Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

As Vikings near a North title, team approach is on hold

[size=13pt]As Vikings near a North title, team approach is on hold[/size]

Can anyone look at what the Vikings have put together in November 2008 and say this team has a foundation built for long-term success?

By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

Last update: November 25, 2008 - 6:47 AM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ragz is offline GM

Re: As Vikings near a North title, team approach is on hold

interesting, though i thought the article kinda ended lame when more evidence coulda been shown.
    but not only are we not getting much in quantity out of our drafts, but were not getting much contribution from the ones that are here.
    if the plan was to build through the draft then you have to make a sacrifice in games where youth might hurt you.
    this staff has not appeared to be willing to do so unless forced into it.
    first the qb decisions and then the use of that qb.
    then the continuous lack of playing time for some.
    rice, allison, mccauley, and then benchings of cook and jackson.
    then you factor in our later round picks that aren't even on the team and what have we gained.
    is this a matter of bad drafting, bad development, poor use of talent?
    who knows, but its not promising.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'll put 2 dollars on development.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ragz" wrote:
    interesting, though i thought the article kinda ended lame when more evidence coulda been shown.
    but not only are we not getting much in quantity out of our drafts, but were not getting much contribution from the ones that are here.
    if the plan was to build through the draft then you have to make a sacrifice in games where youth might hurt you.
    then you factor in our later round picks that aren't even on the team and what have we gained.
    I hear what your saying however, I am not I sure I totally agree with you on the "Playing Time" comment.

Clearly we have some young talent sitting on the bench, but at some point, a team gets to a area in their rebuilding process were talented kids are forced to sit on the bench because of the quality of player in front of them.

Rice is getting playing time now that he is healthy, AA gets some reps but now that Rice is back seems to be relagated to the bench as is to be expected, McCauley can't crack the starting lineup but did come in and produce when he was asked to (again expected).

I don't agree with the Cook benching and have changed my mind on the TJ benching.
    Both, IMHO should be still playing/starting.

With that said, even though we still have a couple of glaring holes to fix, I don't think its a matter of bad drafting or poor use of talent, but rather a indication that we not only seem to have quality starters at almost every position, but pretty damn decent backups sitting behind them that can/will step in if needed.

Ultimately, isn't that what we want to see on this roster?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    I hear what your saying however, I am not I sure I totally agree with you on the "Playing Time" comment.

Clearly we have some young talent sitting on the bench, but at some point, a team gets to a area in their rebuilding process were talented kids are forced to sit on the bench because of the quality of player in front of them.

Rice is getting playing time now that he is healthy, AA gets some reps but now that Rice is back seems to be relagated to the bench as is to be expected, McCauley can't crack the starting lineup but did come in and produce when he was asked to (again expected).

I don't agree with the Cook benching and have changed my mind on the TJ benching.

With that said, even though we still have a couple of glaring holes to fix, I don't think its a matter of bad drafting or poor use of talent, but rather a indication that we not only seem to have quality starters at almost every position, but pretty damn decent backups sitting behind them that can/will step in if needed.

What makes you think Cook should be starting? He sucks ass and can't learn from his mistakes. How many penalties is this guy going to keep getting? It was nice to not have a OL penalty this game. He committed a false start penalty for the third straight game before the Jags game. Did you know we were the 2nd most penalized OL since 2004? Get rid of most of the problem. This is not rocket science and some of the reason he was benched. He has five for the season; that’s tied for third most in the league. Cook has eight penalties overall, which is tied for eighth. Cook also was beaten on the Tampa game’s final drive for an 8-yard sack that ended the Vikings’ comeback opportunity. He is garbage. When will you learn that!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:

With that said, even though we still have a couple of glaring holes to fix, I don't think its a matter of bad drafting or poor use of talent, but rather a indication that we not only seem to have quality starters at almost every position, but pretty gol 'darnit decent backups sitting behind them that can/will step in if needed.

What makes you think Cook should be starting? He sucks jiggly butt and can't learn from his mistakes. How many penalties is this guy going to keep getting? It was nice to not have a OL penalty this game. He committed a false start penalty for the third straight game before the Jags game. Did you know we were the 2nd most penalized OL since 2004? Get rid of most of the problem. This is not rocket science and some of the reason he was benched. He has five for the season; that’s tied for third most in the league. Cook has eight penalties overall, which is tied for eighth. Cook also was beaten on the Tampa game’s final drive for an 8-yard sack that ended the Vikings’ comeback opportunity. He is garbage. When will you learn that!
    Garbage or not what you expect?

When will you learn that you just don't grow a Tackle especially when he was groomed to be a C without some pain?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:

With that said, even though we still have a couple of glaring holes to fix, I don't think its a matter of bad drafting or poor use of talent, but rather a indication that we not only seem to have quality starters at almost every position, but pretty gol 'darnit decent backups sitting behind them that can/will step in if needed.

What makes you think Cook should be starting? He sucks jiggly butt and can't learn from his mistakes. How many penalties is this guy going to keep getting? It was nice to not have a OL penalty this game. He committed a false start penalty for the third straight game before the Jags game. Did you know we were the 2nd most penalized OL since 2004? Get rid of most of the problem. This is not rocket science and some of the reason he was benched. He has five for the season; that’s tied for third most in the league. Cook has eight penalties overall, which is tied for eighth. Cook also was beaten on the Tampa game’s final drive for an 8-yard sack that ended the Vikings’ comeback opportunity. He is garbage. When will you learn that!
    Garbage or not what you expect?

When will you learn that you just don't grow a Tackle especially when he was groomed to be a C without some pain?
    You are the only one who thinks this guy is going to be anything. Even the Coaches pulled him. So what who expects? Me or the Coaches? We both seem to agree. Hmmm what does that say. He is garbage and I have a hard time believing he could be any good at Center plus we already have Birks replacement.

How much time do you think he should get? He has started 29 games at right tackle!!!!!!!!! Still he makes the same mistakes. Draft us an OT! They failed to do that last year and now they are paying for it just like at the QB position. Yet you keep defending this staff for their drafting. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

"marstc09" wrote:
    You are the only one who thinks this guy is going to be anything. Even the Coaches pulled him. So what who expects? Me or the Coaches? We both seem to agree. Hmmm what does that say. He is garbage and I have a hard time believing he could be any good at Center plus we already have Birks replacement.

How much time do you think he should get? He has started 29 games at right tackle!!!!!!!!! Still he makes the same mistakes. Draft us an OT! They failed to do that last year and now they are paying for it just like at the QB position. Yet you keep defending this staff for their drafting. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
    Are you trying to tell me that he is playing the same way he played 29 games ago?

I will give you two points......

He is not consistent.
    I attribute that to coaching and not his talent level.
    He was taken to high.
    I attribute that to Dickhead Foley and how he messed that draft up.

Long story short, is he playing at the level of a NFL starting RT right now?
    No, but I still say that he will be.
    If not for this team, then for another.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

Are you trying to tell me that he is playing the same way he played 29 games ago?

He is not consistent.
    He was taken to high.

I definitely attribute that to his talent level...

I'm not sure if New Mexico is playing top level talent in the NCAA, he's simply not cut out to be a lineman in the NFL.

EDIT: But, Fire Childress anyways.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

He is not consistent.
    He was taken to high.

I definitely attribute that to his talent level...

I'm not sure if New Mexico is playing top level talent in the NCAA, he's simply not cut out to be a lineman in the NFL.

EDIT: But, Fire Childress anyways.
    I suppose by your post that you honestly believe that.
    I am sure that you have seen that I don't make comments like that lightly so you know I honestly believe my statement.

Only time will tell who is right and who is wrong.
    Quick question, what kindof stuff would I find from you about Shanc, Griff, Greenway etc?

Seems to me all 3 had/have alot of posters on here who missed the mark when they assessed their skill level my friend.
    With that said, all three still make mistakes, but seem to be evolving into the player the coaching staff saw when they brought them on. Why can't Cook?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast