Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikings Must Trade Percy Harvin....

Huge Percy fan but the more I see the money teams are willing to part out to WRs, the less and less I think it is in our best interest to keep him on our roster. After Bowe's deal yesterday (5 years 54 million). I don't see how it would be possible to tie up that amount of money into 1 player. The guy is versatile and explosive but can be taken away with a double team. At this point, we need to trade him to get something for him and invest in a young WR. He will send us to cap hell quickly.

Your thoughts?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    But if we add receivers, like everyone wants to, can teams afford to double team a receiver in the slot? Look at the Welker and Moss combination New England had going for a few seasons. I'm not saying we need to draft/pick up a guy who's gonna break the single season receiving TD record for this analogy to work.

I think a player, who if he gives you a full season is going to average over 2000 total yards is worth what the Chiefs overpaid Dwayne Bowe.

And Harvin IS a young WR. He'll be 25 when the season begins. Everyone seems to forget that. A four season veteran at 24 years old. He's tremendously talented, young and experienced. We won't be able to say the same for anyone we replace him with, if he's replaced.

You may say we must trade him, but there's beyond equal evidence for why we must not.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Huge Percy fan but the more I see the money teams are willing to part out to WRs, the less and less I think it is in our best interest to keep him on our roster. After Bowe's deal yesterday (5 years 54 million). I don't see how it would be possible to tie up that amount of money into 1 player. The guy is versatile and explosive but can be taken away with a double team. At this point, we need to trade him to get something for him and invest in a young WR. He will send us to cap hell quickly.

Your thoughts?
    So what you're saying is we should trade AD as well? Afterall, we did tie up 96 million in 7 years into 1 player. Perhaps at this point, you feel we need to trade him to get something for him and invest in a young RB. He is sending us to cap hell quickly.

Bottom line is great players get paid & having great players is necessary to wining SB's. The odds are slim where you're going to have a great team whose entire roster & star players are all going to be working under rookie contracts and/or minimum salary.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    I agree he is a major talent, but cancer is cancer. You have to try to get rid of it or it will spread.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    We still don't know the whole "cancer" story. And it's easy to see his side too...I mean really, why he might be frustrated with the offense at times? That he does deserve more money, because, he fills 3 roles for us and all of them well!?

I bet Bizdealski can work something out to keep him happy and give the team some sort of cut away option too. He's too talented to just throw away, so if nobody offers what he's worth, then I don't think trading him is an option.

Ya know, all of this is rumor...Harvin hasn't said a word about it, and Spielman keeps saying "there's no intent to trade Percy Harvin." Just saying, whole lot o smoke, but no signs of fire...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    So what you're saying is we should trade AD as well? Afterall, we did tie up 96 million in 7 years into 1 player. Perhaps at this point, you feel we need to trade him to get something for him and invest in a young RB. He is sending us to cap hell quickly.

Bottom line is great players get paid & having great players is necessary to wining SB's. The odds are slim where you're going to have a great team whose entire roster & star players are all going to be working under rookie contracts and/or minimum salary.
    A Stud WR is not a position needed to win a superbowl. Having a great WR corp is. When you type up your corps money in one player... you are losing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    True, but we have been proving for 7 years that not having stud WR's really sucks for us fans....

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    True, but we have been proving for 7 years that not having stud WR's really sucks for us fans....
    I want a stud Wr. I just don't want to pay a crazy amount of money for him. Look GB. Is Nelson killing their cap?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The Vikings Must Trade Percy Harvin....

Ahhh. You want to have your cake and eat it too.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    A Stud WR is not a position needed to win a superbowl. Having a great WR corp is. When you type up your corps money in one player... you are losing.
    How many teams can you name that have won a Super Bowl, but don't have a stud player on their team making a lot of money?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast