Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
    I think it's entirely possible that Ponder is worse than TJack ever was.
    I guess it's possible...

Not very probably, but hell - anything's possible...
    It's not just possible, it's 100% fact. Whether or not you chose to accept that is your call.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Vikings coach Leslie Frazier stands behind struggling QB Christian Ponder

Frazier knows that Ponder is still a work in progress. He also knows that Ponder has demonstrated some skills and then, when he is under pressure, those skills don't always show up. Frazier is going to patient with Ponder, something the fans don't always show. But even Frazier knows that a quarterback has to develop and adjust to the game at the NFL level, because the NFL isn't going to adjust to him.

This last bit I have to disagree with as teams have collected film on him and this offense they have adjusted and its working but or coaches have figured out what to do next.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Tupac said it best

"I suffered so many years"
    "And shed so many tears"

2Pac - So Many Tears - YouTube

Marc Nudelman is offline Waterboy
    The saddest truth....the Vikes have not had a first rate, REAL, NFL quality coach since I was a kid and Bud Grant was the fearless leader!!!! That is really sick.....Les Steckle, Denny "Choke" Green, Chilly my Willy, and now Lezzie "No Experience Needed" Frazier....its a lame list....

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    We DO NOT need to stick with Ponder, we NEED to make a change. He is better than one QB in the league, Blaine Gabbert, and at this point that is debatable!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Some exerpts from pro Football Weekly's scouting report on Ponder:

Negatives- .....accuracy wanes down the field. Average decision maker- takes unnecessary risks trying to make plays and lacks the velocity to squeeze the ball into coverage. Makes some bad reads and head-scratching decisions. Puts a lot of arc on the ball and often underthrows deep receivers- cannot cut it loose through the wind. Struggles guaging his own arm and touch.

Summary_ An athletic dink-and-dunk West Coast passer who has been snakebitten by injuries, Ponder has everything teams could want intangibly in a quarterback- intelligence, toughness, competiveness and leadership qualities. However, his physical limitations will always leave teams wanting more and invite injury. Has the poise and confidence desired in a backup with potential to eventually become a good, not great, starter.

NFL Projection- Third to fourth round pick.

About sums up what we've seen doesn't it? I noticed the wussy arc on the ball right off the get go. How we took this guy 12th is still a mystery to me. He was really on no one else's radar screen at the time as far as I know. I remember commentators being surprised. Heck, I really didn't know who he was other than he played on average Fl. State teams. Not looking like a very smart pick, or reach, right now. But we're stuck with him for the time being so I hope the boy figures it out. The "tangibles" are pretty important too, I would think.

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    No reason to make a change. Webb isn't the answer, so just stick with Ponder for the remainder of the year. Then at the end of the year evaluate him and decide if we need to target a QB in the draft. Putting him on the bench does nothing but leave unanswered questions.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    No reason to make a change. Webb isn't the answer, so just stick with Ponder for the remainder of the year. Then at the end of the year evaluate him and decide if we need to target a QB in the draft. Putting him on the bench does nothing but leave unanswered questions.
    I agree... we need to give him the entire year so that way when he stinks it up the rest of the year we don't have to worry about giving him another chance next year...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    This.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Some exerpts from pro Football Weekly's scouting report on Ponder:

Negatives- .....accuracy wanes down the field. Average decision maker- takes unnecessary risks trying to make plays and lacks the velocity to squeeze the ball into coverage. Makes some bad reads and head-scratching decisions. Puts a lot of arc on the ball and often underthrows deep receivers- cannot cut it loose through the wind. Struggles guaging his own arm and touch.

Summary_ An athletic dink-and-dunk West Coast passer who has been snakebitten by injuries, Ponder has everything teams could want intangibly in a quarterback- intelligence, toughness, competiveness and leadership qualities. However, his physical limitations will always leave teams wanting more and invite injury. Has the poise and confidence desired in a backup with potential to eventually become a good, not great, starter.

NFL Projection- Third to fourth round pick.

About sums up what we've seen doesn't it? I noticed the wussy arc on the ball right off the get go. How we took this guy 12th is still a mystery to me. He was really on no one else's radar screen at the time as far as I know. I remember commentators being surprised. Heck, I really didn't know who he was other than he played on average Fl. State teams. Not looking like a very smart pick, or reach, right now. But we're stuck with him for the time being so I hope the boy figures it out. The "tangibles" are pretty important too, I would think.
    I think they did a decent job describing him (although I noticed you failed to quote the whole paragraph of POSITIVES there), but I would like to TRY and put all of this nonsense about draft projections to rest once and for all.

1) I don't know where you got your ProFootballWeekly scouting report from, but the one on their site doesn't say "Third to fourth round pick". It says "Top-50 pick". Here is the link: ProFootballWeekly.com - Vikings first-round scouting report: QB Christian Ponder, Florida State
    Summary: An athletic, dink-and-dunk, West Coast passer who has been snake-bitten by injuries, Ponder has everything teams could want intangibly in a quarterback - intelligence, toughness, competitiveness and leadership qualities. However, his physical limitations will always leave teams wanting more and invite injury. Has the poise and confidence desired in a backup with potential to eventually become a good, not great, starter.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick.
    I swear, every time someone brings up the draft the "projections" seem to be lower. Next someone is going to try and say he was a projected 6th rounder.

So to set the story straight - Ponder was projected as a mid second round pick. Let's at least start there.

2) That means that Ponder was still picked a full round higher than he was projected. Does that make him a reach? Probably. But both Ponder's and Dalton's stock was going up fairly rapidly in the week before the draft. Peter King expected that both would be picked in the first round.
    Peter King: NFL sources say Ex-Florida State QB Christian Ponder is ‘red hot’ – Chopping Block – Seminoles Blog – Orlando Sentinel

3) There was a mini-run on QBs in the draft, and QB was easily the biggest position of need for us. Newton was obviously gone. But Locker and Gabbert went in the top 10 as well. Every single draft ranking I have ever been able to find had Ponder ranked as the the fourth or fifth highest ranked QB. Given what was happening in #2, I think there was a very real possibility of a QB not being there when the Vikings picked in round 2. And it turns out that this was indeed the case, with Dalton and Kaepernick going very high in round 2. Mallett was the only QB left for the Vikings had they waited.

What would you have done? Keep in mind this is without the benefit of hindsight. I would have preferred the Vikings trade down in the round and still go after Ponder or Dalton, but that requires someone willing to trade. And again, without hindsight, who knows how far down we could have safely traded?

So did the Vikings reach for Ponder? Well, yes. They did. He didn't necessarily warrant a #12 pick. But what was the alternative? TJack was already cut loose. Ponder may not have been the 12th best player in the draft, but he was a justifiable pick at #12.

Now he needs to play like a #12 pick, or next year we will be shopping again.
    Last edited by NodakPaul; 11-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast