Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    FanSince74 is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    I am not panicking over one loss, and quite frankly I would be more nervous going into the playoffs without another loss (i.e. law of averages).

    But the one thing I have heard very little talk about this season has been Peterson's dramatic lack of production. Arizona is now shutting him down?? I know defenses are taking away the edges and doing as much as they can to stop him (which is part of the reason for Favre's success), but down the stretch they NEED to get back to running the ball. Favre cannot stand back there like Tom Brady and throw the ball 45 times and expect to win. That is not a recipe for winning. Coaches need to force the run more often and get Peterson the ball. That will make the passing game so much more effective. I can see them making a quick exit when a playoff-caliber team takes away Peterson and then makes the Vikings offense much less intimidating. Then Favre will start forcing balls and the offense will look very, very vulnerable. I saw it last night and the Cards are not the Saints. Which leads me to the secondary....ouch. The Saints would torch us for 60 with what we have back there right now. Can you tell I've been a fan for 25 years??

  2. #2
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,497

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    Being completely facetious, I'll fill in the blank with "the Los Angeles stadium move". Hey, it worked for the Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens, as well as the LA/St. Louis Rams.

    Otherwise, I'd say that they need to start dominating the line of scrimmage and punishing people with the running game. Control the clock more, keep the ball away from the opponent. There have been far too many 1, 0, and negative yard runs this season for AD. We should be pounding other teams into submission with sheer force and physicality.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    Couple of things to consider...

    a. Changes at C and RT.
    b. Changes to the blocking scheme.
    c. What is being called at the line vs what was sent in from the sideline.

    I'm not so sure that (a) is the primary reason for his drop off but it can't be discounted.

    Item (b) has been touched on a bit on here but no one really has a answer of its significance when dealing with the ZB scheme. From the little that I know, the change to a bit of a "Tracking" approach simplifies the blocking assignments and limits some of the issues related to handing off (when double teaming) and getting to the next level.

    Initially I thought this was done to help alleviate some of the penalties that you can get while running misdirection plays while using a ZB'ing scheme. Course we aren't seeing enough of those "Misdirection" plays so that a change in blocking schemes could be justified.

    I think most of what we saw yesterday can be attributed to item (c). I think everyone was confused with respect to what the D was doing/showing pre-snap. Hard to made a line call when you are looking at a "Ameoba" of players off the line.

    Back to the bigger issue at hand. Not sure if our issues are scheme issues. Overlord did a nice breakdown were he shows guys getting pushed deep into the backfield.

    When a guy like Hutch is struggling I think it can be attributed to something worse than scheme.

    All in all, your question is a tough one to answer. Someone with alot more knowledge than I have needs to answer the question......

    DELRIO......Comeout comeout were ever you are.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    Im not sure if it's the scheme or players just getting beat at the point of attack

    They get great jumps and too much penetration.. We struggle to hold the blocks and create lanes

    After that I don't see many guys getting to the second level

  5. #5
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    Also I don't think the Ameoba look confused the line

    They rarely sent them

    We just didn't hold our blocks..Dockett was getting too much penetration up the middle

    And Berry and thier other end held the contain well and pressured when needed

    Just outplayed IMO

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    V4L wrote:
    Also I don't think the Ameoba look confused the line

    They rarely sent them

    We just didn't hold our blocks..Dockett was getting too much penetration up the middle

    And Berry and thier other end held the contain well and pressured when needed

    Just outplayed IMO
    I don't think they intended to "Send them".

    Putting a LB deep in coverage and moving a S up close who's only job to was to mirror AD and disguising that out of the Ameoba was what confused them. Not who was rushing the QB.

    I kindof liken it to when they started with the new concept of dropping a DT or a DE back into coverage.

    Trust me when I tell you the QB either didn't see them or he just saw a shirt and checked off to another route/reciever because of how confusing it was. Hell we still see DT's getting INT's out of that little trick.

    This was a look designed to do the following:

    a. Make our QB be indicisive with his throws.
    b. Force our WR's from going to openings in the zones/slow routes
    c. Cause confusion on who should block who at the line.

    The Cards did something pretty inovative if you as me and did it pretty damn good.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    Yah that stuff was crazy

    They played back alot

    I think the key is spread them out 3-4 wide.. Quick slants

    Percy and Sid seemed to be hittin them pretty good

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    V4L wrote:
    Yah that stuff was crazy

    They played back alot

    I think the key is spread them out 3-4 wide.. Quick slants

    Percy and Sid seemed to be hittin them pretty good
    I don't watch re-airs that much during the regular season, especially if its a game I watched, but this one had something new in it.

    I hope the NFLN guys do a good break down on the "Ameoba".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    Vikings must do ____ to make the Super Bowl:
    This year: There is nothing we can do. We will lose in the first playoff game we play.

    Next year: Fire Childress. If his team comes out that flat on both sides of the ball in a nationally televised, primetime game against the Super Bowl runner-ups what can we get up for?

    Where's the heart? The tenacity? The ego?

    A team with as much talent as we have should be flying around knocking people out, breaking off big chunks of yardage play after play, snarling and spitting the whole time. Let the opposition know who's boss.

    We need more than just talent, which Childress has hid behind an abundance of for a few years now. More than just talent, we need that spark, confidence, that drive, the will to win. Look at how the 49ers and the Ravens played us. Do you think that came from talent? Nuh-uh, no way brother. That was all heart.

    We should have gone into Arizona last night and put our foot directly in Whisenhunt's ass. Should've sacked Warner more times than we could keep track of in our heads, Peterson should have torn up the field, that was a game we were supposed to win. We came out flatter than a witch's tit in Kansas. They dominated us in every aspect of the game. Not everyone is a self-motivator like Allen and Peterson(or Harvin apparently, he was the one bright spot last night) most guys need to be coached up to play. You think that the Raiders beat the Steelers because of the talent on the field yesterday? Nope. Crazy-ass Tom Cable probably put some fire in their bellies and unleashed them on Pittsburgh like a bunch of animals.

    We will match up with, and beat any team we go against on paper. But we will never win a Super Bowl with Brad Childress as a head coach. He might be an "offensive mastermind," a "QB guru," or "run a kick ass offense." But if he can't get them to play every week, or play when it counts, he's as good as dirt. Can him when we lose in the playoffs, hire someone with a pair of balls and a temper. There's a few guys out there with those qualities plus Super Bowl rings right now that I'm sure would love to hop on board our longship stacked with talented (Minnesota) Vikings.

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:VIKINGS MUST DO ___ TO MAKE THE SUPER BOWL...

    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Vikings must do ____ to make the Super Bowl:
    This year: There is nothing we can do. We will lose in the first playoff game we play.

    Next year: Fire Childress. If his team comes out that flat on both sides of the ball in a nationally televised, primetime game against the Super Bowl runner-ups what can we get up for?

    Where's the heart? The tenacity? The ego?

    A team with as much talent as we have should be flying around knocking people out, breaking off big chunks of yardage play after play, snarling and spitting the whole time. Let the opposition know who's boss.

    We need more than just talent, which Childress has hid behind an abundance of for a few years now. More than just talent, we need that spark, confidence, that drive, the will to win. Look at how the 49ers and the Ravens played us. Do you think that came from talent? Nuh-uh, no way brother. That was all heart.

    We should have gone into Arizona last night and put our foot directly in Whisenhunt's ass. Should've sacked Warner more times than we could keep track of in our heads, Peterson should have torn up the field, that was a game we were supposed to win. We came out flatter than a witch's tit in Kansas. They dominated us in every aspect of the game. Not everyone is a self-motivator like Allen and Peterson(or Harvin apparently, he was the one bright spot last night) most guys need to be coached up to play. You think that the Raiders beat the Steelers because of the talent on the field yesterday? Nope. Crazy-ass Tom Cable probably put some fire in their bellies and unleashed them on Pittsburgh like a bunch of animals.

    We will match up with, and beat any team we go against on paper. But we will never win a Super Bowl with Brad Childress as a head coach. He might be an "offensive mastermind," a "QB guru," or "run a kick ass offense." But if he can't get them to play every week, or play when it counts, he's as good as dirt. Can him when we lose in the playoffs, hire someone with a pair of balls and a temper. There's a few guys out there with those qualities plus Super Bowl rings right now that I'm sure would love to hop on board our longship stacked with talented (Minnesota) Vikings.
    I'm tired of how you beat around the bush my friend. I wish, just for one time, you would tell us what you really think. B)

    On a side (but somewhat related discussion) note, should Tomlin get fired for how the defending SB champions are playing?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Greatest players never to make the Super Bowl
    By gregair13 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 12:37 AM
  2. LXXX years of Super Bowl history - Vikings to win Super Bowl XLVI?
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
  3. top 10 teams to not make the Super Bowl
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 06:06 PM
  4. Vikings hosting Super Bowl...
    By bono in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
  5. VIKINGS WIN THE SUPER BOWL
    By BigEasyViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •