Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings need all help they can get

"runtheball" wrote:
    Whose idea was it to bring in Rhome and Fazio? Wilf's or Tice's ? I first read about it online at Fox Sports and the way I read it there it was Wilf's idea to bring thses guys in.
    It was neither of the two. It was actually Loney who did the play calling on this one & suggested to Tice that he should call Rhome. It was on their flight home from the Atlanta game. (Read it in the 2nd post of this thread)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Viking Update article - Rhome likes what he sees.

"OldManVike" wrote:
    Rhome Quote:
    "I’ve just been here this one practice. It was very spirited," Rhome said. "I told Mike (Tice), it was a very spirited workout. That is not a 1-3 team practicing, and it’s not a 1-3 team that’s got its heads between their legs. That was kind of fun, I know they are competitors here because I have been watching them. The Vikings have that kind of history for being a competitive football team. I don’t think that there is any doubt in my mind that Mike is going to get this team turned around."
    Is this fluff or is it reality?

I want to believe it is real.

Skol Vikings Skol!

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Compliment before you criticize

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Viking Update article - Rhome likes what he sees.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "OldManVike" wrote:
    Rhome Quote:
    "I’ve just been here this one practice. It was very spirited," Rhome said. "I told Mike (Tice), it was a very spirited workout. That is not a 1-3 team practicing, and it’s not a 1-3 team that’s got its heads between their legs. That was kind of fun, I know they are competitors here because I have been watching them. The Vikings have that kind of history for being a competitive football team. I don’t think that there is any doubt in my mind that Mike is going to get this team turned around."
    Is this fluff or is it reality?

I want to believe it is real.

Skol Vikings Skol!
    It must be reality because "fluff" is what the girls do instead of farting! (See the "fart" thread) :lol:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

I am hoping these guys will help us turn it around.

One reason new Vikings owner Zygi Wilf agreed to add consultants Foge Fazio for the defense and Jerry Rhome for the offense is he believed the coaching staff needed more help. The staff is by far the lowest paid in the NFL.

"We found when we came in here that [former owner] Red McCombs left us kind of a ship that was somewhat unmanned," Wilf said. "We need to find the right people to help out and get this ship going in the right direction. And that's the reason why we're reaching out to two guys that have the confidence and the ability to help out in the coaching booth. I think that's very important that we do these things, and it came at the right time with the bye week. We hope that it improves our team.

"There are a lot of subtle little things that have to be done, and we're going to show the support."

Will Fazio and Rhome be here all year?
    Read:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5656107

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Nice reads.... good thread.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"That's left to be seen, but I'm looking that they will be," Wilf said. He added that former Vikings coach Bud Grant will be a part of a retreat next week where the owners, head coach Mike Tice, vice president Rob Brzezinski and others will meet to talk about improving the Vikings' situation.

"[Grant] will be addressing certain topics that are his expertise as it deals with team morale and team discipline, things that he's pretty good at," Wilf said. "He's been a consultant for me since the day I got in here. Yes, he is on the payroll. I keep on asking him for advice. So I felt it was necessary for him to be there."
    I am glad to see that Wilf is wearing a WWBGD bracelet. :smile:

WWBGD

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Wilf agrees to add coaches Rhome, Fazio to Tice staff

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has signed off on a plan to add longtime NFL coaches Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio to the staff, and barring an unexpected delay, the team will formalize agreements with both men in time for practice Monday.

Rhome and Fazio were scheduled to meet Friday with Wilf, and all that remains now is to resolve issues with their pensions. Coach Mike Tice plans to use Rhome as a de facto offensive coordinator for the remainder of the season, a role that likely will include play-calling and some responsibility for game planning.

Fazio would serve as a part-time defensive consultant, observing each game from the coaches booth and then meeting with coaches and players for two or three days during the week.

Offord, James fined

The NFL fined injured safety Willie Offord $15,000 for "impermissible physical contact with a game official" during the Vikings' Sept. 25 game against New Orleans.

According to an NFL spokesman, the incident occurred as Offord was pursuing a running play in the second quarter against the Saints. The spokesman said Offord "had a clear view and an unobstructed path and ran directly toward the game official and shoved him to the ground."

Later in that game, Offord suffered a season-ending injury to his left knee. Offord was not available for comment Friday but is expected to appeal the fine.

Meanwhile, the league also fined rookie defensive end Erasmus James $5,000 for hitting Atlanta running back Warrick Dunn out of bounds during last week's 30-10 loss to the Falcons.

Lineman added

The Vikings agreed to terms with defensive lineman Matt Mitrione after a workout Friday morning at Winter Park. Mitrione, one of the Vikings' final cuts this preseason, will take the roster spot of defensive end Kenechi Udeze.

Udeze is expected to be placed on injured reserve after undergoing microfracture surgery Wednesday on his left knee, a procedure that requires six to eight months of rehabilitation.

Plans finalized

Wilf will hold a retreat Monday and Tuesday for the Vikings' investor group at a conference center in Chaska. The agenda calls for mostly business issues on Monday and football-related matters on Tuesday, including a scheduled lunch with Tice.

The team's five vice presidents and former coach Bud Grant also will attend. Ownership representatives will include: Zygi, Mark and Lenny Wilf; Reggie Fowler; David Mandelbaum and his son, Richard, and Alan Landis and his son, Scott.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Wilf agrees to add coaches Rhome, Fazio to Tice staff

this is just a nice slap in the face to loney!
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

[size=18px]ESPN NFL Countdown, Sunday Morning, 10-9-05.[/size]

Well, I found a thread and stuck it here instead of starting a new one.

Things that were said:

Irvin said, he has seen a meeting like this before, Switzer did it right before he lost control of the team. He said that this type of meeting causes more fractions than unity.

Jackson said the same thing as Irvin but added this. He said if Tice had been building credibility up to this point, it might have worked, but he hasn't been building any.

Young said that it isn't good when the owner sits in on a QB meeting. He also said that he talked to some Falcon players this week and he got quotes from them as saying the Vikings were a pitiful group of players. The Falcons said the Vikes had a lack of effort through out the game. Coaches are not going to help if the Vikes players have given up.

Out of all the comments made, the lack of effort and pitiful stand out to me the most. If the Falcons players are comments are correct, our team has given up.

The only saving grace is the Division is still open. If they can pull it together and want to win the Division, they could get some momentum and start to come together again as a team, the coaches are not going to help turn this team around. I don't think even if Birk's (and others) lips are moving, I don't know if he believes it. He is trying to get the other to believe it, as the leader of the team, he should be trying that. Basically, Tice has no credibility and it all boils down to if the players have enough belief in themselves to turn it around.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast