Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Vikings near the middle in terms of salary cap space.

    he Vikings are right smack in the middle (#17 of 32)and have 7.01 million left to work with. That should allow for the remaining Rookie contracts and some additional money to fill out the roster when teams start making cuts. Any ideas ? Drop us a note in the comments section.
    Vikings near the middle in terms of salary cap space. Vikings Gab

    I think they should use that money now.

    Take Jareds 17 Mil, spread most of it out over a 3 year contract.
    Sign K-dubb to a 3 year contract.
    Sign Griff to a 4 year contract
    Sign Cook to a 4 year contract

    If you have any left over see what you can do for Rob, but make sure you have a bit left for emergencies.

    That way none of your key players hit the FA market next year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #2
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Vikings near the middle in terms of salary cap space. Vikings Gab

    I think they should use that money now.

    Take Jareds 17 Mil, spread most of it out over a 3 year contract.
    Sign K-dubb to a 3 year contract.
    Sign Griff to a 4 year contract
    Sign Cook to a 4 year contract

    If you have any left over see what you can do for Rob, but make sure you have a bit left for emergencies.

    That way none of your key players hit the FA market next year.
    I don't see any of that happening.

    JA has a whole thread dedicated to whether you should resign now or later from both a Vikings and a JA perspective. Didn't end well, so no need to rehash.

    I think KW needs to show that he's worth keeping for additional years based on his play this year and how strong Floyd comes on.

    Cook hasn't shown that he can play a full season yet and his play has been inconsistent. This year is his to prove whether the Vikings want to invest long term.

    Griffen I think has shown that he's worthy of a long term contract, so I could see this if it wasn't for one big factor. JA and BR. If you give Griffen a lucrative 4 year deal, then the writing is pretty much on the wall for either BR or JA. Again, I think they will wait and judge how the season pans out to determine who they want to try and keep going forward.

    I understand there is a great deal of risk in losing these guys by not signing them this year or that they could be more expensive, but I think the Vikings have shown that they are more than willing to pay market value for quality DL'men.

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I don't see any of that happening.

    JA has a whole thread dedicated to whether you should resign now or later from both a Vikings and a JA perspective. Didn't end well, so no need to rehash.

    I think KW needs to show that he's worth keeping for additional years based on his play this year and how strong Floyd comes on.

    Cook hasn't shown that he can play a full season yet and his play has been inconsistent. This year is his to prove whether the Vikings want to invest long term.

    Griffen I think has shown that he's worthy of a long term contract, so I could see this if it wasn't for one big factor. JA and BR. If you give Griffen a lucrative 4 year deal, then the writing is pretty much on the wall for either BR or JA. Again, I think they will wait and judge how the season pans out to determine who they want to try and keep going forward.

    I understand there is a great deal of risk in losing these guys by not signing them this year or that they could be more expensive, but I think the Vikings have shown that they are more than willing to pay market value for quality DL'men.
    Good stuff that all makes sense, however,

    K-dubb can be had for a contract that isn't very much I think. This team is close and I think he will want to stay a part of that effort. Truth is, I think you could almost see him resigned and then moved to a role were he doesn't start/take alot of reps so that he can be fresh late in games and at the end of the year......Something like that instead of a Evans would be a very nice compliment to some young starters.

    JA is the same thing only as a starter. I'm of a mind he does have 3 good years of starting left. Question is, does he fit into the rotation ideas that our new D-coord wants to do.

    Cook has had some bad luck. Kid can ball and he needs to be resigned before he hits the open market. Even a marginal CB with his size will command top dollar.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Good stuff that all makes sense, however,

    K-dubb can be had for a contract that isn't very much I think. This team is close and I think he will want to stay a part of that effort. Truth is, I think you could almost see him resigned and then moved to a role were he doesn't start/take alot of reps so that he can be fresh late in games and at the end of the year......Something like that instead of a Evans would be a very nice compliment to some young starters.

    JA is the same thing only as a starter. I'm of a mind he does have 3 good years of starting left. Question is, does he fit into the rotation ideas that our new D-coord wants to do.

    Cook has had some bad luck. Kid can ball and he needs to be resigned before he hits the open market. Even a marginal CB with his size will command top dollar.
    I can agree with all that accept for Cook, however, I don't know that signing them early is the wisest move. KW may very well get resigned, especially if he is willing to take significantly less than he is making this year and his willing to be a role player. I think this would be a great move for MN if KW is onboard.

    On Cook, how much bad luck is left with him...he's a significant risk. When Cook is on his game, he is good, but when you look at how much he's contributed over the last 3 years, it is not worthy of a big contract. If he really feels he can work himself into a situation where he can command top dollar, then it may be hard to sign him now for a bargain contract. I also think he has shown enough concerns in his first 3 years that he would have to play pretty lights out in 2013 to get a big contract. If he starts off the year well, then the Vikings may very well try to lock him into a longer contract, but at this point, I think they need to see more.

    I think JA has a good 3 years as well, however, I also think he will have a high value on the open market that might be hard for the Vikings to match. I believe the FO would love to lock down JA for another 3-4 years, but the price has to be right. Especially if they feel Griffen is up to the challenge to step in. Also, I don't think waiting will hurt the Vikings negotiating power, his market price is very high right now.

  5. #5
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

    Cook has had some bad luck. Kid can ball and he needs to be resigned before he hits the open market. Even a marginal CB with his size will command top dollar.
    Could be, or he could be like Rice and leave for a big contract and continue to not really live up to the dollars his contract is worth.
    2 Years. 82 receptions, about 1200 yards and 9 TD's. Not really worth us keeping for those stats.

  6. #6
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    ? Sign K-dubb to a 3 year contract? They just restructured his contract in April.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #7
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    ? Sign K-dubb to a 3 year contract? They just restructured his contract in April.

    That restructure makes him a UFA in 2014. So if we want him back we need to give him a new contract.

    Personally I think he is at the end of his usefulness and we need to get younger at his position. Hopefully with the guy we used a first round pick on.

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    That restructure makes him a UFA in 2014. So if we want him back we need to give him a new contract.

    Personally I think he is at the end of his usefulness and we need to get younger at his position. Hopefully with the guy we used a first round pick on.
    Thus one of the reasons for the restructure, making him a FA in 2014.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •