 listed

We have 17 listed.

You don't know how many consultants each team carries???

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

More on our help from the Tribune:
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5661857.html

New coaches looking to straighten Vikings out
    Associated Press
    October 11, 2005 VIKE1011

The Minnesota Vikings' horrendous start to the season has the team desperately looking for answers.

Coming out of the bye, and with three games against division foes in the next four weeks, the Vikings hope two familiar faces will help them figure out exactly what is going wrong.

Coach Mike Tice brought in old pals Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio as consultants, hoping a fresh set of eyes will shed some light on the team's 1-3 start.

Rhome will clearly hold a key place in the game-planning structure, helping offensive coordinator Steve Loney with the play-calling in hopes of jump-starting the Vikings' offense.

Fazio won't be as involved as Rhome, but will be heavily relied upon to help reduce mental mistakes that have led to big plays on the field.

"Whatever it takes to win,' linebacker Sam Cowart said of the additions. "Because whatever we were doing the first four games, we're 1-3, it wasn't working. ... We need the help.'

The Vikings' offense has been abysmal for most of the season, committing 15 turnovers and ranking 24th in total offense.

The injury plagued defense has not been any better despite significant additions in the offseason, ranking 30th in total defense and dead last in run defense.

The improvements will have to come quickly. The Vikings are getting ready for a string of three division games in four weeks, starting with a road trip to Chicago on Sunday.

"We certainly have a lot of work to do,' Tice said Monday. "We all have to do a better job, starting with me.'

The hiring of Rhome is the most significant because it will free up Loney to spend more time coaching the offensive line, which has been unable to open holes for the running backs or protect Daunte Culpepper.

Rhome and Tice go way back, to when Rhome coached Tice in Seattle when he entered the league as a rookie in 1981.

"We have been friends all through the years,' said Rhome, who was the receivers coach with the Vikings in 1994. "I have kind of been following the Vikings the last two years and rooting for them.'

Tice said Rhome will sit in the booth and Loney will remain on the sidelines to work with the offensive line on gameday. Rhome and Loney will collaborate with quarterbacks coach Rich Olson on the play-calling, and Tice will have final say before sending the play into Culpepper.

"It really just gives us another guy to help with the passing game,' Tice said.

Fazio was the defensive coordinator in Minnesota from 1995-99 and most recently ran the defense in Cleveland in 2003.

"If other opportunities came up, I wouldn't have gone,' Fazio said. "When Mike called, it is like your big brother called, or my little brother who is big. I said, 'I'll go up and see what they are talking about.' I have really enjoyed what I am doing.'

Rhome initially joined as a volunteer assistant so as not to jeopardize his NFL pension, while Fazio plans to hold more of a part-time role — similar to what Alex Gibbs does in Atlanta — that will allow him to fulfill broadcasting duties for college games on CBS radio.

Just how effective the two coaches will be remains to be seen. They've been thrust into a difficult situation — trying to catch on with terminology and the players' abilities in midseason.

"We added some consultants, but it boils down to players executing the game plan the coaches put in place,' linebacker Keith Newman said.

Neither Loney nor current defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell seemed threatened by the additions. Loney worked with Rhome on the Phoenix Cardinals' staff in 1993 and it was his idea to bring Rhome into the mix to help with the passing game.

And Fazio is not interested in returning to the sidelines full time.

For now, everyone is concerned with getting things straightened out and getting the Vikings back on track in the mediocre NFC North.

"Sometimes you have some low moments,' Rhome said. "It is what you do in those low moments that puts you back on top. We are going to find out what the Vikings are made of.'

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

so let me get this straight...these guys...are gonna actually like coach during games? I was under the impression they where gonna make adjustments to plays and such...but are they gonna coach in the games?

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast