Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I have to throw out an honorable mention to Archie Manning. That is the first retread I really remember well(Was a bit young to remember much of Kapp) and he was really washed up when we got him.
    Archie was only a back up QB (for Kramer) and at most started 2 games for the Vikings. Hard to put an aged backup QB up there. If anyone from that year when Manning played the most for us should be on Mt. Suckmost, it should be Les Steckel. I think he was more detrimental to the Vikings than any player was.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Archie was only a back up QB (for Kramer) and at most started 2 games for the Vikings. Hard to put an aged backup QB up there. If anyone from that year when Manning played the most for us should be on Mt. Suckmost, it should be Les Steckel. I think he was more detrimental to the Vikings than any player was.
    Gus Frerotte was 37, 2 years older than Manning was when he was with the Vikings as a back...and became a starter for a healthy other guy, Randall Cunningham was 35 as a Viking, Moon was 38, Jim McMahon was 34.....and then there was that other guy....good ol' boy, hunted possum or armadillo's from his riding mower....wasn't he like 50?I forget about Brad Johnson when he was 37 as well and a backup but ended up being a starter same age as McNabb to....but he was a starter that became a backup.
    Last edited by vikinggreg; 07-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, maybe it just seems worse because it was a while ago. Heck, when it comes down to it maybe we should put Fran the Man up there for throwing 32 INT's compared to 25 TD's his last year.

34 TD's and 46 INT's in his last 2 years were epic. Imaging how much you would be ragging on Ponder if he put up those numbers. lol

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    I have to throw out an honorable mention to Archie Manning. That is the first retread I really remember well(Was a bit young to remember much of Kapp) and he was really washed up when we got him.
    Exactly...ruined many things did Less,

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Well, he wasn't the top of the list, but I think Childress deserves an honorable mention here, considering the mess he left, and his reign here.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Blog Entries

Vikings Mt. Suckmost

Good point. Childress did much more damage than Steckel did to the team.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Good point. Childress did much more damage than Steckel did to the team.
    Probably because Childress was here 6 years to Steckel's 1. I'd hate to even think what the Vikings would have been like after 6 years of Steckel.
    Last edited by singersp; 07-07-2013 at 07:15 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    One kick away from the superbowl, 12 men on the feild....

Brad Childress.

Blog Entries
    Probably because Childress was here 6 year to Steckel's 1. I'd hate to even think what the Vikings would have been like after 6 years of Steckel.
    That year was going to be tough no matter who coached the tea. there were QB injuries, the defense was in a transition and they had some new players like Millard and browner who were young and who started to really take off the next year. I really think the team would have done nearly as well with another year of Steckel as they did going back one more time to Grant. Although if they would have just promoted Burnsie right away instead of Steckel it may have given more stability through the middle of the decade.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    That year was going to be tough no matter who coached the tea. there were QB injuries, the defense was in a transition and they had some new players like Millard and browner who were young and who started to really take off the next year. I really think the team would have done nearly as well with another year of Steckel as they did going back one more time to Grant. Although if they would have just promoted Burnsie right away instead of Steckel it may have given more stability through the middle of the decade.
    The Les Steckel year was personally my most painful ever as a Vikings fan. Finishing 3-13 in 2011 was brutal, but, Steckel was a bomb, a terrible hire, and, a disaster. No, Steckel was ill fit to be a HC and was never placed there ever again. He, my friend, was awful...simply awful. The Childress comparison is moot...Steckel, as a Head Coach, cannot hold a candle to Childress.

Steckel, as a person, is quite impressive. He has a triple degree, served as a Marine (thank you, SIR), and, was a successful Assistant Coach. But, as a Head Coach, for our Team, he was a complete, unmitigated, disaster.

Regarding our beloved Burnsie, I love him (if you haven't met him, he's EXACTLY what you think he is). He contributed to the fateful decision to bring in Darrin Nelson vs Marcus Allen , and, DEFENDED it. Hindsight aside...picking Allen was a fucking no-brainer.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast