Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: As Vikings near a North title, team approach is on hold

The only place I have really sean them change their team approach was with Allen. Personally I think Allen was a perfect fit and they were smart to get him(might not be a player of his age and talent available the next 5 years). His contract included a lot of money up front so his cap number going forward shouldn't be too bad(if I remember correctly).
    Berrian was a free agent so he wont effect the draft.
    The idea that a team doesn't want superstars seems a little silly to me. No player should ever become bigger or more important than the team but who doesn't want the best players on their team.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    You are the only one who thinks this guy is going to be anything. Even the Coaches pulled him. So what who expects? Me or the Coaches? We both seem to agree. Hmmm what does that say. He is garbage and I have a hard time believing he could be any good at Center plus we already have Birks replacement.

How much time do you think he should get? He has started 29 games at right tackle!!!!!!!!! Still he makes the same mistakes. Draft us an OT! They failed to do that last year and now they are paying for it just like at the QB position. Yet you keep defending this staff for their drafting. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
    Are you trying to tell me that he is playing the same way he played 29 games ago?

I will give you two points......

He is not consistent.
    I attribute that to coaching and not his talent level.
    He was taken to high.
    I attribute that to Dickhead Foley and how he messed that draft up.

Long story short, is he playing at the level of a NFL starting RT right now?
    No, but I still say that he will be.
    If not for this team, then for another.
    Do you see significant improvement? I don't. Judging by the benching, I think the coaching staff agrees. So now you are blaming coaching when you are the one always preaching execution.

ragz is offline GM

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    interesting, though i thought the article kinda ended lame when more evidence coulda been shown.
    but not only are we not getting much in quantity out of our drafts, but were not getting much contribution from the ones that are here.
    if the plan was to build through the draft then you have to make a sacrifice in games where youth might hurt you.
    this staff has not appeared to be willing to do so unless forced into it.
    first the qb decisions and then the use of that qb.
    then the continuous lack of playing time for some.
    rice, allison, mccauley, and then benchings of cook and jackson.
    then you factor in our later round picks that aren't even on the team and what have we gained.
    is this a matter of bad drafting, bad development, poor use of talent?
    who knows, but its not promising.
    I hear what your saying however, I am not I sure I totally agree with you on the "Playing Time" comment.

Clearly we have some young talent sitting on the bench, but at some point, a team gets to a area in their rebuilding process were talented kids are forced to sit on the bench because of the quality of player in front of them.

Rice is getting playing time now that he is healthy, AA gets some reps but now that Rice is back seems to be relagated to the bench as is to be expected, McCauley can't crack the starting lineup but did come in and produce when he was asked to (again expected).

I don't agree with the Cook benching and have changed my mind on the TJ benching.
    Both, IMHO should be still playing/starting.

With that said, even though we still have a couple of glaring holes to fix, I don't think its a matter of bad drafting or poor use of talent, but rather a indication that we not only seem to have quality starters at almost every position, but pretty gol 'darnit decent backups sitting behind them that can/will step in if needed.

Ultimately, isn't that what we want to see on this roster?
    to an extent i'd believe thats true, but we do have to take some issue with the late round picks too.
    i mean look at what the giants got outta 2 late round picks last year in their super bowl run.
    do we even have a 6th or 7th round pick on the team from this regimes drafts.
    and at wr i dont see the talent level in front of rice and allison.
    who, bobby wade?
    i mean even last year we had ferguson and wade playing when we coulda been at least let allison cut his teeth with rice out the last 4 games.
    and now that rice is back, again we have wade on the field over him.
    its just hard for me to have any faith in the powers that be to be doing things right.
    we only get to see some of these young guys a little, and i've seen more potential of playmaking and upside from guys like jackson, allison, and rice than any of the guys that have been pushed in front of them.
    and with an offense that can't pass, it kinda baffles me that the vets continue to get most of the playing time.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    You are the only one who thinks this guy is going to be anything. Even the Coaches pulled him. So what who expects? Me or the Coaches? We both seem to agree. Hmmm what does that say. He is garbage and I have a hard time believing he could be any good at Center plus we already have Birks replacement.

How much time do you think he should get? He has started 29 games at right tackle!!!!!!!!! Still he makes the same mistakes. Draft us an OT! They failed to do that last year and now they are paying for it just like at the QB position. Yet you keep defending this staff for their drafting. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
    Are you trying to tell me that he is playing the same way he played 29 games ago?

He is not consistent.
    He was taken to high.

I definitely attribute that to his talent level...

I'm not sure if New Mexico is playing top level talent in the NCAA, he's simply not cut out to be a lineman in the NFL.

EDIT: But, Fire Childress anyways.
    I suppose by your post that you honestly believe that.
    I am sure that you have seen that I don't make comments like that lightly so you know I honestly believe my statement.

Only time will tell who is right and who is wrong.
    Quick question, what kindof stuff would I find from you about Shanc, Griff, Greenway etc?

Seems to me all 3 had/have alot of posters on here who missed the mark when they assessed their skill level my friend.
    With that said, all three still make mistakes, but seem to be evolving into the player the coaching staff saw when they brought them on. Why can't Cook?
    I disagree with that statment.
    1)Griffen is still a completion waiting to happen. He can tackle but is always a step to late or, fails to use his 6'1 fram to time jumps properly. He is not what I would want out of my starting CB. He deserves the flak he gets.

2) Greenway. I have never raged on him. His injury in 2006 wasn't his fault. I think he had a good 2007 season and is having a great 2008. Anyone bitching at him is a fool. He is a good player.

3) Shank or Stank. You know how I feel about him. I must admit that he has grown on me some. Is he a better player than he was at the start of the season yes. Is he the answer at TE? No. How bad is our passing game when a 1 catch TE is now seen as good? Yes he gets open but mostly due to playaction of someone biting on AD. He is decent and an improvement can be and should be made.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

He is not consistent.
    He was taken to high.

I'm not sure if New Mexico is playing top level talent in the NCAA, he's simply not cut out to be a lineman in the NFL.

I am sure that you have seen that I don't make comments like that lightly so you know I honestly believe my statement.

Quick question, what kindof stuff would I find from you about Shanc, Griff, Greenway etc?

Seems to me all 3 had/have alot of posters on here who missed the mark when they assessed their skill level my friend.
    With that said, all three still make mistakes, but seem to be evolving into the player the coaching staff saw when they brought them on. Why can't Cook?
    1)Griffen is still a completion waiting to happen. He can tackle but is always a step to late or, fails to use his 6'1 fram to time jumps properly. He is not what I would want out of my starting CB. He deserves the flak he gets.

2) Greenway. I have never raged on him. His injury in 2006 wasn't his fault. I think he had a good 2007 season and is having a great 2008. Anyone bitching at him is a fool. He is a good player.

3) Shank or Stank. You know how I feel about him. I must admit that he has grown on me some. Is he a better player than he was at the start of the season yes. Is he the answer at TE? No. How bad is our passing game when a 1 catch TE is now seen as good? Yes he gets open but mostly due to playaction of someone biting on AD. He is decent and an improvement can be and should be made.
    1.Griffith does give up the underneath pass, I think that is more part of the scheme than his lack of coverage. Always keep the reciever in front of you and don't give up the big play. Also Griffith leads the team with 4 fumbles forced. Definetly not Winfield, but he is only 26 and has not yet played his best football, imho.
    2.I also like greenway, very fast and a great tackler. It's harder to blame the passing woes on the linebackers but I have seen a lot of short passes over the middle and more often than not it's because of broken coverage by a linebacker. Again this might be part of the scheme, keep the reciever in front of you.
    3.Shank is a prime example of why fans would not make good coaches and coaches shouldn't listen to fans. Most fans ridiculed the team for picking up Shank but now he looks like a legitamet recieving threat he was brought here to be.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=49238.msg869887#msg869887 date=1227714932]

He is not consistent.
    He was taken to high.

1.Griffith does give up the underneath pass, I think that is more part of the scheme than his lack of coverage. Always keep the reciever in front of you and don't give up the big play. Also Griffith leads the team with 4 fumbles forced. Definetly not Winfield, but he is only 26 and has not yet played his best football, imho.
    2.I also like greenway, very fast and a great tackler. It's harder to blame the passing woes on the linebackers but I have seen a lot of short passes over the middle and more often than not it's because of broken coverage by a linebacker. Again this might be part of the scheme, keep the reciever in front of you.
    3.Shank is a prime example of why fans would not make good coaches and coaches shouldn't listen to fans. Most fans ridiculed the team for picking up Shank but now he looks like a legitamet recieving threat he was brought here to be.
    [/quote]

for starters, its Griffin, not griffith.
    Its not just the underneath pass we gripe about.
    When he plays man, he gets beat.
    when he's in a position to knock a ball down, he can't do it.
    he is awful in jump balls, and hes not that short.
    Griffith leads with 4 fumbles forced, because he gets targeted lots.
    Not taking away from his tackling ability, which is good, but forced fumbles should not be the primary concern of a corner.
    If he's 26 and hasn't played his best football yet, he better get his ass in gear, because 28/29 is when players start to slow down.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Shank does not do enough to be considered a god send. He catches a few balls that's it. He is not a threat. Are we that low that when someone catches a ball it means that they ahve done something good?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

He is not consistent.
    He was taken to high.

Last time I checked, the F.O. makes the decisions, not just one person. (I.E. Childress or Foley)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

He is not consistent.
    He was taken to high.

Do you see significant improvement? I don't. Judging by the benching, I think the coaching staff agrees. So now you are blaming coaching when you are the one always preaching execution.
    What benching? Although he didn't start, Cook played last Sunday.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Bars92 is offline Rookie

Basically we are going to have to play the Cowboys, Redskins or Panthers in the first round of the playoffs. Am I right?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast